British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   US and UK citizens questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/us-uk-citizens-questions-767031/)

saralwsmith Aug 2nd 2012 3:01 pm

US and UK citizens questions

I am actually a US citizen, but a UK resident at the moment. My husband is a UK citizen and resident. We are looking to possibly buy a business in New Zealand.

I'm not sure what the best plan for us is. The plan (tentatively) is to go to NZ for the summer 2013/2014 and see how the company in question is run, and whether it's something we are capable of taking over.

My husband previously spent two seasons working for this company (2007/2008 and 2008/2009). The plan we are looking at is to have the current owner sponsor my husband (again). I'm not sure exactly where that leaves me, or what I would need to do to join him and work while I'm there. I have previously had a working holiday visa for NZ, although the passport holding that has since been stolen.

If we go for a temporary type visa, but decide to buy the company, will this cause problems? Really, just any advice would be helpful. I've been looking at the NZ website all day and I'm still really unsure what the best plan is.

BEVS Aug 3rd 2012 12:57 am

Re: US and UK citizens questions

Okey Dokey. Let's get started then.

In short & as you probably know , when buying a business the application for this is called Long Term Business Visa.
It will make not much odds whether you are in NZ on a visitors visa or a temporary work visa.Any LTBV application will be judged on it's own merits.

The plan we are looking at is to have the current owner sponsor my husband (again).
Not sure what you mean by sponsor. NZ employers don't sponsor as such.

Under what occupation could this current NZ employer potentially offer your husband work.

If your husband is able to gain a temporary work visa, then you would apply for an open temporary work visa on the back of his application.

Originally Posted by saralwsmith (Post 10206932)
I am actually a US citizen, but a UK resident at the moment. My husband is a UK citizen and resident. We are looking to possibly buy a business in New Zealand.

I'm not sure what the best plan for us is. The plan (tentatively) is to go to NZ for the summer 2013/2014 and see how the company in question is run, and whether it's something we are capable of taking over.

My husband previously spent two seasons working for this company (2007/2008 and 2008/2009). I'm not sure exactly where that leaves me, or what I would need to do to join him and work while I'm there. I have previously had a working holiday visa for NZ, although the passport holding that has since been stolen.

If we go for a temporary type visa, but decide to buy the company, will this cause problems? Really, just any advice would be helpful. I've been looking at the NZ website all day and I'm still really unsure what the best plan is.

saralwsmith Aug 4th 2012 10:43 am

Thanks for your quick response! It's good to know we shouldn't have a problem if we do try to buy the business.

My husband is an outdoor sports instructor, as in White Water Rafting, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing...etc. He'd probably be hired as the Senior Instructor, as he was previously. I guess I don't know what it's actually called, but Mike's always just said he was sponsored by the owner of the company? He doesn't seem too worried about that part though. I don't know if he should be, since it's been a couple of years.

Thanks again for your help.

BEVS Aug 10th 2012 2:56 am

I take it he has qualifications in this

ANZSCO 452317 Other Sports Coach or Instructor
is seen as a skilled occupation by NZIS.

I can see no problem with a temporary work visa application, although the employer may need to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up this work.

It should be possible for you to submit a long term business visa whilst working under the temporary work visa. Note though that sometimes these applications can take some time for approval. You would need a business plan. Proof you know how to run such a business & need to show a profit within 2 years etc.

Could this employer offer your husband full time , long term, permanent work?
Don't know what age you are, but as this is seen as skilled work , it may be possible to put in a skilled migrant application once you are here and working.