British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Trying to obtain PRV - have residence visa alreasy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/trying-obtain-prv-have-residence-visa-alreasy-848569/)

citybanklondon Dec 10th 2014 9:02 am

Trying to obtain PRV - have residence visa alreasy

Hi - We got skilled migrant residency visas in Feb 2013, came to NZ in Dec 2013, I am the principle applicant and only stayed 2 weeks which is a short period of time. The dependents stayed for six months and then returned to the UK. Now we are all outside NZ. My understanding is that if I did not go back to NZ before Dec 2015 when two years will be up, then our residency visas will lapse. So I was interested in obtaining PRV as it does not have time limits/travel conditions etc. and the kids might decide to come back at a later date and benefit from life in NZ later on which is only possible if they either have PRV or NZ citizenship.

I am wondering if anyone can advise that if I were to return to NZ alone being the principle applicant in Dec 2015 and stay the stipulated 184 days (6 mths) and then leave NZ for six months and then again come back for another 184 days for year 2 to meet the first condition (out of 5 conditions) for PRV. Is this permissable? Once the travel conditions expire and I am inside NZ what further period of extension will NZIS give me so I can leave for 6 months and then return again to live in NZ for the next 184 days? Thanks.

MrsFychan Dec 10th 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Trying to obtain PRV - have residence visa alreasy

I believe that you would have to of spent 184 days in 2014 to qualify in the two year time period starting Dec 2013 as that was when your visa was activated. You can get variation on the travel conditions giving you more time to apply but again I believe you would have to spend 184 days here and be tax resident for a period of that time also. If the families application for visa came off the back of your application then they can only apply when you do (?). Their is a clause for people to make a single application but I think that is just for people who have separated and are still living/contributing to the country in some way. but then again we have had news reports where people have lived here for years, been working but came over off of another person visa and have been told to leave. This is not set in stone just my understanding of it, I know a lady who is married to a Kiwi has children who are automatically Kiwi and forgot/did not know about the 2 yr requirement to renew visa and was stopped entry after a holiday abroad. luckily she managed to get it sorted and got back in but as that shows unless you cover all basis you can get caught out