British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Total Costs for the whole process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/total-costs-whole-process-685198/)

Scousebird Sep 13th 2010 5:37 pm

Total Costs for the whole process

Can anyone (if they don't mind) give a really good guess-estimate at all the costings from the first application going in to moving into a property in NZ with all their stuff from the UK? From insurance to any other hidden fees. I know it will be different on an individual basis and I have a rough idea but just want a closer proximity in costings. Also did anyone rent furnished accommodation when they first went out? I'm thinking I could be waiting at least 12 weeks for the likes of cots, highchairs, toys etc which when thinking about it maybe a small nightmare with young ones!

Ta

aalls73 Sep 14th 2010 12:49 am

Re: Total Costs for the whole process

Hi There, it cost us around 10'000 pounds all told we found it easier to send our furniture 5 weeks before we left the UK and moved in with friends until our departure date, once in NZ we lived with just the basics until our stuff arrivd. good luck and there are plenty of properties out there that are furnished but im not to sure how you'd go about only renting them with the furniture until yours arrived...........

QUOTE=Scousebird;8845339]Can anyone (if they don't mind) give a really good guess-estimate at all the costings from the first application going in to moving into a property in NZ with all their stuff from the UK? From insurance to any other hidden fees. I know it will be different on an individual basis and I have a rough idea but just want a closer proximity in costings. Also did anyone rent furnished accommodation when they first went out? I'm thinking I could be waiting at least 12 weeks for the likes of cots, highchairs, toys etc which when thinking about it maybe a small nightmare with young ones!

Ta[/QUOTE]

simonsi Sep 15th 2010 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 8845339)
Can anyone (if they don't mind) give a really good guess-estimate at all the costings from the first application going in to moving into a property in NZ with all their stuff from the UK?

It will vary hugely depending on the cost of your flights (how many are there of you???), and your shipping costs (will your stuff fit in a 20ft container, a 40ft or aren´t you shipping anything???).

Without some sort of parameters around these it will be hard to relate my costs (around 12.5k GBP - not inc accomodation after landing) to your circumstances. There are five of us and we needed a 40ft container BTW.

Scousebird Sep 15th 2010 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8849084)
It will vary hugely depending on the cost of your flights (how many are there of you???), and your shipping costs (will your stuff fit in a 20ft container, a 40ft or aren´t you shipping anything???).

Without some sort of parameters around these it will be hard to relate my costs (around 12.5k GBP - not inc accomodation after landing) to your circumstances. There are five of us and we needed a 40ft container BTW.

There will probably be 4 of us (as I'm currently carrying one and still hoping it is defo only 1!!) and at a guess estimate we may need a 20ft container but I may be told different. I'm getting the feeling for about 10 grand to do the full transition unless we are fortunate to get an employer who will help with some costs! fingers crossed. Thanks for the info esp as it's a bit personal!

Scousebird Sep 15th 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8846305)
Hi There, it cost us around 10'000 pounds all told we found it easier to send our furniture 5 weeks before we left the UK and moved in with friends until our departure date, once in NZ we lived with just the basics until our stuff arrivd. good luck and there are plenty of properties out there that are furnished but im not to sure how you'd go about only renting them with the furniture until yours arrived...........

QUOTE=Scousebird;8845339]Can anyone (if they don't mind) give a really good guess-estimate at all the costings from the first application going in to moving into a property in NZ with all their stuff from the UK? From insurance to any other hidden fees. I know it will be different on an individual basis and I have a rough idea but just want a closer proximity in costings. Also did anyone rent furnished accommodation when they first went out? I'm thinking I could be waiting at least 12 weeks for the likes of cots, highchairs, toys etc which when thinking about it maybe a small nightmare with young ones!

Ta

[/QUOTE]
thanks for advice, food for thought on the moving dates which would make sense to try and hold out for as long as possible. I've watched someone at work return from Oz and wait for 12 weeks for belongings to return, having to sleep on an air bed and struggle with two little ones. We do want to do a stop off on the way but we will probably have to take stuff with us on the flight like travel cot buggy etc. thanks again

simonsi Sep 15th 2010 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 8850802)
Thanks for the info esp as it's a bit personal!

No problem, bear in mind you have to be without your stuff for the transit time but you can decide where you are without it, UK, NZ or on holiday. If you have some critical baby items it might be worth airfreighting some things, should give you 10 days door-to-door but at greater cost. Most airlines can also take an extra bag per person at a reasonable fixed cost...

bolton1 Sep 17th 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 8845339)
Can anyone (if they don't mind) give a really good guess-estimate at all the costings from the first application going in to moving into a property in NZ with all their stuff from the UK? From insurance to any other hidden fees. I know it will be different on an individual basis and I have a rough idea but just want a closer proximity in costings. Also did anyone rent furnished accommodation when they first went out? I'm thinking I could be waiting at least 12 weeks for the likes of cots, highchairs, toys etc which when thinking about it maybe a small nightmare with young ones!

Ta

Hi
You can hire baby car seats from Plunket ( like a health visitor ) or with car hire. Make sure they qualify to NZstandards - (Plunket should) the registration date is usually found on the side .
Depending where you are settling contact your local immigration settlement service ( usually via local council , library will have info) they may be able to help with baby stuff until your things arrive. Or there may be charities who will help.

Again depending where you settle there are toy libraries etc

You could also put a thread on here when you arrive you never know someone may have a travel cot & bits n bobs.
Hope all goes smoothly

Scousebird Sep 18th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by bolton1 (Post 8856324)
Hi
You can hire baby car seats from Plunket ( like a health visitor ) or with car hire. Make sure they qualify to NZstandards - (Plunket should) the registration date is usually found on the side .
Depending where you are settling contact your local immigration settlement service ( usually via local council , library will have info) they may be able to help with baby stuff until your things arrive. Or there may be charities who will help.

Again depending where you settle there are toy libraries etc

You could also put a thread on here when you arrive you never know someone may have a travel cot & bits n bobs.
Hope all goes smoothly

Thanks for this - it's put my mind at ease I'm terrible for being organised but I just want to cover every angle to reduce the stress of it all. hope you're well. x

Phil.n.Wendy Sep 18th 2010 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 8850802)
There will probably be 4 of us (as I'm currently carrying one and still hoping it is defo only 1!!) and at a guess estimate we may need a 20ft container but I may be told different. I'm getting the feeling for about 10 grand to do the full transition unless we are fortunate to get an employer who will help with some costs! fingers crossed. Thanks for the info esp as it's a bit personal!

Hi Scousebird,

We are just going through a similar process.

Hopefully getting an offer from a potential employer, who is fronting some of the cost and we are coming up with approx £5-6k which includes shipping, accommodation, initial rent, deposits for long-term rental, car hire etc.. the list goes on, however there are only 3 of us and we are retaining our property hear for the short term so that also gives us an additional costing. But I would agree £10K would be a typical average, but as simonsi states its dependant on your individual circumstances. I'm currently planning for Mid Jan as an arrival date, as we will be referred to the MA as wendy had cervical cancer 5 years ago (which has been removed with no recurrence :thumbsup:), but I've accounted for a few weeks for the referral, just in case. I'm worried about the shipping, and like yourself don't fancy being without for weeks on end, worst thing is that we are renting our place and moving in with the mother-in-law and its the 1.5months between moving out and leaving for NZ with a few weeks in temp acaccom.We will prob. only have a 20ft container and I always thought it took 6 weeks give or take, (could anyone clarify or would it depend on who you use??)

Anyway, I would love to help out with any other hiccups that you might have as we are at probably a similar sort of stage as you with the immigration process.

Phil & Wendy

p.s. I've put up a few posts up and thanks to all those that responded but due to work commitments and general chaos (plus a holiday) I've been a little slack in responding. Thanks again.. :thumbup:

Boopy Sep 19th 2010 12:48 am

It cost us (3 adults) just over $10,000 4 years ago. We also had a holiday enroute, which I personally would not suggest it. I was so wound up & just wanted to get to NZ, I felt it was a waste, & would rather have brought the extra GBP to NZ. We stayed in a B & B for 1 month until we bought our house.

Persephone Sep 19th 2010 2:34 am

I came over just under two years ago-the time has flown by! I put my costs down in the thread below
Costs of Immigration

I did come on my own without a lot of belongings so it may not be that relevant:unsure:

Scousebird Sep 19th 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Phil.n.Wendy (Post 8858477)
Hi Scousebird,

We are just going through a similar process.

Hopefully getting an offer from a potential employer, who is fronting some of the cost and we are coming up with approx £5-6k which includes shipping, accommodation, initial rent, deposits for long-term rental, car hire etc.. the list goes on, however there are only 3 of us and we are retaining our property hear for the short term so that also gives us an additional costing. But I would agree £10K would be a typical average, but as simonsi states its dependant on your individual circumstances. I'm currently planning for Mid Jan as an arrival date, as we will be referred to the MA as wendy had cervical cancer 5 years ago (which has been removed with no recurrence :thumbsup:), but I've accounted for a few weeks for the referral, just in case. I'm worried about the shipping, and like yourself don't fancy being without for weeks on end, worst thing is that we are renting our place and moving in with the mother-in-law and its the 1.5months between moving out and leaving for NZ with a few weeks in temp acaccom.We will prob. only have a 20ft container and I always thought it took 6 weeks give or take, (could anyone clarify or would it depend on who you use??)

Anyway, I would love to help out with any other hiccups that you might have as we are at probably a similar sort of stage as you with the immigration process.

Phil & Wendy

p.s. I've put up a few posts up and thanks to all those that responded but due to work commitments and general chaos (plus a holiday) I've been a little slack in responding. Thanks again.. :thumbup:

Think you're probably ahead of us, I've done all the planning covering all the corners but not going to start the official stuff until January as my baby is due in March. By time baby comes we should be in full force and I'm using my mat leave to sort it all out - if I can! Would be nice to be hear about your ventures though - if you have the time. ta. x

Scousebird Sep 19th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8858625)
I came over just under two years ago-the time has flown by! I put my costs down in the thread below
Costs of Immigration

I did come on my own without a lot of belongings so it may not be that relevant:unsure:

really useful this - would recommend people have a peek - obviously it does exclude some costs but appears to cover a lot of the legality stuff which I was after. Thanks Persephone.