which visa ?

Old May 2nd 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Red face which visa ?

Now my Better Half has recieved the job offer at last, we need to get the visa; but are unsure which route to take. The immigration web site is not very clear (well to us anyway) as to which one to apply for.i.e work to residence or expression of interest. What is the difference ?

I would be grateful for any advise, as going for the wrong one would waste valueable time & money that we don't have. The company seem to want him over there asap and we have already sold the house and although we are trying to go as slowly as possible with it I can see us having to move out before we have the visa sorted.

And another thing, medicals, what is involved, do you need to take anything with you for the doctor to look at ?
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: which visa ?

Is the employer an approved employer offering a salary over the $50k? If so, WTR might be quicker to process.

How many points do you have for an EoI? When is the next selection? This might be just as quick if you have over 140 points and a job offer.

I've been a while and my $ and points may be out of date. However my permanent residence came through 1 week after my WTR permit - doctor's reports satisfying immigration caused the delays.

We had to have our chest X-rays done first and take them with us to the medical.

Alison
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:37 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If you have over 100 points and a job offer you will be selected at the next fortnightly draw, the timings for the London office are as below:
Skilled Migrant applicants with job offers
The Pool draw, which would potentially allocate your Expression of Interest (EOI) to the London branch, takes place every two weeks.

A visa officer will make an initial assessment of your Expression of Interest (EOI) within 10 working days of the Pool draw. Your visa officer will then contact you, either inviting you to apply for residence or requesting further information.

Once the pre-populated application form is returned to the London branch, your visa officer will generally take between three weeks and three months to make a final decision on your application. Processing times largely depend on whether you have supplied your visa officer with everything they have requested in your Invitation to Apply, or if there any any other issues (such as medical conditions) that we need to follow up on.
Littleal is right in that you could go for WTR but that does depend on whether your job is on the LTSSL or with an accredited employer, I think you have to earn over $55K now though. I don't know how long that visa takes to process.
Other option is apply for PR and also for a temp work visa to cover you until your PR comes through. Again it does depend on what your job is as to how easy that may be. If not on either of the shortages lists then the employer would have to prove no kiwi could do the job so may be easier just to go straight for PR down the EOI route?.

You don't need to take anything to the medicals. Might be worth taking some history if you have an ongoing condition? I had everything done at the same place:had my examination, blood test and then went next door for the chest xray. You have to give a urine sample, if your BMI is greater than 35 then you will have to have certain fasting bloods done on top of the normal ones so worth going starved if you think that's a possibility, general medical exam and a breast exam if over 45years old. The forms are on the NZIS website and it is worth printing them off so you can start filling them in in advance, also to get an idea of what the doc will check for.
It really isn't that bad- and that's from someone who hates anything medical being done

Good luck
Sue
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:50 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb_steve View Post
Now my Better Half has recieved the job offer at last, we need to get the visa; but are unsure which route to take. The immigration web site is not very clear (well to us anyway) as to which one to apply for.i.e work to residence or expression of interest. What is the difference ?

I would be grateful for any advise, as going for the wrong one would waste valueable time & money that we don't have. The company seem to want him over there asap and we have already sold the house and although we are trying to go as slowly as possible with it I can see us having to move out before we have the visa sorted.

And another thing, medicals, what is involved, do you need to take anything with you for the doctor to look at ?
What is his occupation please? What is the job offer?

From this we can let you know which route to take or which route is the most likely outcome, but in most cases it will be filing out an EOI to start a skilled migrant application.

If his company really do pressure you to arrive on NZ so he can start work, then you can apply for a temporary work visa, but this would cost you more time and money.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Red face Re: which visa ?

The company is an accredited company and the offer is $65+ , he has spoke to New Zealand house in London & they have suggested the work to residense visa is the one to go for but I don't know what the difference between the visa's is.

I have a history of thyroid probs & have to take thyroxine for the rest of my life, this means having blood tests every year. Do the doc's need history from my normal GP or can I just tell them of my history. In other words do I need to ask my GP for a brief history to take with me or not.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Why not a work visa?