Two weeks to apply for residency!!!

Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Claire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant future
Default Two weeks to apply for residency!!!

Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of applying for my residency. I only have 2 weeks left before my medical will expire (again!). Slightly stressed is a true understatement. I find myself doing manic cleaning to try and take my mind off of it. I think I have most of the paperwork I need to apply but have just realised that my partner (who is sponsering me) does not have a current passport and lost his birth cert. in the earthquake! I also have no letters of support from my folks who are currently holidaying in Italy. I figure I have to get the forms to immigration by the end of this week so they have a week to actually receive them as I know it can take longer! I am praying that they will accept my application if I explain that my partner is currently applying for a new birth cert. and letters from my folks are on the way. It just all seems so very stressfull as i've been with my partner now for 4 years and we have a 2 year old son.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:50 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two weeks to apply for residency!!!

Originally Posted by Claire78 View Post
Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of applying for my residency. I only have 2 weeks left before my medical will expire (again!). Slightly stressed is a true understatement. I find myself doing manic cleaning to try and take my mind off of it. I think I have most of the paperwork I need to apply but have just realised that my partner (who is sponsering me) does not have a current passport and lost his birth cert. in the earthquake! I also have no letters of support from my folks who are currently holidaying in Italy. I figure I have to get the forms to immigration by the end of this week so they have a week to actually receive them as I know it can take longer! I am praying that they will accept my application if I explain that my partner is currently applying for a new birth cert. and letters from my folks are on the way. It just all seems so very stressfull as i've been with my partner now for 4 years and we have a 2 year old son.
Firstly welcome. Secondly I have much that needs cleaning if you run out.

I don't have the answers I'm afraid, but I'm sure Immigration and other Internal Affairs departments etc are dealing with people who have lost important docs in ChCh, I would give them a ring and see if they will give you an extension under the circumstances.

I applied for PR from the UK married to a Kiwi with 4 kids who have Citizenship by Descent. You still have to apply with the medicals and police checks etc, being with a Kiwi makes no difference, as I'm sure you are aware. However, it was straight forward and we didn't have any problems with Residency.

It is stressful, but you'll get there in the end. At least by phoning and seeing if you can have some breathing space you'll know more what you're dealing with timeframe wise.

And remember, it'll be worth it in the end.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
Hhmm. I have been cogitating on this little lot all day.

Anyway, welcome to our cozy little NZ forum. Glad you found your way here. Do have a good browse around and pop in a few posts on anything you can think of. We're easily pleased. You can even have a cyber drink in the cyber bar. Although last time I quaffed a few , I fell over an unsuspecting blanket box in the dark.

Now then. Stop stressing. We're here now. I know it all sounds tough and it is and it will probably stay stressful for you whilst you are non-resident here in NZ but you know what? Something always turns up.

I can read between the lines that the quake has cost you most everything you all had but for the residency application you will need to find the $$ and that might include residency medical fees.

You have a temp work permit at the minute. When does this expire please? It shows what breathing space there is.

Yes. If you and your Kiwi OH and little lad ,who was born here, are planning to stay in NZ then you should look to gain NZ residency sooner rather than later. However, it is also wise ( when dealing with NZIS ) to make sure an application is clear , concise and has everything they need or want.
They're simple souls you know. Disappearing behind mounds of files and bits of random paperwork and chewed pens. Anything that makes their life easier, makes your application easier.

Medicals: Your current medical expires in 2 weeks and counting. Was this a medical for a temporary work permit ? If it was, then NZIS ( New Zealand Immigration Service) may well request a new medical & XRay for a residency application anyway. This is because the criteria differs .

Nelson Radiography $134 - XRays

Stoke Medical Centre $198 for medical.
Medclinic Collingwood Rd $230 for medical
so it pays to shop around if you need to do this again.

It's approx an 8 day turnaround to get a full NZ birth cert. You'll need to include your lad's cert as well. I'm assuming you have your own & your passport.

Proof of relationship:
I know that you lost loads in the quake. Everything in fact. You will still need to show proof .
What have you currently got ?
What can be obtained? I'm thinking of copies of household bills. Rent thingy. Did you pay one bill and himself another? Copies of those will show you both in the same place at the same time.
Photos? Postcards?

I'm dithering with this one.

Whether you bang on in an application with less than 100% paperwork and it costing you shed loads. $700 with a chance NZIS get picky. Or whether you let the medical expire ( as it may not have been acceptable anyway - work permit v residency) and work towards a consolidated application.

The difference is probably $ 350./$400 given himself has no evidence of his status.

I'm leaning towards pressure off. Get the other half extra shifts -$$ & accept the medical will expire. Sort out proof of relationship & then put together a great applicaton that is accepted smoothly.

I do realise and I really do realise that this is more money that you have not got but I'm thinking of the quality of the application .

Of course,. NZIS may well accept the current medical on compassionate grounds ( please check & get the name of the officer) and will wait for proof of relationship.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Hi Claire

Welcome and hope you have taken the above advice and are breathing and have put the vacuum cleaner down . I am sure if the required docs (birth cert etc) are not back in time that you will be perfectly fine putting in a cover letter to explain they will follow, they aren't the big ogres they are made out to be especially in genuine circumstances. It takes a few days for cases to be allocated to a case officer and then about 3 weeks for a decision so so long as any follow up is clearly labelled you will be fine, once allocated you get a reference number to use for any further documentation.

In terms of your child if born here you don't need to do anything except add their details to your application as a dependent and include their birth certificate - so do get another copy if this is something else that has been lost. Otherwise it is more about sorting citizenship for passport purposes etc rather than your residency application.

Not sure why you need a letter of support from your parents, we didn't use anything like that, we found some photos, looked for joint bills etc for our documents.

If you have all your docs and police certificates for you are both done then go for it.

Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Hi Claire,
Welcome to the forum
I think applying for residence is stressful enough anyway with out extra deadlines!
If your partner's birth cert is the only thing missing and that's due to the quake then it must be worthwhile giving Immigration a call or sending an email to them to explain the situation and ask advice. When I was getting my application organised, sorting out my children's citizenship by descent applications and my (NZ citizen)wife renewing her lapsed NZ passport they were helpful. Though, my wife's id was needed first for the children's applications and then later for my application for residency which meant that I had to wait to apply as Citizenship was Dept of Internal Affairs and residency application was Immigration. If you've not got a seperate application for your son that won't affect you though.
As far as I know you don't need any other sponsorship or authorisation from your parents or caregivers, I'm guessing you're over 18 given your circumstances.
If you have your son's birth certificate, that will be a good starting point for the evidence of a long term partnership as well as a recent document (rent agreement?) to show you're still together.
If you can't get it sorted out before the medical expires, I guess from your original message that you've taken at least a couple of medicals over the years so hopefully it's the cost and hassle of getting a new one that's making you want to hurry. Hopefully after the stress of this mad rush subsides you'll get through another ok if you need to.

John.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:46 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire, I'm sorry that you are having such a stressful time. I can't add anything to the helpful advice you have received so far but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum & wish you well.
Sure it will all get sorted but I can appreciate how stressed you are. Good luck & kia kaha
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire, looks like BEVS has covered everything you need to know [as always]
Hope you're settling down now that you've moved away from Chch and the aftershocks. Sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult time and hope life improves from now on.
Take care and good luck with the residency application
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Claire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant futureClaire78 has a brilliant future

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for all of the helpfull advice and support. It was very much needed!

I spoke to immigration nz today and they have informed me that apparanlty I don't need to have my application in by two weeks. My medical is valid for 24 months as I am applying for residency on the basis of a partnership. I can't believe it's true as I never read anything about this on the website. But they assured me it is. So now I can get my partners birth certificate and make my application in a couple of weeks once I have everything in order. It feels good to breath again. PHEW!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Aha! See what we learn together. I had forgotten. Soz

Hidden in the NZIS operations manual

A4.20 Medical and X-ray certificates: residence class visa applications
  1. Applications for residence class visas must include, at the time the application is lodged, a fully completed Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificate (INZ 1007) for every person included in the application. Note: Pregnant women and children under 11 years of age are not required to have an X-ray examination.
  2. All Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificates must have been issued less than three months before the date the application for a residence class visa is made. (The issue date of a Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificate is the date of the declaration by the examining physician concerning the overall findings of the medical examination.)
  3. Despite (a) above, applicants for a residence class visa under the Partnership or Dependent Child Categories (see F2 and F5) do not need to provide a Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificate if:
    1. they have provided a Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificate with an earlier temporary entry class visa application; and
    2. they were assessed as having an acceptable standard of health based on that certificate; and
    3. the certificate was issued less than 24 months prior to the current application.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 19th 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

Please nip over to the NZIS operations manual to see what can be used as evidence of partnership

You want Residence .Family - Partnership and then F2.20 Evidence.

This is great news and will give you both time to collate the paperwork you need.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:02 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:27 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Bugger, does that mean she's not coming round to do my cleaning?

No, good news, pleased for you.