British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   UK Medical Documents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/uk-medical-documents-529181/)

splendid12 Apr 14th 2008 8:53 am

UK Medical Documents

Hi quick question regarding our UK medical documents. Can we just take them with us or do we have to pay for them to be copied and leave the originals here. They want some extortionate figure to copy each sheet and will be for wife and son so probably just being a bit tight??
Adie:o

cappuccino Apr 15th 2008 9:07 am

Re: UK Medical Documents

I heard that GPs charge quite a lot to copy your notes so I didn't bother to get them before I left. However, when I tried to register with a GP here, they wanted them (I have a fairly eventful medical history) so I phoned up my old surgery - (they were so excited to get a call from NZ that they all crowded round and said hello) and the practice manager said she would be only too happy to print off a summary of my notes, scan them and email them to me which she did in the following half hour! Cost me nothing and gave them something to talk about for the rest of the day :-)

splendid12 Apr 15th 2008 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 6210827)
I heard that GPs charge quite a lot to copy your notes so I didn't bother to get them before I left. However, when I tried to register with a GP here, they wanted them (I have a fairly eventful medical history) so I phoned up my old surgery - (they were so excited to get a call from NZ that they all crowded round and said hello) and the practice manager said she would be only too happy to print off a summary of my notes, scan them and email them to me which she did in the following half hour! Cost me nothing and gave them something to talk about for the rest of the day :-)

Thanks for you response appreciate your knowledge
Adie

Raquel Apr 17th 2008 1:05 pm

My question is very specific...Do you need to use one of the doctors in the list in order to apply for a visa? Or can I just use my GP? I just rang one of the clinics that immigration gives us...and they charge you £270 for a medical check?? Can I have this form filled by my GP? I wonder what is the point of paying NHS if I can not use their services when I really need it.
What did you do? Thanks :)

weejie Apr 17th 2008 4:58 pm

As far as I am aware it must be one of the docs on the list,and yes it does cost that amount for a medical.

Phyllis

cappuccino Apr 17th 2008 9:45 pm

Correct - it must be done by a Panel Doctor on the list in countries outside of New Zealand. However, here in NZ your GP CAN do the immigration medical! Still costs, but nowhere near as much as in the UK.

simonmarkellis Apr 17th 2008 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by splendid12 (Post 6205214)
Hi quick question regarding our UK medical documents. Can we just take them with us or do we have to pay for them to be copied and leave the originals here. They want some extortionate figure to copy each sheet and will be for wife and son so probably just being a bit tight??
Adie:o

I went in and spoke to my Doctor who was able to print of a summary sheet for all of us for the last 15 years that we could bring with us that didn't give too much away, but helped our new doctors over here with a bit of an insight to us all.

splendid12 Apr 20th 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Raquel (Post 6222887)
My question is very specific...Do you need to use one of the doctors in the list in order to apply for a visa? Or can I just use my GP? I just rang one of the clinics that immigration gives us...and they charge you £270 for a medical check?? Can I have this form filled by my GP? I wonder what is the point of paying NHS if I can not use their services when I really need it.
What did you do? Thanks :)

Hey Raquel yes you do have to use one of the panel dr's but you should shop around savings can be made for the price of a couple of litres of petrol. Phone up and compare prices do not go for the nearest as sometimes cheaper to travel a bit if you can afford the time. Research research research and then research some more just been accepted for residency so well Happy:thumbsup: