Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:13 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
jojo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Hi

I am completely confused!!

My husband holds a Class 1 (Class 5 NZ equivalent) HGV Licence. He is also going to apply for a Hazadous Goods Licence.

As there is a shortage of Truck Drivers out in NZ, therefore, this profession is on the Immediate Skills Shortage List (issl) can someboy PLEASE tell me how one can apply (after two years with a $50k salary) for Permanent Residency? Is it right that if a profession is on the ISSL, it cannot progress to a P.R? Only professions that on the Long Term Shortage List can.

I am considering applying through expression of interest. Does anybody know if a Class 1 is a NZ recognised qualification? This would help immensely on the point scoring table.

Thanks

Jo
jojo3 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:09 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: nelson nz
Posts: 76
angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Originally Posted by jojo3 View Post
Hi

I am completely confused!!

My husband holds a Class 1 (Class 5 NZ equivalent) HGV Licence. He is also going to apply for a Hazadous Goods Licence.

As there is a shortage of Truck Drivers out in NZ, therefore, this profession is on the Immediate Skills Shortage List (issl) can someboy PLEASE tell me how one can apply (after two years with a $50k salary) for Permanent Residency? Is it right that if a profession is on the ISSL, it cannot progress to a P.R? Only professions that on the Long Term Shortage List can.

I am considering applying through expression of interest. Does anybody know if a Class 1 is a NZ recognised qualification? This would help immensely on the point scoring table.

Thanks

Jo
Hi Jo
Welcome to BE and answer to your question is you cannot apply for an EOI as a truck driver as it is not considered as a skill.You can work for an accredited company earn I think its changed to $55000 p/a now doing 40 hours and then after 2 years apply for residence from work or something like that.I'm here on a 3 year work visa with no chance of PR unless the rules change.I just have to keep reaplying every 3 years.There is a list of accredied employers on the NZIS website.I'm sure Bevs Here will be on here shortly and she is very clued up on the rules so I'm sure she add her bit.Hope this helps
angpaul is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:10 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: nelson nz
Posts: 76
angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Originally Posted by angpaul View Post
Hi Jo
Welcome to BE and answer to your question is you cannot apply for an EOI as a truck driver as it is not considered as a skill.You can work for an accredited company earn I think its changed to $55000 p/a now doing 40 hours and then after 2 years apply for residence from work or something like that.I'm here on a 3 year work visa with no chance of PR unless the rules change.I just have to keep reaplying every 3 years.There is a list of accredied employers on the NZIS website.I'm sure Bevs Here will be on here shortly and she is very clued up on the rules so I'm sure she add her bit.Hope this helps
Oh yes don't waste your money in the UK doing your haz goods as you will have to redo it here anyway
angpaul is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:17 pm
  #4  
Tartan Treasure
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 20
p9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nice
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Originally Posted by jojo3 View Post
Hi

I am completely confused!!

My husband holds a Class 1 (Class 5 NZ equivalent) HGV Licence. He is also going to apply for a Hazadous Goods Licence.

As there is a shortage of Truck Drivers out in NZ, therefore, this profession is on the Immediate Skills Shortage List (issl) can someboy PLEASE tell me how one can apply (after two years with a $50k salary) for Permanent Residency? Is it right that if a profession is on the ISSL, it cannot progress to a P.R? Only professions that on the Long Term Shortage List can.

I am considering applying through expression of interest. Does anybody know if a Class 1 is a NZ recognised qualification? This would help immensely on the point scoring table.

Thanks

Jo
Hi Jo,

Just read your other post, tell your hubby NOT to sit his Hazchem in the UK as he will have to sit the NZ equivelant as soon as he arrives in the country before he starts driving or when he is doing the job!!

My husband's employer told us that at his interview back in September last year as my hubby had recently sat his forklift in the UK thinking that it would be another string to his bow so to speak.., but I think (don't quote me) he will have to re-sit the NZ forklift test when we arrive tooo!!

This way is the only route to go out to NZ via a work visa with an accreditted NZ employer as HGV driving is not on the ISSL.

Good Luck and I hope this info helps you Tricia x
p9atp is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:31 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: nelson nz
Posts: 76
angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Originally Posted by p9atp View Post
Hi Jo,

Just read your other post, tell your hubby NOT to sit his Hazchem in the UK as he will have to sit the NZ equivelant as soon as he arrives in the country before he starts driving or when he is doing the job!!

My husband's employer told us that at his interview back in September last year as my hubby had recently sat his forklift in the UK thinking that it would be another string to his bow so to speak.., but I think (don't quote me) he will have to re-sit the NZ forklift test when we arrive tooo!!

This way is the only route to go out to NZ via a work visa with an accreditted NZ employer as HGV driving is not on the ISSL.

Good Luck and I hope this info helps you Tricia x
Hi Jo
Just a quick reply to the above thread which seems a little confusing.p9atp is correct in saying that you hubbby will have to resit his haz chem and forklift licences in NZ so don't waste your money.Truck driving is on the ISSL but not the LTSSL.Basically you can get a work visa as a truck driver but can't get PR unless you work for an accredited company and earmn $55000 p/a doing 40 hours aweek.just thought I would let you know as I am here on a work visa with a company which are not accredited.What your hubby needs is an offer of employment.
Cheers
Paul
angpaul is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:16 am
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
samrayner1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Sorry I know this is someone elses thread but I have emailed a few companies in NZ regarding HGV 1 drivers as my OH is one . if you are offered a job would .this allow you to move to oz on a temp working visa even if you are not with an accrediated compay. My oh is thinking of flying over to NZ for a couple of weeks and looking for a hgv 1 job then if he manages to secure a job fly back and apply for visa can anyone advise me if this is a good idea and how long the visa process would take and would i be able to work once we get over to NZ and what visa we would need if he isnt with an accrediated company while he is over there for the two weeks he is thinking of doing his class 5 and forklift licence so he has the nz qualification can he do this on a uk licence
samrayner1971 is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:15 am
  #7  
Tartan Treasure
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 20
p9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nice
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Originally Posted by angpaul View Post
Hi Jo
Just a quick reply to the above thread which seems a little confusing.p9atp is correct in saying that you hubbby will have to resit his haz chem and forklift licences in NZ so don't waste your money.Truck driving is on the ISSL but not the LTSSL.Basically you can get a work visa as a truck driver but can't get PR unless you work for an accredited company and earmn $55000 p/a doing 40 hours aweek.just thought I would let you know as I am here on a work visa with a company which are not accredited.What your hubby needs is an offer of employment.
Cheers
Paul
Hi Jo,

Yip sorry I got it wrong bout truck drivers..I did meant to say that they are NOT on the LTSSL my mistake thanks go out to Paul for correcting me.

My hubby informed me this morning that he will have to sit his Class 5 in NZ within a year of driving there (but don't quote me on that timescale).

Sorry for the mistake Jo, regards Tricia x
p9atp is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:14 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
jojo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Hi

A great big thank you to everybody that emailed with info.regarding HGV driving jobs.

Just got to find an accredited company - set up some interviews - hopefully get them on video link - if not set up interviews and send hubby on plane over to NZ -hopefully get job- that simple hey!!!!!!!!

Once again, thanks

Jo
jojo3 is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:59 am
  #9  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

I know of 2 ex-pats who have got work to residence through these chaps;

http://www.hookers.co.nz/

Good luck.
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:48 pm
  #10  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,055
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

What has been written by the others about trucking driving in NZ is correct.

The only way that a truck driver can possibly gain PR - Permanent Residency is if they can find a job which pays $55K per week for a 40 hour week and it should be with an NZIS acredited employer.

Truck drivers are on the Immediate Shortage List . The Immediate Shortage list is compiled to help NZ employers and shorten the paperwork for temporary work permits.

Truck driving is not seen as a skilled occupation so a truck driver cannot apply via EOI to PR no matter what the shortages may be.

Occupations that are on the Immediate Shortage list can move forward to apply for PR . The employer would need to show that there is no NZ resident or citizen for the job & the hopeful migrant would need to show that he/she has the right quals and work experience to fit the job offered. The other criteria is that the occupation has to be seen as skilled. Trucking is not seen as skilled.





Originally Posted by jojo3 View Post
Hi

I am completely confused!!

My husband holds a Class 1 (Class 5 NZ equivalent) HGV Licence. He is also going to apply for a Hazadous Goods Licence.

As there is a shortage of Truck Drivers out in NZ, therefore, this profession is on the Immediate Skills Shortage List (issl) can someboy PLEASE tell me how one can apply (after two years with a $50k salary) for Permanent Residency? Is it right that if a profession is on the ISSL, it cannot progress to a P.R? Only professions that on the Long Term Shortage List can.

I am considering applying through expression of interest. Does anybody know if a Class 1 is a NZ recognised qualification? This would help immensely on the point scoring table.

Thanks

Jo
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:30 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: nelson nz
Posts: 76
angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
What has been written by the others about trucking driving in NZ is correct.

The only way that a truck driver can possibly gain PR - Permanent Residency is if they can find a job which pays $55K per week for a 40 hour week and it should be with an NZIS acredited employer.

Truck drivers are on the Immediate Shortage List . The Immediate Shortage list is compiled to help NZ employers and shorten the paperwork for temporary work permits.

Truck driving is not seen as a skilled occupation so a truck driver cannot apply via EOI to PR no matter what the shortages may be.

Occupations that are on the Immediate Shortage list can move forward to apply for PR . The employer would need to show that there is no NZ resident or citizen for the job & the hopeful migrant would need to show that he/she has the right quals and work experience to fit the job offered. The other criteria is that the occupation has to be seen as skilled. Trucking is not seen as skilled.
Hi p9atp.
Just to let you know that your husband won't physically have to do another driving test but just go down to the local AA and resit a multiple question test within 1 year of arriving. (cost about $85)This goes for all UK residents wanting to drive in NZ not just truck drivers.Hope this helps.the answer to your question Sam is you can come to NZ on a work visa without an accredited company but you need an offer of employment and to be honest IMO most NZ companies don't give drivers an offer until they are in NZ.Catch 22 .Class 5 or UK HGV 1 should'nt make any difference to the employer .It didnt bother the company I work for one bit.
angpaul is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:16 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
samrayner1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

thanks for answering question. have sent about six emails off to companies in NZ looks like OH will have to get a flight and try and secure a job in the couple of weeks he is over there. I think its the only way. I have spoke to nz house and they said if he can secure a job, there shouldnt be a problem with issuing a visa, and should only take 6 weeks max so fingers crossed thanks once again ang and paul for clearing it up it get all a bit confusing sorry jo for hijacking your thread seems we are all in the same boat fingers crossed for all of us
samrayner1971 is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:27 pm
  #13  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,055
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck Drivers - Immediate Skills Shortage List

Good luck
BEVS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.