Timings and flights

Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:36 am
Just Joined

phallett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timings and flights

Hey folks. My partner and I are currently waiting for her work visa, and my partner visa, to be processed as part of a group application.

We started the process in July, but due to university transcripts (she's a midwife) and my GP records (I had a single prescription of anxiety medication in the past, and had to deliver my ENTIRE history to prove I wasn't a burden) we've not been able to get everything together until about a week ago. NHS GP's are so slow!

Now here's my question.

We planned out our move to NZ about a year ago, and we booked flights and accommodation for mid-October. There is still a good chance that we'll get our visas approved before we travel, but I wanted to check because I see that the immigration office is having issues with processing the backlog of visas.

If our visa isn't finalised before our travel dates, will we still be okay traveling over on a tourist visa and then have the work visas approved afterwards?

I can't find any information about whether or not we need to post our passports to get them stamped, or it is done electronically.

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timings and flights

Work and partner visa wise I'd expect them to be processed in time. They are usually processed within a matter of weeks but yes there are many delays with processing and backlogs so there's no guarantee.
If for any insane reason they weren't processed in time you should be able to travel over on visitor visas, but :-
(1) You'd have to apply for an NZeTA each (for travel after 1st October 2019).
(2) You'd have to ensure you stick within the requirements of the visitor visa. Absolutely NO working, you'd have to ensure you had sufficient funds for the whole period of the visitor visa per person to cover your accommodation, visiting and food expenses (6 months) and you'd probably have to have a return ticket and not just a one way flight per person or you'd be prevented from travelling in the UK.

The work visa process may also be further delayed as the Immigration officer dealing with your work visa/partner visa is probably in the UK and you won't be there. You could make sure they are aware of course and/or you could transfer the processing to an INZ officer in NZ.
Passports wise it can all be done electronically nowadays, however I think there is still an option to have the sticker inserted (if you want to delay further and pay more money).
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 10:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

As Escape has said you can travel over on a visitors visa but would have to show an ongoing flight out 6 mths later or they will not let you board in the UK, and yes you would need to apply for a ETA to be able to enter.
This is how we came over back in 2012 as our visa had not been sorted. At that time the visas were being processed in UK but once we had the 2nd check and approval we had the case transferred over to NZ for the blueys being put in the passport but again as Escape says you may not need to do that as there are evisa's now.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Narbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really nice

We had our skilled migrant visa (and partner work visa) turned around in just over 4 weeks. That was including losing a week due to have to get a doctors assessment report due to me previously having anxiety medication. This was in June/July. As of today we've been in Auckland for nearly 4 weeks. No need for anything being put in your passport. It's all electronic and they send you an email with your visa attached as back up.

A friend had his done in 4 weeks back in January as well. I think if you're both British citizens with clean records and a sponsorship and relatively clean bill of health then it should go through fairly quickly.

Cheers