British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Urgent Request - need to know within 6 hours (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/urgent-request-need-know-within-6-hours-725027/)

nightair Jul 15th 2011 5:17 pm

Urgent Request - need to know within 6 hours

Hi

I'm a UK doctor applying for residency as I have a year contract to work at a NZ Hospital. I already have a multiple-entry work visa for one year but would like to hopefully live in New Zealand.

I am applied and have successfully obtained an Express of Interest form today! But I have 2.5 weeks before I leave for NZ. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for medical (£180!) and want to know a few things:

Many thanks for all your help. I tried to email/call the NZ offices but they are closed so any help/advice would be great asap!

I hope to hear from you soon - before the medical tomorrow!

Many thanks,

NA

nightair Jul 15th 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Urgent Request - need to know within 6 hours

Sorry I should mention that I have:

Immigration New Zealand would like to invite you to apply for residence to New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Category. This is your Invitation to Apply (ITA).

Lejamez Jul 15th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by nightair (Post 9497639)
          Sorry I should mention that I have:

Immigration New Zealand would like to invite you to apply for residence to New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Category. This is your Invitation to Apply (ITA).

If you look at my signature it give you an idea how long it took us to get the PR, we're still in the UK awaiting sale of our house and OH still has to get a job. The medical took 2 weeks to come through (including chest x-rays), the police checks took 10days to arrive and then we just had to collect all the other information (proof of marriage, employment history, degree qualifications etc) to send off to NZ house in London. Once forms accepted at NZ house took around 1 week to get a case worker.

I doubt it will all happen before you leave but certainly crack on with the application - as long as they know where you are and have contact details you should be able to apply for PR no matter where you are - I don't think being in NZ will count for or against you in this case but I could be worng.

Good luck

Laura :)

thedtb Jul 16th 2011 7:57 am

Do you have to be in NZ for more than 12mths before applying Residency?

Not that I know of (at least not as a skilled migrant). If you have enough points on the EOI you can apply for residency immediately - testimony to this being the fact you say you've received your ITA. Though if I were you I'd do so once you're over here as in our experience it's cheaper.

Our medicals for example cost us only NZ$140 per person. MUCH cheaper than back in the UK.

Will you obtain your passport before you leave the UK?

I'm not really sure I'm understanding this question. Are you referring to sending your passport in with your ITA? If so, I'm fairly sure we only had to send ours in once the residency visa had been approved. I.e not with the initial submission... I could be wrong though. In any case, I'd personally sit on the ITA for the time being, and submit it once you're here already.

I can't say it's any harder/easier applying whilst you're here... Applying over here is all I know... But it'd would almost certainly be less stressful given the short amount of time you have.

Seriously... If you've got the work visa already, what's the rush? Sit back, relax, get over here, get settled, then submit your ITA.

Never really thought about how much in total the visas cost us, but I don't think we've paid £1000 (at least not per person). How many people are included in your application?

Persephone Jul 16th 2011 11:22 pm

I'm not sure quite what you need to know.
          You say you have received an ITA which means you are partly through the process of applying for residency. The ITA means that you have enough points and also that NZIS are happy with the no. of points you claimed for on your EOI. Hence they are giving you the chance to apply for residency.

You have 4months to return your documents and your ITA to NZIS. If you are applying through the London office then it would be worth checking whether your application can be transferred to a NZ office OR you send in all your docs and the ITA before you leave and inform them of your change of address and continue dealing with the London branch. You may get it before you leave or you may not but it doesn't matter too much if you have a work visa in place.
          You do not need to send in your passport with your ITA, a certified copy is acceptable. You can get it certified at any solicitor [cost me £2 3years ago so it's not expensive] That way you would have no worries about you not getting it back in time
          I'm not sure why you say you have to live in NZ for a year to gain residency. This is not true otherwise you would not have been sent an ITA:confused: If you're thinking about the travel conditions connected to residency then this is a completely different thing which isn't really that important at the moment.

You cannot backdate a residency visa if you happen to already be in NZ. Your residency starts when you pay the migrant levy and get the visas stuck into your passport.
          Hope this helps:)

Where are you getting your medicals done- £180 is very cheap! Does that include the bloods and Xray as well?

Just re read your post- are you planning on only staying for a year in NZ? If that is the case then you may gain residency but depending on your plans after that then your visa may expire. When you first gain residency your visa allows you to leave and re enter NZ as a resident for 2 years after which it expires. Have a look at the thread at the top of the page on RRVs which should explain how it works and then you can decide for yourself what to do with the application.

thedtb Jul 16th 2011 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9499740)
          I'm not sure quite what you need to know.
          You say you have received an ITA which means you are partly through the process of applying for residency. The ITA means that you have enough points and also that NZIS are happy with the no. of points you claimed for on your EOI. Hence they are giving you the chance to apply for residency.

You have 4months to return your documents and your ITA to NZIS. If you are applying through the London office then it would be worth checking whether your application can be transferred to a NZ office OR you send in all your docs and the ITA before you leave and inform them of your change of address and continue dealing with the London branch. You may get it before you leave or you may not but it doesn't matter too much if you have a work visa in place.
          You do not need to send in your passport with your ITA, a certified copy is acceptable. You can get it certified at any solicitor [cost me £2 3years ago so it's not expensive] That way you would have no worries about you not getting it back in time
          I'm not sure why you say you have to live in NZ for a year to gain residency. This is not true otherwise you would not have been sent an ITA:confused: If you're thinking about the travel conditions connected to residency then this is a completely different thing which isn't really that important at the moment.

You cannot backdate a residency visa if you happen to already be in NZ. Your residency starts when you pay the migrant levy and get the visas stuck into your passport.
          Hope this helps:)

Where are you getting your medicals done- £180 is very cheap! Does that include the bloods and Xray as well?

Just re read your post- are you planning on only staying for a year in NZ? If that is the case then you may gain residency but depending on your plans after that then your visa may expire. When you first gain residency your visa allows you to leave and re enter NZ as a resident for 2 years after which it expires. Have a look at the thread at the top of the page on RRVs which should explain how it works and then you can decide for yourself what to do with the application.

Persephone, you say £180 is very cheap? I think it's very expensive - having paid NZ$140 per person (the equivalent of circa £70).

I don't wish to hijack the thread but there's clearly some disparity in what people are being charged... To anyone else reading this thread, what have you been charged?

EDIT: That's $140 not including the bloods and x-rays BTW, but I don't recall them being that expensive tbh - though I can check.

Persephone Jul 17th 2011 12:02 am

I was charged about £300 in 2008 but that was just outside London. That included everything-bloods,xrays,exam. I meant cheap when you consider the usual cost of getting them done in the UK.
          When I rang round there wasn't a huge amount of difference but I ended up having to go for the more expensive one as I needed to do it in a hurry due to NZIS slowness:frown: Long story!

Costs do vary and obviously it is a lot cheaper in NZ. You are limited to which doctors you can use in the UK and they are all private. Always worth ringing round though and travelling further afield may end up being cheaper than one that's closer, even taking into account travelling costs.

I presume most people will do their medicals in the UK as they need or want their visa before arrival. Nightair could have done theirs in NZ as they already have a work visa...

lisamct Jul 17th 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by thedtb (Post 9499765)
          I don't wish to hijack the thread but there's clearly some disparity in what people are being charged... To anyone else reading this thread, what have you been charged?

In the UK last year I was charged £360 for my medical including bloods and x-ray.
          I've just had them re-done in NZ and paid $380 for everything here, $180 for the medical, $100 for bloods and $100 for the x-ray.

BEVS Jul 20th 2011 6:17 am

Originally Posted by nightair (Post 9497636)
          Hi

I'm a UK doctor applying for residency as I have a year contract to work at a NZ Hospital. I already have a multiple-entry work visa for one year but would like to hopefully live in New Zealand.

I am applied and have successfully obtained an < adjusted to read ITA> today! But I have 2.5 weeks before I leave for NZ. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for medical (£180!) and want to know a few things:
          • Do you have to remain in the country for at least 12 months to be successful in obtaining a residency? I arrival on the 4 August and I start work on the 8 August. I have asked to leave on the 31 July but I can extend it until the 5 August. Would a year working count to obtain residency and then to return to the UK?

No. There is nothing to stop you gain NZ Residency and then choosing to leave New Zealand. Whether or not New Zealand would then allow you to return as an NZ resident is another matter.

There are rules to fulfil if you want to go on to gain a Permanent Residency visa .

As already mentioned, I leave for New Zealand on the 2 August. How long will it take once I submit the form to yourselves to obtain residency? Will I obtain my passport before the 2 August?
          No idea. Processing is on a case by case basis.orth £1000+ for this visa?

Alternatively, it is harder/easier to obtain the visa once I'm out there and can I backdate the residency visa for when I entered the country to count for one year? I know for example I have to take my original birth certificate with me to NZ.

No . You cannot backdate residency. :blink:
          It is neither harder or easier unless you need more points to apply, which you don't.