Very confused! Any advice please?!

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:39 am
Just Joined

mm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nice
Default Very confused! Any advice please?!

Hello All,
I hope you don't mind me posting this epic but in desperate need of some advice!
My Partner and I are currently looking at the possibility of applying for a move to NZ on a skilled visa, but I'm really struggling to understand whether or not we have the right qualifications/work experience and despite clicking on every possible link on the Immigration website I still seem none the wiser!
I wonder, if I outline our situation, someone might be able to give us some advice??

I am a serving UK police officer. Prior to joining the job I obtained a Bathchelor of Arts Honours degree in Criminology from Liverpool University. Prior to that again, I obtained a Diploma in Counselling and worked as a Youth counsellor for a number of years.

My partner has Chainsaw and Pesticide qualifications from City and Guilds and worked as a Landscape Gardener/ Grounds Keeper for 7 years and is currently taking his City and Guilds Level 2 Plumbing.

If anyone can point us in the right direction, in terms of, if our work experience/qualifications count for anything, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again
Maria
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

mm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nice
Default Re: Very confused! Any advice please?!

Just wanted to update and say that, thanks to the 'List of Skilled Occupations' post, I have been able to establish that my skill is in Level 1 and my partners is in Level 2 c.
I've also discovered that my Degree is exempt from being assessed.
Now I just have to work out what it all means!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:57 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done all very mind boggling to start with

Good luck with all your plans & welcome to the site
You will find out loads on here and things you didnt realise you should know too

Just ask away

Dewb
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there. Can't advise but can point you in the right direction to find stuff.

Please take a look at the NZIS points indicator (click the link) As you can see or may already know , the SMC Skilled Migrant Category works on the points system.

Your degree will be worth points.

Your relevant work experience as a serving police officer is worth points.

Your occupation doesn't qualify for any bonus points, that I can see , as it isn't on the NZIS shortage lists.

Your partners NVQ 2 in plumbing isn't worth points.
For a plumbers UK quals to be recognised , the NVQ should be at least a level 3 .
Plumbers qualifications are assessed by the Plumbing Board of New Zealand. The PGDB prefers time served apprenticeships and would want to see qualifications to a professional career plumbing standard. This is NVQ 3 or above and included gas work , unvented systems etc. Please be aware that even time served plumbers and gasfitters with decades of experience need to undergo a 4 day exam and assessment here in NZ costing mega $$$ before they are even considered registered. Even then they must work for an employer .

For an occupation at Part C of the skilled occupations list

Originally Posted by NZIS
The occupation is included in part C of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 11 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and has either:
  1. at least three years of relevant recognised work experience and a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, level four on the Register (see SM14.5) (a qualification at level four on the Register must be a National Certificate); or
  2. at least three years of relevant recognised work experience and that current employment or the position in which the employment is offered, has an annual base salary of at least NZ$45,000.Note: For the avoidance of doubt, the annual base salary excludes employment related allowances (for example overtime, tool or uniform allowances, medical insurance, accommodation) and must be calculated on the basis of 40 hours' work per week.
It may be that your partner's quals will need to be assessed by NZQA to find out what NZ standard they match.

Please take a look at the following links to what NZIS says about recognised qualifications and see if you can find where his City & Guilds stand.

Recognised Qualifications

If the C&G is recognised and matches his occupation then I think it would be worth 20 points.

Perhaps start a new thread into the main NZ forum about police work in NZ. I seem to remember we have one serving officer who may be able to help.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Thankyou for that, it is very much appreciated!
I've posted another thread as suggested and thats got a few replies so thanks!
Maria
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are welcome. Have some karma
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there
we are from your neck of the woods so welcome & there is lots of advice on here. As you have probably gathered there are soooo many hoops to jump through , but very worth it