British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Translation of Documents... French to English! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/translation-documents-french-english-593811/)

Matewx Feb 24th 2009 10:34 pm

Translation of Documents... French to English!

Hi, Me again!
I am French, living in the UK, relocating to NZ... It doesn't get any better! ;)
All my qualifications and the Police Check from France are in FRENCH! I see that they must be translated into English by an accredited person...
Can any of you help me... How do I find a "translator" and what sort of cost am I looking at?? I hear my credit & debit cards crying!! AHAH
Thanks AGAIN!

BEVS Feb 24th 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Translation of Documents... French to English!

NZ Internal Affairs offer a service.

I would imagine any certified translator would be fine.

Per the NZIS website and translation policy

All documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by a certified translator.

A13.5 TRANSLATIONS

a. Applicants must provide a certified translation for any documents not written in English.
b. Translations must:
i not be made by an applicant's family member or a person with an interest in the outcome of the application; and
ii be certified as a correct translation made by a person familiar with both languages and competent in translation work; and
iii be prepared and certified by a recognised private or official translation service; and
iv be on the official letterhead of the translation service, and
v bear the stamp or signature of the translator, and
vi be accompanied by the original documents or certified copies; and
vii be paid for by the applicant.

c. Translations may be prepared by:
i the Translation Service of the Department of Internal Affairs, or
ii language departments of secondary schools or universities, or
iii reputable people within the community who are known to translate documents accurately, or
iv embassies (if the translation is endorsed with the appropriate embassy seal), or
v any other recognised private or official translation service.

urbanproject Feb 25th 2009 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7319647)
Hi, Me again!
I am French, living in the UK, relocating to NZ... It doesn't get any better! ;)
All my qualifications and the Police Check from France are in FRENCH! I see that they must be translated into English by an accredited person...
Can any of you help me... How do I find a "translator" and what sort of cost am I looking at?? I hear my credit & debit cards crying!! AHAH
Thanks AGAIN!

Hiya,

I'm also French, been in Auckland for 3 years now :cool:

When I used to live in London, I found a certified translator on the website of the French Consulate (the one in South Kensington). It was pretty cheap and NZIS accepted it without any problems :) That was in 2005 though, but according to Bevs' quote, I guess it hasn't changed since then.

Best of luck,

Jen :thumbup:

Matewx Feb 27th 2009 11:15 pm

Cheers Jen!
So happy to find a Frenchy on here (Sorry, I know it's called britishexpats.com!!)...
I will look into this now... 3qualifications & 1police check.... £150 (that's the first quote!)

How's the French community in Auckland then? Even if I usually tend to run away from my lovely people... eheh

urbanproject Feb 27th 2009 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7330781)
Cheers Jen!
So happy to find a Frenchy on here (Sorry, I know it's called britishexpats.com!!)...
I will look into this now... 3qualifications & 1police check.... £150 (that's the first quote!)

How's the French community in Auckland then? Even if I usually tend to run away from my lovely people... eheh

The French community in Auckland is reasonably active, although I've not really met that many French people around...not on purpose though :rofl: I moved here on a partner visa (my partner is a kiwi) and most of my friends are NZers :cool:

There's the Alliance Francaise in Grey Lynn and an expat website www.frogs-in-nz.com as well. France is definitely around though, there's just been the French film festival in Auckland, which started in Wellington at the beginning of the month and is now in Christchurch.

Definitely shop around for the translators, I got a few quotes and chose the most convenient, which ended up being the second least expensive.

Don't hasitate if you have other questions, and you can also drop me a pm as well :)

Jen :thumbup: