British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visa advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-advice-872904/)

AB19 Feb 21st 2016 6:45 pm

Visa advice

hi, I am new to the forum and I am looking for some visa advice. I have accepted a job offer from an accredited employer and was wondering which visa would be best. The skilled migrant visa is the one that I would prefer to have but I am concerned about the time it takes to get one so I'm considering the work to residence visa. I have already passed the medical but my present job has a 2 month notice period and I am concerned that getting a skilled migrant visa plus working my notice period will be too long for my new employer to wait. Advice on actual timescales would be appreciated.

MrsFychan Feb 21st 2016 10:32 pm

Re: Visa advice

processing times can be found here: Tips and processing times

most are as they state unless of course they need further information or have to query anything

AB19 Feb 21st 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks for your help. Work to residence looks like the way to go.

UktoNZ2016 Feb 24th 2016 1:35 pm

Apply under the SMC route. If you meet the criteria and your medical is the correct one. Once you've been selected and submit your ITA apply for a TWV. That's what we did was approved in 5 days. This way makes the TWV simple and easy. Apply for all your transcripts, police checks etc now.

That being said. It's been less than 2 weeks since we submitted our ITA and CO emailed yesterday to say it's been sent to the second person for checking. We are going in April so in hindsight we could of saved our TWV fees :( but at least we are going no matter how long it takes.

MrsFychan Feb 24th 2016 6:35 pm

can you please explain what a "TWV" is?

PB65 Feb 24th 2016 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11878314)
can you please explain what a "TWV" is?

Temporary Work Visa ?

UktoNZ2016 Feb 24th 2016 8:48 pm

Sorry yes. It's a temporary working visa.

We got a 2 year one that cancels out when the SMC visa is approved.

MrsFychan Feb 24th 2016 9:21 pm

ahh ok,Temp Work Visa, (to early in the morning brain not functioning.) thats what MrF got so he could start working straight off and update his EOI to take him over the magic 140.

He only got a 12mth one as that does not require a medical so he got it from Immigration Wellington within a number of hours. The ITA still took 3mths to process to the secondary check, they ask for his employment contract to be changed 3 times before they were happy with it, even though he was already working in the position. He got his medical done in NZ as he was here and working on the temp visa.
Obviously it does cost more as you have 2 visa's but if you need to start immediately its the way to go.

AB19 Feb 25th 2016 7:16 am

Thanks for the replies. Once I have my police certificate it will apply down both routes.

UktoNZ2016 Feb 25th 2016 9:59 am

You must put in the SMC visa first if your job requires professional registration eg nurse etc. As when you get your registration it stops you needing NZQA for SMC and then the TWV is a lot similar that way.

AB19 May 10th 2016 8:39 pm

A quick update on my visa application. Today my residence visa was approved and I will be moving to Auckland in July. Looking forward to a slightly different climate frm Scotland.

UktoNZ2016 May 11th 2016 4:54 am

Congrats. You will love this country.

AB19 May 11th 2016 5:35 am

Thanks, can't wait.