Travel Insurance vs Private Healthcare?

Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

SPH1010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance vs Private Healthcare?

Hey there!

Moving to Auckland (from Scotland) for an initial 12 month job contract - got my visa through this morning and the flight is all booked > its all very exciting

My travel agent asked if I wanted to buy travel insurance for the duration and its put a bit of confusion into the mix now. As i'll be working and paying tax as per normal residents - can i not just do what everyone else does in terms of paying per GP visit etc?

£200 travel insurance for the 12 months isn't much - but with money flying out the door already to get myself there - any saving would be welcomed.. .

Have trawled through the net looking for related threads but to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated guys.. .

Steve
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Travel Insurance vs Private Healthcare?

I had the same dilemma and was given this company to look at. I had a quote for a family of 4 so it's not transferrable but I found it cheaper than travel insurance. You can get an instant quote online
Unicare....www.uni-care.org
Viv
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SPH1010
Hey there!

Moving to Auckland (from Scotland) for an initial 12 month job contract - got my visa through this morning and the flight is all booked > its all very exciting

My travel agent asked if I wanted to buy travel insurance for the duration and its put a bit of confusion into the mix now. As i'll be working and paying tax as per normal residents - can i not just do what everyone else does in terms of paying per GP visit etc?

£200 travel insurance for the 12 months isn't much - but with money flying out the door already to get myself there - any saving would be welcomed.. .

Have trawled through the net looking for related threads but to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated guys.. .

Steve
You will be able to register with a GP once here. The health care system is free (with certain exceptions including GP visits which you pay for at the time of visiting). Health insurance can be expensive.

Health Insurance can be expensive here
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

I think it depends on the Visa you have as to whether you can regsiter for free health care when you get there.... If you have a 1 year Visitors Visa or a 1 year Overseas one you have to provide your own health care I understand
Viv
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by viv jones
If you have a 1 year Visitors Visa or a 1 year Overseas one you have to provide your own health care I understand
Viv
Eh?

A visitors visa is for 3 months or 6 months depending on the country of origin isn't it?

What is a 1 year overseas visa please?

Try the eligibility guide

Read about the Reciprocal Agreement
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs
If you are entering temporarily with the prime aim of some sort of study you can get an Overseas Visa which is generally for a year at a time and if you are accompanying them you can get a Visitors visa. They seem to offer 3month...up to 3 year versions. If you only get the ...3 month up to 1 year options... you cannot register for health care or bring personal household goods in without incurring customs tax etc. This is the info NZ House London have given me anyhow!!
We were told the Visitors visa would enable us to enter but if we found work we would have to seek a Working Visa. It can enable you to stay longer than a Holiday visa waver (3 or 6months) but is still temporay.
I do find all the differnet visa options a mind field!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ah ! Study.

I was waylaid by the OP as they are on a one year temp work visa.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:22 am
Just Joined

UK citizens staying temporarily in New Zealand

A United Kingdom (UK) citizen (passport holder) is eligible for treatment (medical, hospital and related) on the same basis as a New Zealand citizen if they:

* are ordinarily resident in the UK (including England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Island of Jersey and the Balliwick of Guernsey, comprising the islands of Guernsey, Alderney, Herm, Jethou and Sark) AND
* are on a temporary stay in New Zealand (a temporary stay would be any stay that was not permanent, and to become permanent they would need to have a residence permit or NZ citizenship) AND
* require medical treatment which,

- in the opinion of a medical practitioner (or dentist for people under 19 years)

- needs prompt attention

- for a condition that arose after arrival into New Zealand, OR became, or without treatment would have become, acutely exacerbated after arrival.

The UK Reciprocal Health Agreement does not cover UK permanent residents.

A UK citizen must have been resident in the UK immediately prior to coming to New Zealand (that is, not have a residence permit for any other country for the period immediately prior).

When receiving services under the reciprocal agreement, a person may not enrol with a Primary Health Organisation (PHO). They should get the same health subsidies as a New Zealand citizen visiting a general practitioner, if the medical practitioner has decided the condition needs prompt attention. They may register with a GP, and should be allocated a NHI number if they do not already have one.

UK citizens may also be eligible for other publicly funded services, under other criteria. For example, if they have a work permit that, together with any other previous permit, allows them to be continuously in New Zealand for two years or more, or if they require maternity-related services and have a partner who is eligible.

What is meant by “acutely exacerbated” in the UK agreement?

A good working definition would be:

* A pre-existing condition that:

o was stable when the person commenced travel AND
o was not expected to deteriorate during the time of the stay in New Zealand AND
o deteriorated and required treatment in New Zealand before the person was able to travel again.
Thanks for your help guys - I reckon i'll go with the advice of the Health Ministry (http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/index...nts#ukcitizens) it seems travel insurance is not needed whilst in the country - but recommended for the time in transit to and from.. .

Steve
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

great...always good if you can save a bit of money!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by viv jones
great...always good if you can save a bit of money!
thanks for your help Viv & everyone.. .