trainee plumber engaged to kiwi

Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

MD1180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default trainee plumber engaged to kiwi

Hi Everyone,

I have literally only just started investigating emmigrating to NZ so apologies if I ask any obvious questions !

I am a trainee plumber, currently on a level 2 city & guilds but not employed in the trade at the moment.

I am also engaged to a kiwi girl and we are planning on moving to NZ in a couple of years.

Does anyone know if a uk city & guilds qualification is worth anything in NZ or is it irrelevant. I will have minimal if any experience as a plumber when we make the move. Although the plan is to make the career change in NZ to become a plumber - I understand plumbers are in short supply over there.

What would be my best way into New Zealand ? Is the engagement enough or is only marraige worth anything. We would have been together for about 5 years and engaged for about 4 (or more depending on when we move).

I am concerned as I have no other qualifications (other than A-Levels) that I may not be allowed into NZ.

Help !!!!

Thanks in advance !

Matt
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:09 pm
I'm going fishing .....

psa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant future
Default Re: trainee plumber engaged to kiwi

Hi,
I too am a Plumber, C&G level 2 trained and am self employed in Devon, considering Level 3 next year, once i've got more experience under my belt.
"Bevs here" is the one you need to talk to, her OH is a UK qualified Plumber and they've been in NZ for some time now.
I did start a thread called "NZ Plumbers" which Bev replied to, you may find the info interesting.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MD1180 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have literally only just started investigating emmigrating to NZ so apologies if I ask any obvious questions !

I am a trainee plumber, currently on a level 2 city & guilds but not employed in the trade at the moment.

I am also engaged to a kiwi girl and we are planning on moving to NZ in a couple of years.

Does anyone know if a uk city & guilds qualification is worth anything in NZ or is it irrelevant. I will have minimal if any experience as a plumber when we make the move. Although the plan is to make the career change in NZ to become a plumber - I understand plumbers are in short supply over there.

What would be my best way into New Zealand ? Is the engagement enough or is only marraige worth anything. We would have been together for about 5 years and engaged for about 4 (or more depending on when we move).

I am concerned as I have no other qualifications (other than A-Levels) that I may not be allowed into NZ.

Help !!!!

Thanks in advance !

Matt
For you the easiest way is as a partner of a NZ citizen. you dont need to be married, but you need to demonstrate that you have been a de-facto couple living together for (i cant remember if its one or two years, somebody may know, or look on the NZIS website)

If your looking to move to Nz in a couple of years that will work out ideal, as you have time now to get your evidence together as a defacto couple living together. Stuff like utility bills in your names for the same address, bank statements, joint accounts, wills with each other as beneficiaries, life assurance policies, holiday snaps etc..

you dont need to get married, de-facto couples are treated the same as married couples for the purposes of migrating to NZ.

cant help with quals etc and what is accepted in Nz, but in terms of emigrating your easiest option is the partner route.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hallo MD1180 . Welcome to the forum & congrats on your engagement. Have some karma.

As Newkiwi states, the best and easiest way for you to emigrate to New Zealand is as the partner of a New Zealand Citizen. HERE is a list of the sort of proof NZIS - the New Zealand Immigration Service requires.

You will find more info about partners of NZ residents HERE

please click the blue links.

Im summary, you should have no problems emigrating to New Zealand with your partner provided you show all the correct evidence. Qualifications do not come into it at all.

What you do for a living, once you arrive here, and if that is to be plumbing is a whole other issue for you to consider.

Originally Posted by md1180
If you wish to work at plumbing in New Zealand then you have to satisfy the PGDB - Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board of NZ that you are qualified enough to do the job here and also that you meet their criteria.

Please take a look at the link above [blue type] and do download and read the overseas assessment guide. Please also look at the examples of pas registration exam papers.

If your overseas qualifications and work experience do not meet their criteria then they will not allow you to work as a fully qualified plumber here but will want you to go through further PGDB training. That means an apprenticeship .

This would not stop you working at the plumbing trade here in NZ. You would be allowed to do that under a limited licence BUT you would be on extremely low wages and would need to study to complete the apprenticeship . You would need to gain the National Certificate and then also pass the PGDB registration exams. This is no mean feat, even for a homegrown NZ apprentice.

Now then. A City and Guilds level 3 would be worth something in the eyes of the PGDB if it went hand in hand with on the tools work experience.
Many fully qualified & certified UK plumbers come out to NZ. They have the same standard as an NZ craftsman. That is 4/5 years training and full-time, on the tools work experience, plus an NVQ/C&G3. That is the UK standard that the PGDB will accept towards someone being an NZ registered plumber here.

In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, you need to gain your NVQ3 but with suitable work experience. A paper qualification without the practical experience to underpin it means nothing.

Either find work in the plumbing trade and continue to NVQ3 or forget the idea of working as a plumber in New Zealand.

Your only other course , if you are determined to come here and work as a plumber with just an NVQ3 under your belt and no work experience, is to become an NZ apprentice plumber and work towards gaining your NZ National Certificate. It may be possible for you to be assessed for prior learning to reduce the length of time you are an apprentice. Currently that is 4 years. As previously stated apprentice plumbers earn extremely low wages .

Please do come back and post here with any questions you may have & I'll try to help.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

You can look at the Apprentice Training Trust too for a placement - they will assist with finding a host employer, study weeks at Unitec and heaps of other stuff.
http://www.att.org.nz/ is the link. We found them quite wonderful - particularly when my husband was ill for a while - they operate as a charitable organisation.

Be prepared for low wages though - my OH was on $12 an hour and you have to get your own day to day tools.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

hannser is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there. im looking to become an electrician in NZ. im a resident of the UK and 17 years old. I would be starting my NVQ level 3 (4 yr apprenticeship) in september this year but would be amazing if i could do it in new zealand, because i want to emigrate to nz soon anyway. Any information would be much appreciated!
Ive just thought, if the age is a problem, then I will happily wait until im 18 to start the apprenticeship in NZ!

Thanks

Luke.