Underactive Thyroid

Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Underactive Thyroid

Hi

My oh has just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and was told that she will be on medication for the rest of her life. Has anyone ever had experience with this and whether this will cause her to fail the medical?

Thanks
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Underactive Thyroid

I don't know the answer to this. My husband was diagnosed with the same thing this year and we are already in NZ.

Thought I would just let you know that his Thyroxine costs $3 per prescription and the admin cost for the repeat prescription from the GP costs $10 . Blood tests are $5 a go.

My thought is that , although there may be a referral , that this shouldn't stop you coming to NZ. The costs are minimal in controlling the condition. You may need a detailed doctors letter or a consultants report .
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info BEVS
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laloo View Post
Hi

My oh has just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and was told that she will be on medication for the rest of her life. Has anyone ever had experience with this and whether this will cause her to fail the medical?

Thanks

Welcome Laloo

sorry can't help much either, but there is a thread on the Aussie part of BE called 'Thyroid Thread'. I know it's not relevant as far as NZIS goes, however it is a really useful and interesting read for anyone affected by thyroid issues

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515648

Good Luck
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have underactive thyroid (have had it for several years now). The medical assessor did ask for a report from my GP. He just wrote how long I had had it and what dosage thyroxine I am on. No further questions on that and PR granted! Hope that helps - Merry Xmas!