Travel Conditions as a Resident

Old Apr 14th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Conditions as a Resident

Hi peeps

just thinking some options through and was wondering what the travel conditions are as a resident.

I've been in NZ for just over a year, got a WTR visa granted in February - I think I want to stay in NZ but not 100% and thinking it might be good to go back to the UK for a bit (6 months or so) to see how I feel there - but if I do that with how I stand now I probably won't be able to get a visa to come back out again.

I was thinking if i apply from the SMC and get residency, what are the travel conditions attached to it? How long can you stay out the country for and after what period of the visa being granted does that kick in?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

taless is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel Conditions as a Resident

Hi Caz8NZ,

This is not my field of expertise, but from what I understand, your SMC residency visa lasts for 2 years, allowing multi re-entries into NZ. After the 2 years, they decide whether you are eligible for Permanent Residency (without travel conditions) or you have to apply for Variation of Travel Conditions.

Spending 6 months or so in the UK may affect one of the ways you can get PR (i.e. significant length of stay of at least 184 days each 12-month period), therefore affecting your PR. But if you can make it out in other ways (i.e. tax residence status etc.) that will be fine.

Have a read here:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i30484.htm (read RV2, RV3, RV4).
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Conditions as a Resident

Hi Taless - thanks for your response - I had a good read of that link - thanks for that - i was trying to find stuff but I couldn't.

Its actually the SMC residency visa period that I have a query over how long you can be out of the country for and after what period of time and still keep the visa. Still a bit confused about that bit. When you get your first residency visa under the SMC - what are the conditions in regards to travel?

I.e.

if you aren't in the country - you have to arrive within X amount of time etc to start the visa,
and then you have to start the job (if its linked to a job) within X amount of time,
then you have to stay in the job for X amount of time.

THEN - once you have met all those minimum requirements - what happens in regards to travel - how long can you be out of the country for? I know you can generally travel and have multiple re-entries on the SMC resident visa - so that means that you can go on holiday etc overseas - but what about extended periods of leaving the country?

Not so concerned at the moment as to what effect it may have on permanent residency and when that can be applied for.

Thanks!