British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Verification of IT degrees by NZQA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/verification-degrees-nzqa-430978/)

palvanie Feb 27th 2007 8:41 pm

Verification of IT degrees by NZQA

Hi All;

I just wanted to know what kind of information is required by nzqa to verify an IT degree and get a postive report.

Do i need to send them just the original degree awarded and mark sheets, or do i need to send them all high school diplomas as well. Why do they need them and why do i send them my experience letters? I only wish to get my degree verified and held comapreable to nz level 7 degree.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

thank you and regards.

Amber and Chris Feb 27th 2007 9:57 pm

Re: Verification of IT degrees by NZQA

Hi there,
This won't be very useful, because I am sure you have done this but just in case:

when you filled in the EOI form the qualifications section has a link you can click to a big list of universities and their qualifications that are recognised, and what level they are at.

If you have a degree from a university, it should be on that list somewhere surely?

Be careful with NZQA - when I called Immigration to ask them something and mentioned I had had my qual (PGCE) assessed, she said, "why?" In the end the post-grad was worth no higher than the undergrad - maybe you can try to make sure that having the qual assessed will get you more points than not, before you send the money.

Not trying to be a downer, just want to make sure.

palvanie Feb 27th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris (Post 4462645)
Hi there,
This won't be very useful, because I am sure you have done this but just in case:

when you filled in the EOI form the qualifications section has a link you can click to a big list of universities and their qualifications that are recognised, and what level they are at.

If you have a degree from a university, it should be on that list somewhere surely?

Be careful with NZQA - when I called Immigration to ask them something and mentioned I had had my qual (PGCE) assessed, she said, "why?" In the end the post-grad was worth no higher than the undergrad - maybe you can try to make sure that having the qual assessed will get you more points than not, before you send the money.

Not trying to be a downer, just want to make sure.

Amber and chris;

Thanks for a quick response. Did you perhaps send your high schools diplomas (O levels, A Levels) etc as well? Or just the under graduate degree and your post graduate degree? nzqa sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare!

cheers.

Amber and Chris Feb 27th 2007 11:13 pm

I only did the "quick assessment" version - not the full assessment. So didn't have to send anything, just click and fill in a box with title of degree. Didn't make a hill of beans in the end!:)

palvanie Feb 28th 2007 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris (Post 4462955)
I only did the "quick assessment" version - not the full assessment. So didn't have to send anything, just click and fill in a box with title of degree. Didn't make a hill of beans in the end!:)

Thanks again. I understand. I had actually been advised by my consultant to go for the full assessment as it improves the chances of getting selected from the pool. I am just not comfortable with the idea of sending all my original documents, but perhaps I would have to do it anyways.

best regards.

Twig Mar 1st 2007 8:57 am

Originally Posted by palvanie (Post 4465500)
Thanks again. I understand. I had actually been advised by my consultant to go for the full assessment as it improves the chances of getting selected from the pool. I am just not comfortable with the idea of sending all my original documents, but perhaps I would have to do it anyways.

best regards.

Hello,

We recently sent off our quals to NZQA for a full assessment. Yes, very nervous about sending all originals but we sent it International Signed For by Royal Mail, quite expensive but you can track it all the way until it is signed for the other end.

Anyway, yes you do need to send all qualifications (including O Levels/CSE's etc) as well as your degree certificates. They like to see how you got to your final qualficiation. Basically, send everything you have, including all transcripts. You don't really need to get your work experience verified/references unless the work was relevant to you gaining your degree/diploma i.e. vocational training etc. They cannot assess your work experience per se.

BUT, I would check whether you really need to do a full assessment first, even if your consultant has told you otherwise. It's expensive, risky (posting all originals) and a palaver i.e can take months and months to sort out.

palvanie Mar 1st 2007 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Twig (Post 4468690)
Hello,

We recently sent off our quals to NZQA for a full assessment. Yes, very nervous about sending all originals but we sent it International Signed For by Royal Mail, quite expensive but you can track it all the way until it is signed for the other end.

Anyway, yes you do need to send all qualifications (including O Levels/CSE's etc) as well as your degree certificates. They like to see how you got to your final qualficiation. Basically, send everything you have, including all transcripts. You don't really need to get your work experience verified/references unless the work was relevant to you gaining your degree/diploma i.e. vocational training etc. They cannot assess your work experience per se.

BUT, I would check whether you really need to do a full assessment first, even if your consultant has told you otherwise. It's expensive, risky (posting all originals) and a palaver i.e can take months and months to sort out.

Thanks Twig;

much appriciated. please do find out as to if its absolutely cardinal to go for a full assessment out right and shate your findings here.

cheers.