British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Very confused over which visa, am student fulfilling course requirement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/very-confused-over-visa-am-student-fulfilling-course-requirement-427575/)

Cava Fizz Feb 18th 2007 12:07 pm

Very confused over which visa, am student fulfilling course requirement

Hi,

First of all i am so happy at the moment I have been offered a job in Auckland for a minimun of 48 weeks.

My situation is I am a current undergraduate student at an England University. The job offer is to fufill a requirement of my course (to undertake a 48 week work placement)

Getting a job which took me about 5 months of emailing now seems like the easy bit compared to the minefield which is getting a visa.

At first I thought it was going to be simple by just applying for a student and trainee visa but these only apply for upto 6 months. So that is ruled out.

So I think I am going to have to apply under the temporary work route however; my job is not on the immediate skills shortage list.

My future employer has basiccly created a postion for me so this does not fit in with 'no new zealanders are availiable to do the job' caterorgry.

So in summary I don't no what visa to apply for or how to do it any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

NB/ I know I can get a visa becuase people from my course in the year above are working in NZ at the moment, the girl paid an agency to do it for her which I don't want to do.

Thanks you for any help

P2L Feb 18th 2007 12:32 pm

Re: Very confused over which visa, am student fulfilling course requirement

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz (Post 4418467)
Hi,

First of all i am so happy at the moment I have been offered a job in Auckland for a minimun of 48 weeks.

My situation is I am a current undergraduate student at an England University. The job offer is to fufill a requirement of my course (to undertake a 48 week work placement)

Getting a job which took me about 5 months of emailing now seems like the easy bit compared to the minefield which is getting a visa.

At first I thought it was going to be simple by just applying for a student and trainee visa but these only apply for upto 6 months. So that is ruled out.

So I think I am going to have to apply under the temporary work route however; my job is not on the immediate skills shortage list.

My future employer has basiccly created a postion for me so this does not fit in with 'no new zealanders are availiable to do the job' caterorgry.

So in summary I don't no what visa to apply for or how to do it any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

NB/ I know I can get a visa becuase people from my course in the year above are working in NZ at the moment, the girl paid an agency to do it for her which I don't want to do.

Thanks you for any help

Why not email immigration & ask which route they advise. :confused:

I would think that a student visa would be sufficient as lots of international students go to uni in NZ and I would have thought their course duration would be longer than 6 months?????

If you don't ask, you don't know :)

Cava Fizz Feb 18th 2007 12:55 pm

Hi,

I did email the immigration person and they sent me a very general answer back which didn't really help. They said...

You may apply for a work permit and/or visa if you meet the policy requirements, and your employer will need to provide some supporting information/documents in order to facilitate your application. There are guidelines and checklists available in the general work policy section to assist you in this process:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/Migra...y/GeneralWork/

Please note that you must have an acceptable offer of employment from a NZ employer in order to be considered for a work permit/visa.
which isnt really much different to the information I got from the web page.

I am worried that I will get turned down because of the points previously mentioned and that if my NZ employer has to prove that there are no natives who can do the job it might put them off and withdraw job offer.

at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...enttrainee.htm

it says about only upto 6 months

If you meet these requirements, we may issue you a work visa or permit for the time you require to undertake the training, up to six months. We will apply conditions of work visas and permits that relate to your practical training.
:confused:

Cava Fizz Feb 18th 2007 1:01 pm

I just replied but don't no where message has gone so here goies again.

I have emailed Immigration people and they replied with a not so helpful message. It takes 3 days to get a reply from them and my contact at the Auckland company wants me to let her know ASAP that I can fulfill all requirements for visa/work permit.

RE: Student Visa's the one I would want is one to allow me to undertake pracitcal work and it says

If you meet these requirements, we may issue you a work visa or permit for the time you require to undertake the training, up to six months. We will apply conditions of work visas and permits that relate to your practical training.
(http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...enttrainee.htm)

I am frightened that I will get turned down for a temporary work visa and that if my potential employer has to go through a lot of hassle to prove that there are no natives to do the job she might withdraw the offer.

P2L Feb 18th 2007 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz (Post 4418542)
I just replied but don't no where message has gone so here goies again.

I have emailed Immigration people and they replied with a not so helpful message. It takes 3 days to get a reply from them and my contact at the Auckland company wants me to let her know ASAP that I can fulfill all requirements for visa/work permit.

RE: Student Visa's the one I would want is one to allow me to undertake pracitcal work and it says

(http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...enttrainee.htm)

I am frightened that I will get turned down for a temporary work visa and that if my potential employer has to go through a lot of hassle to prove that there are no natives to do the job she might withdraw the offer.

Think you're just gonna have to take that risk. It's up to employer to prove to NZ Immigration the conditions of employing you , NOT you, something which they may have done previously, so let them sweat about that part ;)

Work Visas are processed very quickly from what others have posted previously.:thumbup:

Good Luck

Cava Fizz Feb 18th 2007 3:11 pm

Thank you Kev or Sarah or both of you:)

Have been looking at some companies who organise it for you and they seem to get you out there on a 6 month one and then you can apply for another six month one.

Hope my employer is happy with that.

BTW/ What is the general feeling regarding agencies who help you get a visa, are they vultures who feed on people without all the info or a neccessary aide.

At the moment I am treating them the same as no win no fee people an am loathe to use them*

I realise this maybe totally unjust.