Twenty something seeking new start help

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

leaturner18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Twenty something seeking new start help

Hey all, Ive just stumbled across this site in search of help about moving to Auckland. I have some very good friends in Auckland and have visited before and have decided I want to make a new start out there.

I wondered if there was any advice on how to go about it as I have no qualifications or skills. I have been told by other brits out there that you can simply get on a plane and take your stuff and get a job, then apply for a visa once you have a job there. Is this true? I'm an office manager/ PA and have 5 years work experience and would seek similar work over there. I am in perfect health and have no criminal record or anything sinister that should cause a problem with an application as far as I know.

I would love to hear from other people who have done this with any advice on what I need to do before I can get on the plane!

Thank you so much

Lea xxx
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Twenty something seeking new start help

Originally Posted by leaturner18 View Post
Hey all, Ive just stumbled across this site in search of help about moving to Auckland. I have some very good friends in Auckland and have visited before and have decided I want to make a new start out there.

I wondered if there was any advice on how to go about it as I have no qualifications or skills. I have been told by other brits out there that you can simply get on a plane and take your stuff and get a job, then apply for a visa once you have a job there. Is this true? I'm an office manager/ PA and have 5 years work experience and would seek similar work over there. I am in perfect health and have no criminal record or anything sinister that should cause a problem with an application as far as I know.

I would love to hear from other people who have done this with any advice on what I need to do before I can get on the plane!

Thank you so much

Lea xxx
Hi Lea

Technically yes yo ucan jump on a plane and look for work when your here but there are a couple of points that you need to be aware of.

You would need a return ticket, you will not get entry with one way ticket unless you have a visa to do so

You would need to apply for a work visa to allow you to actually work here

You can do a work to residence visa but with that your tied to the one employer for 2 years !!

Try the on line points calculator and see where you stack up

Prob not the answer you were looking for but thought id throwin my 2 cents worth
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Twenty something seeking new start help

Originally Posted by leaturner18 View Post

Thank you so much

Lea xxx
hi,
I would suggest you look into a working holiday visa if youre under 30, look here for details on how to apply

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

the visa is relatively easy to get and you can apply online without needing a job offer etc.

technically you can get on a plane as a tourist and apply for a work permit once you get to Nz, but in your case without qualifications and / contacts it is a big risk. you will need to get a job offer to do it that way.

under the working holiday visa you will have time to get Nz work experience, get to build up contacts for future job offers and even maybe get some nz qualifications, which will all help if you do want to in future get a longer term work permit/ PR