British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   UK Nurse confused with visa's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/uk-nurse-confused-visas-857954/)

partnersincrime May 10th 2015 6:18 pm

UK Nurse confused with visa's

Hi, I am new to the forum, sorry if this is a garbled mess. I seem to be going round and round in circles. I am a UK Registered Nurse with 5 years post graduation experience. Originally we were going to go to NZ on a SM resident visa but as I cant seem to reach 140 points for my EOI. We have been steered in the direction of applying for a work visa (with employer sponsorship) which we feel will limit us when we go to NZ as my partner will have to go to where he can get work, which will vary (he is a sound & light engineer). Meaning I could be stuck on the other side of the country with my employer - not ideal when starting a life in a new country. Then lodging my EOI to run along side the work visa - as I will then have over 140 points.

I have inquired about jobs - It is the whole visa before job/ job before visa scenario - which I understand completely but I am stuck in a bit of a rut now! I am underway with my NZNC registration and we are aiming to go to NZ in Jan 2016. My partner has talked to some perspective employers and they have said they can help him with a job offer & to get in touch closer to the time. That was a few months back before we set a date. Could we claim 10 points or his job offer?

Here is how I have calculated my points:

25 points for Age as am 31 at the moment: 30-39 years

15 Points for 5 years Work experience in skilled employment
(Registered Nurse)

I have no work experience in New Zealand but my experience is on the long term shortage list. Can I claim bonus points for work experience out side New Zealand? ?10 points

50 points for BSc in Nursing (I have my PAR)

10 points: qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.

20 points: if your partner holds a level 7+ qualification.

I calculated potentially 130 points, without a job offer what are my chances at EOI selection?

What route have people experienced or would recommend?

LauraNotts May 11th 2015 2:34 am

Re: UK Nurse confused with visa's

I am an RMN and went a very long way around - Working Holiday Visa >> Work Visa >> Residency Visa.

My suggestion is to come on a work visa and aim for one of the big(ger) cities except Auckland. That makes your chances of finding work for both of you that little bit more likely. As a nurse you're likely to be granted a 3 year work visa and after a year of work in NZ (with a job and a years experience) you're very likely to hit the 140 for an EOI and be able to go through the residency application if you wish to

Realistically as it stands for you now the threshhold for EOI selection is 140 points. If you can't hit that then you won't get selected as there are more than enough applications in the pool that meet the threshold. You'd need a job offer to lower the threshold down to (I think) 110 points but then you're facing the long processing time for the residency visa AND the fact that you're battling against all the people with 140 points.

BEVS May 11th 2015 3:04 am

I'm with LauraNotts .

The quality of a skilled migrant residency visa application is not just about the points but also the ability to settle financially. That is why the threshold is around 140 points and why most everyone will need a job offer to gain that.

You haven't said which city offers your OH the most potential to find work in his occupation. That , of course, may tie you to where you can settle in NZ.

I'm not sure what you mean by your OH and claiming 10 points. If you are principle applicant - which seems the mist sensible to me - then the max you can claim is 20 points for your OH quals.

Yes. I make your points 130 without a job offer. I have looked back through the EOI pool draw history & do feel you will need that job offer for ther application.

Best way is for you to gain a job offer and come over on a temp. work visa . Your partner can apply for an open visa onthe back of your application under family stream ( if you meet the relationship requirements).

From there and once here, you can start the SMC process and both gain residency from that.

partnersincrime May 15th 2015 2:03 pm

Thank you for both of your replies. Most of my OH work would be in Auckland. Im hoping that once in NZ other opportunities will come along and we can relocate elsewhere.

My question about points for OH. I can get 20 for his qualifications but also a further 20 if he has a job offer in a skilled job. Light technician is on the ANZSCO skilled job list, so I think that brings us up to 150 points with his job offer (the NZ immigration website was down when I wrote the original post, so couldn't clarify). Would this change your opinion on which visa to apply for?

Shaun1962 Jun 20th 2015 7:44 am

I would go with find a job first and apply for a permanent residency visa. If you intend to stay here for any length of time it will save you a lot of time, effort and money as some of my friends have found out. I worked in the health service here in NZ and my experience of it, for what it's worth, is that it's not very good. Working conditions are poor, wages are low and the Labour laws in NZ don't protect you. Also be careful you get a watertight contract from what ever DHB you'll be working for. I know a lot of nurses, physio's, OT's and SLT that have given it up and moved to other jobs, me included. Good luck and I hope this advise helps.