British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visa advise and environmental sector jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-advise-environmental-sector-jobs-859828/)

ohdearizzy Jun 9th 2015 2:09 pm

Visa advise and environmental sector jobs

Hi

I am planning to move to NZ once I finish my Environmental Science MSc in a few months, and am currently considering which visa to go for, any advise would be appreciated :) So, working holiday visa, work visa or should I dive straight in and submit an EOI for residency?

I have already started applying for jobs, but am well aware that the chances of getting a job offer whilst still in the UK are incredibly slim.

I was thinking of getting a working holiday visa, so that I can do some rubbish job to keep me going whilst applying for a job I actually want, and then submitting an EOI once I have a job offer as that will take me over the point limit for automatic selection.

Other questions:

1. Do you think a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndome (very mild) and previous diagnosis of Social Anxiety (long since recovered) will reduce my chance of getting residency?

2. What are the chances of a non-kiwi graduate getting a job in the environmental sector?

Snap Shot Jun 10th 2015 1:51 am

Re: Visa advise and environmental sector jobs

Originally Posted by ohdearizzy (Post 11670528)
Hi

I am planning to move to NZ once I finish my Environmental Science MSc in a few months, and am currently considering which visa to go for, any advise would be appreciated :) So, working holiday visa, work visa or should I dive straight in and submit an EOI for residency?

I have already started applying for jobs, but am well aware that the chances of getting a job offer whilst still in the UK are incredibly slim.

I was thinking of getting a working holiday visa, so that I can do some rubbish job to keep me going whilst applying for a job I actually want, and then submitting an EOI once I have a job offer as that will take me over the point limit for automatic selection.

Other questions:

1. Do you think a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndome (very mild) and previous diagnosis of Social Anxiety (long since recovered) will reduce my chance of getting residency?

2. What are the chances of a non-kiwi graduate getting a job in the environmental sector?

It depends on how long you want to stay. If you get a WHV you are limited to how many hours per year you can work as it's really only to fund your holiday, not underpin your finances for a long term future.

I don't know how a work to residency visa works.

However, you might as well go for EOI whilst still at home so if you don't get it, it won't be as dire as having to leave the country should you not get it if you apply for it in NZ. Sorry to be negative. Your idea of getting any old job to boost your points for your EOI selection might be good. I guess what came first the chicken or the egg ?

1. I don't know. This will be covered in the medical part of the application.

2. Again don't know. Non-kiwi graduates get jobs all over New Zealand in all sorts of disciplines. You won't know until you try.

Good luck.

Persephone Jun 15th 2015 10:58 am

Hello and welcome to BE!

Originally Posted by ohdearizzy (Post 11670528)
Hi

One thought is whether you would have enough points to submit an EOI and if you do whether you have a chance of being selected. You need over 100 to submit an EOI but you really need 140pts or more or over 100 WITH a job offer to have any success. You'll just waste the cost of the EOI unless you stand a good chance of being selected. Your EOI will only stay in the pool for 6 months, it will then be withdrawn if not selected.
You would need a suitable job offer in order to apply for a Work Visa-this would mean either it is on any of the Skills Shortage Lists or your future employer can prove no NZers are available to do the job.

Yep, this does seem to be the case unfortunately

Not a bad idea, it gets you into NZ and can then look for jobs whilst here. And if you have no luck, then you've had a long holiday!
Other questions:

That will depend on what the medical assessor decides as you will probably be referred. However I am sure I've seen cases on here where those have got residency
Now that I can't answer, sorry

Hope this helps :)

ohdearizzy Aug 2nd 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for the replies :)

I currently have 120 points on the EOI, but no job offer so I've applied for a holiday visa :)