Visa advice for media graduates

Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

LucyD89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa advice for media graduates

My husband and I are just beginning to look at emigrating, but do not match any jobs on the skilled visa list and we were just wondering if anyone could advise if we would be likely to gain a visa despite this. We've completed the points indicator online and we've both come back with 130 points (mine will go up to 140 when I complete my Masters in the summer) and that seems to be due to the fact that our bachelor degrees were in film and tv production which is on the identified future growth area list. However, neither of us decided to go into film and tv following university (due to the fact that we couldn't afford to move to London and work for free for a year like most media graduates have to) so therefore have no real experience in the industry, bar student work. Since graduating I have been training as a health care manager - and will have two years hospital management experience and an MSc in management at the end of this academic year and my husband has been working as a customer service advisor. Neither of us are adverse to working in the film and tv industry, and would in fact relish it should we be able to find paid jobs. Does anyone have any experience of this sector, or any advice on the visa?

Thank you

Lucy
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Visa advice for media graduates

Hi and welcome.

Regardless of the employment issue , if you would have 140 points that would be an automatic pull from the pool, so in with a good chance to be accepted.

With regards to the employment issue, I agree, you would have to think about how you would afford living here without work to come to.

Actually............
once you have your Masters and so you know you would have the 140 points, why not take up a Working Holiday Visa. Use this to travel around NZ a bit and also to look for suitable employment.