UK Working Holiday visa questions

Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Working Holiday visa questions

Hi all, I just have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to on the NZ website (perhaps because I'm just missing them somewhere...).

So, firstly I'm wondering about the age limit. I'm in Canada at the moment on an IEC visa and was planning on doing another year here (starting in September) before I move on. I will turn 30 next June (as in 2015) and I know that the age limit for the visas is 31 but does this mean as long as I make the application before I turn 31 then I can actually enter the country and get my work permit after my 31st?

My ideal plan would be to do my second year here, then go to Australia and then just before I hit 31, apply for 23 months in NZ. So my Australian visa would start September 2015 (isn) then go till Sept 2016, with me applying for NZ in May/June 2016 or whenever Id need to put it through to ensure I was still 30 when it got accepted. Then does it work the same way as Canada, where you get the LOI that is valid for 12 months? So I could finish out my year in Australia then go over to NZ from there when I'm 31, because the Visa was applied for and accepted when I was still 30?

Also the required funds for entry says that you need $350NZ per month of stay, so does that mean if i get a 23 month visa I'd need proof of $8000NZ?
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Working Holiday visa questions

My working holiday visa said that I had a year to enter NZ from when it was granted and then once I actually entered I'd have a year to run on it. So I think so long as you're actually still 30 you could theoretically enter on it the day before you turned 31. Be aware you would need medicals prior to entering on a 23 month visa.

Theoretically you need the funds in your bank. In realiity no one really checks but to be on the safe side I'd make sure I had it even if someone else's money just sits in your account until you're in.

The only rather large snag in your plans is that you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK in order to be granted a WHV for NZ. So things might not work out so smoothly...but I hope that's not the case.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response. I am still a British Resident and Citizen though, with a British passport so it shouldn't matter should it?

So the age limit is younger than 31 to actually enter the country rather than just to apply and be granted the visa? My question was if I was granted the visa when I was still 30, but turned up at the border say 10 months after that at the age of 31, would I not be able to get the work permit?

Also, do you know how difficult it is to get permanent residency in NZ when you're on a WHV?
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:18 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

heres the link on the Immigration website

Working Holiday Schemes Online

and

United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme

it states you need to be "usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom" so am not sure how you will get around that if you are away from UK for any amount of time.

If you wish to convert the WHV to a more permanent one then you would need to met the criteria of the other visa's. Gain a full time position in a job that is on the skills list or a job from an accredited Company
Old Jun 29th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeJK
Thanks for the response. I am still a British Resident and Citizen though, with a British passport so it shouldn't matter should it?

So the age limit is younger than 31 to actually enter the country rather than just to apply and be granted the visa? My question was if I was granted the visa when I was still 30, but turned up at the border say 10 months after that at the age of 31, would I not be able to get the work permit?

Also, do you know how difficult it is to get permanent residency in NZ when you're on a WHV?

Unfortunately due to the regulations around the WHV it does matter, however much we think it shouldn't You really will need to consider this. Maybe ring up NZI and ask them if you're unsure.

My understanding is that you can be granted a visa at any time before you are 31 though you may want to double check that. Once you are granted the visa you are good to go, you then have to activate it by entering NZ. So as I said, if you obtain the visa the day before you turn 31 and then wait 11 months and 20 days to activate it you might theoretically be nearly 32 by the time you actually arrive here on a 23 month visa.

I arrived on a WHV and converted it about 7 months later to a Work Visa, this was relatively easy for me. The main thing to check with residency is if you have the skills NZ wants. If your profession is in demand or there is a shortage it'd be fairly straight forward, if you're not skilled in an in demand area then you may struggle. There's a points checker on the NZI immigration side if you're curious.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 5:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

To get residency you would need to be eligible for either of the below visas [in brief!]:

Skilled Migrant Category: points based, skilled jobs only though not necessarily on a skills shortage list.
Work To Residence: the job must be on the Long Term Skills Shortage List, be for an accredited employer or you must have exceptional talent in the arts or sport

Do you have any qualifications? Do you have a profession that is classed as skilled?

P