Unlicensed immigration consultants

Old May 3rd 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unlicensed immigration consultants

Just in case you hadn't spotted it, Immigration New Zealand has said it will no longer process applications filed by non-licensed agents. Here's the article from the Herald:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10570168
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlicensed immigration consultants

Originally Posted by sarahw
Just in case you hadn't spotted it, Immigration New Zealand has said it will no longer process applications filed by non-licensed agents. Here's the article from the Herald:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10570168
BUMP

Could actually be quite a serious situation for those people who have applications pending at the moment

It would be worth a call to your agents first thing in the morning ( in the UK), and ask for proof of licensing, otherwise you could be throwing good money after bad.

Good Luck
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ah yes. Today is the day this finally becomes somewhat regulated.

You can read something about it from the NZAMI site.

and you should be able to check for a licensed advisors from the Immigration Advisors Authority Website
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Ah yes. Today is the day this finally becomes somewhat regulated.

You can read something about it from the NZAMI site.

and you should be able to check for a licensed advisors from the Immigration Advisors Authority Website
Probably a silly question, but does it affect people that do
their own application?

Is it just to get agents (whether they are NZ or overseas) registered?

I hope people are not too affected!!
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:20 pm
`

No. This won't affect those that wish to do their own applications.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

The new las only effects NZ based immigration agents at present. If your registered off-shore you have one more year...
Old May 6th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by P2L
BUMP

Could actually be quite a serious situation for those people who have applications pending at the moment

It would be worth a call to your agents first thing in the morning ( in the UK), and ask for proof of licensing, otherwise you could be throwing good money after bad.

Good Luck
You WILL be throwing good money after bad. If you are not with a licenced agent, immigration will not be processing your application or refunding fees. Unfortunately this also means you start from day 0 again.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

so far just 171 of an estimated 1200 have bothered to get the proper documentation. Many are part-timers who have been put off by the $1995 cost of a licence.
I think this is the worrying bit, that perhaps some of those small business will not bother to get registered and I don't suppose they thought to stop accepting recent applications in light of this development.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:27 pm
`

I thought I had read that only 160 agents out of 1200 have bothered to become licensed.

From the NZIS website questions and answers

Are all immigration applicants required to use an immigration adviser?

No. You can fill in the application form yourself. If you choose to use the services of an adviser, then you need to state this on your application form and ensure that your immigration adviser provides their details and signs the declaration section.

My adviser submitted my application to Immigration New Zealand in February 2009 and has advised me that INZ has accepted my application for processing. My adviser is not licensed. Will my application continue to be processed?

Yes. Your application was submitted to INZ before 4 May 2009 and will therefore continue to be processed according to the policy requirements that applied before 4 May 2009.

If I use a licensed immigration adviser, will my application be prioritised by INZ?

No. Applications from licensed advisers are treated the same as any other application.

My adviser has approval in principle from the Registrar that he is a licensed adviser but he is not listed on the Register of licensed advisers. Is my adviser licensed?

No. Until your adviser’s name appears on the Register, then your adviser is not licensed.

If you submit an application to Immigration New Zealand, we would detect that your adviser is unlicensed and refuse to accept your application.

INZ returned my application because my adviser was unlicensed. I now have to fill in a new form. Why didn’t INZ just contact me directly about this so I could change my adviser and my original application could then continue being processed?

INZ is required to demonstrate that we have met the requirements under Section 9 of the IAL Act to refuse an application from an unlicensed adviser. Our Application Management System records information about the application and your unlicensed adviser details so that we have a record of the “Returned, Failed Lodgements” decision.

Section 9 also requires that you and your unlicensed adviser need to be advised of the reason for your application being returned and how your application could be advanced in an acceptable manner.
Your original application form cannot be changed as this is signed evidence that your adviser provided you with immigration advice. The Registrar can therefore access this information when considering the breach of the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act.

You therefore need to submit a new application.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS
...My adviser is not licensed. Will my application continue to be processed?

Yes. Your application was submitted to INZ before 4 May 2009...

INZ returned my application because my adviser was unlicensed. I now have to fill in a new form.
Is this not contradicting itself? Especially as it is only the 8th of May today and there would not have been time for anyones application to be returned. Unless of course this person sent in an application in the last 4 days, had it processed, rejected, and sent back in overnight post. And then they emailed feedback yesterday which the website administrators put on the website as soon as received. Seems a little fishy to me.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:00 am
`

No. There is no contradiction. It is as it states.

Applications before the cut off date are fine.
Applications after the date are not OK. The client will need to take this up with the agent that knew they would be unlicensed after the cut off date. It is clear cut.

Of course, it would have paid any client to check with NZAMI before they employed an agent. That's what NZAMi are for.

Of course again .... this doesn't mean the agent is any good when their boots are ont he ground. They may be complete and utter cr*p or they may be brlilliant at what they do.

Of course again, not everyone thinks to check with NZAMI. They just take any agent and their claims at face value.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
No. There is no contradiction. It is as it states.

Applications before the cut off date are fine.
Applications after the date are not OK. The client will need to take this up with the agent that knew they would be unlicensed after the cut off date. It is clear cut.

Of course, it would have paid any client to check with NZAMI before they employed an agent. That's what NZAMi are for.

Of course again .... this doesn't mean the agent is any good when their boots are ont he ground. They may be complete and utter cr*p or they may be brlilliant at what they do.

Of course again, not everyone thinks to check with NZAMI. They just take any agent and their claims at face value.
My point is that the cut off date was 4 days ago.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:29 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

INZ returned my application because my adviser was unlicensed. I now have to fill in a new form. Why didn’t INZ just contact me directly about this so I could change my adviser and my original application could then continue being processed?

INZ is required to demonstrate that we have met the requirements under Section 9 of the IAL Act to refuse an application from an unlicensed adviser. Our Application Management System records information about the application and your unlicensed adviser details so that we have a record of the “Returned, Failed Lodgements” decision.
They are just a general Q and A list for those looking for information so it doesn't matter that there would only have been 4d for it to be returned. In a months time it will make more sense. May have been better for the cut off date to be mentioned in the answer to this question though this will cease to be relevant soon anyway...
The date and need for licensing have been on the NZIS website for months now
Old May 9th 2009, 4:33 am
`

Originally Posted by MrCFD
My point is that the cut off date was 4 days ago.

The information regarding the cut off date has been known for several months. This is not new news, it is old news. Immigration agents have known for a long while now that if they remain unlicensed then they cannot submit any new cases after 4th May as these will not be processed.

I think the Q&A on the NZIS website is quite clear.