British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   uk-based or nz-based immigration agents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/uk-based-nz-based-immigration-agents-756567/)

Stephen Jones Apr 29th 2012 5:14 pm

uk-based or nz-based immigration agents

We believe that in our case we would be best employing a migration agent to help us through the process.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is best to use a uk-based or nz-based agent?

Steve

ellenarosemary Apr 29th 2012 6:46 pm

Re: uk=based or nz-based immigration agents

Can I ask why you think you need an agent, we employed one and he went bust and we lost all our money see 'immigration agent in receivership' which in itself tells the story.

You can probably tell i'm now not a 'fan'.

MrsFychan Apr 29th 2012 8:46 pm

we started out looking at using an agent but after miss information we decided we would do it ourselves and anything we were unsure of we just rang or went up to NZ House and asked them there. lot less money and less hassle and not having to double check what the useless agent told us. ARE you sure you need an agent?

Persephone Apr 30th 2012 11:47 am

Not many of us have used an agent on here so you may not get a definite answer to this. Most of us would suggest doing it yourself with help from on here or NZIS if needed. Please have a look at your visa options and your personal circumstances and make an informed decision on this. Agents cost a lot and realistically all they can do is fill in the forms for you, tell you what to do and what information they need.
If you do decide to use an agent then make sure they are licensed here: http://www.iaa.govt.nz/

jjsebba Apr 30th 2012 3:11 pm

I asked, just as a matter of interest and got quoted about £2300 for SMC from start to finish. That also didn't include:
o EOI Fee – NZ$440
o Residence Application - £1,090
o Migrant Levy - £165 per person
o Work Visa (if required) - £125
- Medicals – approx £300 per adult
- UK Police Check - £35
- & SA police checks (in our case) £10

Stephen Jones Apr 30th 2012 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 10031661)
We believe that in our case we would be best employing a migration agent to help us through the process.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is best to use a uk-based or nz-based agent?

Steve

Thanks for all your replies.
Much Food for thought.

The reason I am looking at agents is so as to help me with ensuring my qualifications etc fit the bill since I don't hold a degree (but do have bags of experience in IT) and need a job offer in order to get the points necessary for submitting an EOI.

Steve

Stephen Jones Apr 30th 2012 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10031761)
Can I ask why you think you need an agent, we employed one and he went bust and we lost all our money see 'immigration agent in receivership' which in itself tells the story.

You can probably tell i'm now not a 'fan'.

Hi Ellena
I did see that story.

I believe I may even have left a comment.
Sorry it didn't go well for you.

Steve

ellenarosemary Apr 30th 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks, if you look at our signature we are actually on our way, husband got a job himself.

MrsFychan Apr 30th 2012 7:55 pm

Stephen - my husband is in IT and no diploma relating to it, he just needed to show experience. Mind you might of helped the fact he had a job offer. Agents will not help with getting you a job you need to be actively seeking one yourself. Have you contacted any NZ job agencies. I will say that my husband found it extremely frustrating with the agents and in the end bite the bullet and came over for a break and just happened to obtain an offer of work whilst he was here

Persephone May 1st 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10033192)
I asked, just as a matter of interest and got quoted about £2300 for SMC from start to finish. That also didn't include:
o EOI Fee – NZ$440
o Residence Application - £1,090
o Migrant Levy - £165 per person
o Work Visa (if required) - £125
- Medicals – approx £300 per adult
- UK Police Check - £35
- & SA police checks (in our case) £10

That looks similar to the amounts people normally quote on here.
You've got to wonder how it costs that much given the amount of work involved in doing a SMC application. Thinking I may look at a change of career...:rofl:

Stephen, have you looked at doing a sample EOI and getting a feel for the thing?

Catchafire May 1st 2012 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 10033355)
Thanks for all your replies.
Much Food for thought.

The reason I am looking at agents is so as to help me with ensuring my qualifications etc fit the bill since I don't hold a degree (but do have bags of experience in IT) and need a job offer in order to get the points necessary for submitting an EOI.

Steve

Hi Steve

I came across on a vistors visa and applied for jobs once here. After I had a job offer I had to apply for a work permit. I had not been to uni, but I did have a handful of IT qualifications, but it was experience that got me over the line. Make sure you have your CV up to date and reference letters from previous employers, stating the period of employment.

So my advice to you is if you can, apply for a work permit first, it's easier and quicker. Then it's a good idea to submit your EOI with all those lovely extra points for being in skilled employment.

Catchafire May 1st 2012 5:24 am

Just checked you profile. 49years old? Better get your skates on! You will lose 5 points when you turn 50.

Snap Shot May 1st 2012 5:30 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10033393)
Thanks, if you look at our signature we are actually on our way, husband got a job himself.

Well done. Been there done that. Employment agencies are, mostly, useless :thumbdown: It takes a special brand of shamelessness to be an employment agent.

Stephen Jones May 1st 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10034479)
Just checked you profile. 49years old? Better get your skates on! You will lose 5 points when you turn 50.

I know, I know...

but thanks for reminding me

Stephen Jones May 1st 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10033673)
Stephen - my husband is in IT and no diploma relating to it, he just needed to show experience. Mind you might of helped the fact he had a job offer. Agents will not help with getting you a job you need to be actively seeking one yourself. Have you contacted any NZ job agencies. I will say that my husband found it extremely frustrating with the agents and in the end bite the bullet and came over for a break and just happened to obtain an offer of work whilst he was here

"and in the end bite the bullet and came over for a break and just happened to obtain an offer of work whilst he was here"...

That's what I am looking to do.

How long did it take all the paperwork etc to go through after the job offer?

Sorry..forgot to ask: what does your husband do?

S.