Which visa??

Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

sm79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which visa??

Hi,

I've been in discussions with an agency regarding employment in New Zealand. I have been advised the outlook is fairly positive as my occupation is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List and I have the relevant experience etc.

I am fairly new to the NZ visa process but I have been looking at either Work to Residence Visa, or a Work Visa as I am unsure how long I will stay at this time.

I would be very grateful if someone could advise if these visas are appropriate (generally speaking...I realise more information would be required for a definitive answer) and approximate processing times of each.

I have looked here for processing times:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/

This seems to suggest WTR processing time can be as short as 5 days if everything is in order. It also suggests that Work visa processing times are generally within 25 days (up to 4 weeks).

Am I reading this properly and is this information an accurate indication?

Sorry for all the qestions but I'm just starting out and want to be in a good position if/when a job offer comes through.

Thanks

Steven

PS...can WTR be applied for without a job offer and if so what is expected processing time for this?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:22 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which visa??

As your occupation is on the LTSSL then you have plenty of options. You can apply for WTR or a work visa and the employer would be free to offer you a job without having to fulfill any other conditions.
I can't help you with timelines as I applied for residency so someone else may come along and help you there. From what I've seen on here the granting of temporary visas is very quick.

The WTR and work visas are not issued unless you have a job offer in place. There are more conditions attached to the WTR visa compared to a work visa eg how much you need to earn.
If you have enough points you can gain residency without a job offer, this is really the only visa where a job offer is not necessary [excluding partnership etc]