Visa Advice Required - Please?

Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:41 am
Just Joined

YRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the rough
Default Visa Advice Required - Please?

I am about to submit my EOI for PR. I am not in the Immediate/Long Term Shortage skills category - but I have 125 points.

The dilemma I have is that having sold our house we are in the position that would allow us to upsticks and come out to NZ immediately to:

1. Search for a job via the WTR route ($55k route).

2. I also have close family in NZ that have offered me the chance to work for their small family business (invest and become a Director) - but they are not accredited enployers - is this recognised as job offer for EOI for PR

3. Can I take a job offer earning less than $55K whilst submitting my EOI for PR

It's all very confusing! Which is the best option for myself and my family? I have a small pension of $30k NZ which would allow me to take a lower paid job.

Can anyone offer advice on my 3 options?

YRS Boy
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa Advice Required - Please?

Hi there

125 points is pretty good. you probably stand a good chance of being selected even though you don't have any bonus points for skills shortages etc. you might sit in the pool for a little while but it's quite a decent amt of points to get you selected.

I think the family business would count as a job offer but I think because they are not accredited they probably have to go through the same hoops as other companies who want to employ non-new zealanders ie be proven to have genuinely searched for a new zealander to do the job first. I don't know if there are any special circumstances for family businesses (maybe someone else can comment)

If you submit your EOI without a job offer and get selected and processed on this basis then I don't think it really matters what job you take and how much you earn. It is my understanding that once you get PR you can earn as you wish and no-one checks up on you (unless you got PR based on having a job offer, then I think you have to work in that job for 3 months etc). but if you are applying without a job offer then I don't think it matters what you do or if you are earning less than 55K.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. it's a complicated old process!!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:54 am
Just Joined

YRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the rough

Yes - it all seems to hang on that magic job offer dosn't it!

Best option it seems would be to go with the EOI and see what happens regarding the pool. We'll apply for jobs in the mean time from this end and if we get a job offer we'll just upgrade our EOI (think you can upgrade it can't you?). At least with the EOI route there is less pressure with the wage issue.

Keep the advice coming! I'm sure there must be loads of others in the same boat!

YRS Boy
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:50 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yes you can change your EOI. If you're still in the pool then you just change it online and resubmit [I'm sure they don't charge for this]. If you've already been selected then you contact NZIS directly and inform them of your job offer.
Getmethere is right, if you get PR without a job offer then NZIS do not check up on you. I came over in December 08 and NZIS have not contacted me at all about my work situation
Good luck
Sue
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sue R!

Am I correct/wrong that I can I take a job offer earning less than $55K after submitting my EOI for PR as long as they are accredited? I have got the chance to fly out in May to look for work (on a visitors visa ) before the rest of my family joins me in August( visitor and WHV).

Because I haven't been selected to submit an ITA yet does this mean I have still got to go for that magic $55k job and apply for a temporary work visa?

Just desperate to get out there and join family!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi YRSboy,

3. Can I take a job offer earning less than $55K whilst submitting my EOI for PR
As far as I can find out the job offer needs to be fulltime [ie >30hr per week].
I cannot find any stipulation as to minimum wage when applying under the EOI system. Obviously this is the case for a WTR visa but not sure about PR. I looked at the NZIS operational manual and couldn't see any reference to salary.
May be worth sending an email to NZIS asking about it just to make sure, look under contacts on the website. Cheaper [well free actually] than phoning NZ House at £1 per minute:curse:
They will send you the relevant bit of info
It depends on your profession as to how easy it would be to get a temp work visa. If you are on either of the Essential skills in demand lists then there shouldn't be a problem. If you are not then you have to work for an accredited employer or your potential employer will have to prove there are no NZers who can do the job.
Sue