British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Timing on EOI to visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/timing-eoi-visa-837278/)

physeptone Jun 24th 2014 7:21 pm

Timing on EOI to visa

Hello all, i'm needing some advice for my potential employer.....

As a professional i had to take an exam in my area of expertise before i could work in NZ. I passed this late May then found a job in order to apply under the SMC.
I have submitted my EOI and it was selected early this month.
That is it. I have heard nothing since.

I am starting to get uneasy because my employer would like me to be in work by August..... Also i need to use my exam pass which is time limited to early September!

I really had hoped to be getting on a plane by mid to late July, but i am aware there are medicals and other checks that have not even been requested yet..........

Is there any other way to get to NZ and start work? I can't stand this waiting around and i don't want to lose the job :ohmy:

I wish there were updates on each stage of the application...

Here's hoping for some help, thanks.

MrsFychan Jun 24th 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Timing on EOI to visa

it can take a while for the ITA to be sent out. and you then have 3/4mths to get all the paper work in and then their clock starts ticking. it can take upto and pass 3mths for them to come up with a decision, depends on the hours the CO works and if their are any paperwork/medical problems on the way. You could try and obtain a temp work visa to get you out and working so meet the employers deadline

physeptone Jun 24th 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11314014)
it can take a while for the ITA to be sent out. and you then have 3/4mths to get all the paper work in and then their clock starts ticking. it can take upto and pass 3mths for them to come up with a decision, depends on the hours the CO works and if their are any paperwork/medical problems on the way. You could try and obtain a temp work visa to get you out and working so meet the employers deadline

Thanks.
Sorry to be useless (but i have no other sources of infomation and the £1 per minute helpline is very impolite and quite unhelpful about all situations regarding professionals, or so i have found) what is the possibility of getting such a visa?
Thanks

MrsFychan Jun 24th 2014 9:10 pm

not being useless it is a bit difficult just hanging around. the phone number in my signature by passes the switch that charges the £1 a minute charge.

You will still need to submit documentation but if you go for a 12mths temp work visa you won't need the medicals submitted. Have a look on the Immigration web site for temp work visa and have a read through.

physeptone Jun 24th 2014 9:28 pm

Ah, thanks for the cheap telephone number :)

I am 39 so from what i can work out not able to apply for a temp work visa (as over 30)....... if i can i am gutted i missed this about a year ago! And the availabel options are really clouded in mist! I have read and read the website to little avail. I have pretty much done everything blind with no help from NZ immigration as scared of the £1 a minute helpline and even the one time i did ring it they were so abrupt and unhelpful i decided never to ring back.....

MrsFychan Jun 24th 2014 10:04 pm

there is no age limit as far as I am aware on a temp work visa. on a working holiday visa there is but that is a different visa.

Requirements

physeptone Jun 24th 2014 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11314151)
there is no age limit as far as I am aware on a temp work visa. on a working holiday visa there is but that is a different visa.

Requirements

Thanks, they really should pay you for providing this advice!

After applying for what i have it looks like i have applied for the wrong bloody visa after all. If they were more helpful and the documentation more clear this could have been avoided. :thumbdown:

I'll give them a ring tomorrow...... :)

MrsFychan Jun 24th 2014 11:36 pm

wwhhooo no payment as this is my opinion and I and no one else on here is a recognised Immigration Advisor and therefore cannot give Immigration Advice, just our experiences and our understanding of the process through reading other peoples experiences and reading the Immigration website.

Ok lets start at the beginning.

you have a job offer, you have applied because of this job offer for a visa through the Skilled Migrant route. Your EOI met the criteria to be pulled from the pool and you are now awaiting the ITA (Invitation to Apply) paperwork to be delivered ?

If this is not correct please advise.

Persephone Jun 25th 2014 3:12 pm

If you need to start work in August then you will be pushing it. Once you receive your ITA you have 4 months to return it with all the necessary documents. These include police certs, health certs etc - these certificates do have a time limit on them so you wouldn't want to do them too early.

Have you got all your other documents ready to go? Things like work experience and qualification proof, relationship proof[if necessary], long birth certificate, IQA from NZQA [if necessary], occupational registration. This is off the top of my head so there may be others.

You haven't necessarily applied for the wrong visa-you have applied for residency and if your plan is to stay in NZ long term then you will need to apply for this anyway. Even if you need a temporary visa to get you started.

Your options for a temp visa are either Essential Skills work visa or a WTR visa: what you can apply for depends on your job offer.
These do not have an age limit, you are thinking of the Working Holiday Visa which is not for permanent work even if you could apply.

Is your profession on any of the skills shortage lists?

physeptone Jun 26th 2014 1:23 pm

Ergh. this is a bit of a nightmare.
I have to start work before early septmber or re-register my profession (they have only given me since i found out earlier this month i could register until september- hardly giving me a chance!)
I have been waiting to be asked for the certificates to get them- i have none.
My profession was on the Essential skills list until March when it was removed.......

As i need to work for 4 weeks then do an oral examination it is very unclear how the employer can prove they tried to employ anyone else- they approached me via a 'Position wanted' advert. The 1115 form isn't geared up for recruiting professionals to training positions- you can't just employ anyone.

physeptone Jun 26th 2014 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11314219)
wwhhooo no payment as this is my opinion and I and no one else on here is a recognised Immigration Advisor and therefore cannot give Immigration Advice, just our experiences and our understanding of the process through reading other peoples experiences and reading the Immigration website.

Ok lets start at the beginning.

you have a job offer, you have applied because of this job offer for a visa through the Skilled Migrant route. Your EOI met the criteria to be pulled from the pool and you are now awaiting the ITA (Invitation to Apply) paperwork to be delivered ?

If this is not correct please advise.

Sorry, missed this post before- yes you have the story completely right understanding where i am with everything.

In a further development I have had an email back from immigration in response to my query and they have said i would not need to do a 1015..... unless i wish to start work soon... which of course i do.

MrsFychan Jun 26th 2014 7:49 pm

if you have not already had your ITA back to fill in and send off documents then I'm fairly sure that you will not get a visa answer before September. You may need to look into your option of a temp visa but as you now say your occupation is no longer on the skills list you may need to speak to someone to clarify which way would be best.
As Persephone has said you may be able to get a work to residency visa, which is like a temp visa but after 2 years if you fit the criteria you can then apply for PR. have a look at the temp visa options and see which one could work for you time and money wise

Persephone Jun 27th 2014 4:22 pm

Since your job is not on the LTSSL then you can only get a WTR visa if your employer is accredited. There are different streams but the job offer must fit into one of them.

So; work visas, your employer will have to prove no NZers can do the job. They do this by showing they have advertised, that the salary rate is within normal limits for the job etc. INZ 1015 is the application for a work visa

For us to determine that an employer has made a genuine attempt to find a suitably trained or qualified New Zealand worker we need to see:

##how often and widely the employer has advertised the position in New Zealand
##that the terms and conditions – such as hours and salary – match those for the New Zealand job market
##that the specifications or requirements in the job description match the job and really are needed to do the job. (We may not give approval if, for example, a job specification states the worker must speak a foreign language or be of a particular ethnic background when this is not really necessary to do the job.)

The employer also has to explain why:

*their particular job specifications are necessary for the work
*New Zealand applicants are not suitable
*New Zealand applicants cannot be readily trained.
I don't know if NZIS are a bit more lenient with work visas if the applicant is also applying for residency:unsure:

M_and_M Jun 29th 2014 10:06 am

I applied for a temp visa which was granted within 2 weeks, because I couldn't wait for my residency visa to process, it would take too long. My employer wanted me over here rapidly too,like yours. I collected my stamps once I was already here, for the residency visa. My timescale is on the blog if you want to see how long everything took.

LauraNotts Jul 6th 2014 8:44 am

Best option I can see is a Work Visa. If you already have your documents ready to go this should be pretty quick. I got mine back within about 5 days even when they quoted 28 as a processing time.