Timescales, healthchecks and worries

Old May 10th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timescales, healthchecks and worries

I so want to find a way to make this work

It looks as if husband and I won't have enough points for automatic selection from the EOI pool unless he has a job offer. However, if he has a job offer he won't be able to take it up unless we know we're certain we'll be accepted for permanent residency under the skilled migrant category.

My understanding is that the EOI - ITA - submission - acceptance process will take quite a bit longer than three months even if we're selected and an ITA is sent out relatively quickly. I'm pretty sure we will both be referred for additional medicals, I can't see why they would refuse us as we both have exemplary work records and have cost the NHS practically nothing but I am recovering from CFS and husband has high blood pressure which is easily managed (genetic thing, not a disease) and these things seem to make people think we might be unable to work or expensive to keep

I was reading the medical documents this morning though and, even under the temporary entry class visa, it says, 'If you intend to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months you will need to submit a medical certificate and chest X-ray certificate with your application'.

Could this be a way of us finding out whether we're likely to be accepted under SMC and reassure us that we'll be fine with medicals for that and, therefore, encourage us to take the risk of going out on a temporary work visa?

My impression is that the temporary visas are processed considerably faster than the SMC ones, especially if you have a job offer. If we gain a green light for this type of visa with our medical reports are we likely to then be knocked back for medical reasons under the SMC?

My thinking is that gaining approval for a temporary visa where our medical data is OK would give us a lot of confidence in making the jump overseas. What do others think please?
Old May 10th 2013, 10:49 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timescales, healthchecks and worries

think it would be a waste of money. if you get a job offer you might as well submit the ITA and get a 12mth temp work visa. that way you only pay for one medical to submit with the ITA. medicals and police certs are only valid for 3mths

If there are any slight medical problems you would probably get referred but if its nothing untoward that referral should be back with the CO within 2 weeks, unless they want to get more information, so doesn't really hold the application up.

I personally think you need to think along the lines of getting a job offer before you do anything else, discussing the way forward with employer, I think you said that you OH needs to give 3mths notice and not prepared to jack the job in until he gets an offer, then look at the visa options.
You might just have to prepare yourselves to do what a lot of us have done and have one of you out here and working with the other following on once the PR is approved.
Old May 10th 2013, 3:43 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

It looks as if husband and I won't have enough points for automatic selection from the EOI pool unless he has a job offer. However, if he has a job offer he won't be able to take it up unless we know we're certain we'll be accepted for permanent residency under the skilled migrant category.

You would have enough points for an automatic selection if you had a job offer. It would be unlikely [but no one can say 100% certain] for you to then be rejected assuming everything else is in order, correct and you can prove everything you're claiming points for. You could get a potential employer to delay the start time in order for you to apply. It will vary. My employer was happy to wait 4 months for me to start even though I already had residency [I had not needed a job offer to gain it however]. I'm not sure how many employers would be willing to wait that long though, maybe I just got lucky?
My understanding is that the EOI - ITA - submission - acceptance process will take quite a bit longer than three months even if we're selected and an ITA is sent out relatively quickly. I'm pretty sure we will both be referred for additional medicals, I can't see why they would refuse us as we both have exemplary work records and have cost the NHS practically nothing but I am recovering from CFS and husband has high blood pressure which is easily managed (genetic thing, not a disease) and these things seem to make people think we might be unable to work or expensive to keep

It can take less than 3months to go from EOI to residency with a job offer in place but every case is different so not something you would want to rely on. Your medicals will be referred to a medical assessor and they will make a decision or ask for more info. Obviously this will slow things down, again it varies.
I was reading the medical documents this morning though and, even under the temporary entry class visa, it says, 'If you intend to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months you will need to submit a medical certificate and chest X-ray certificate with your application'.

Could this be a way of us finding out whether we're likely to be accepted under SMC and reassure us that we'll be fine with medicals for that and, therefore, encourage us to take the risk of going out on a temporary work visa?
You can only apply for a temp visa if you already have a job offer in place. You can't send in medicals just to see whether they will be accepted, is that what you meant?
Your problem is that you need a job offer to apply for any visa but you'll only know the situation with your health issues when you actually have that job offer and can therefore apply for a visa.
Maybe do a search on here for both conditions. My feeling is that, given that you are both working and healthy, that you shouldn't have too many problems with the medical side of things. However that is just my 'feeling' and I could be wrong. Unfortunately it's not a question that anyone can give a definite answer to, though if someone has had experience with the same health issues then that may give you more confidence
My impression is that the temporary visas are processed considerably faster than the SMC ones, especially if you have a job offer. If we gain a green light for this type of visa with our medical reports are we likely to then be knocked back for medical reasons under the SMC?

Work and WTR visas are processed very quickly and people often apply for one just to start work on time. I would not think you'd be knocked back for medical reasons under the SMC as your medicals have already been submitted, assessed and accepted. I would expect them to be referred to the medical assessor on submission
My thinking is that gaining approval for a temporary visa where our medical data is OK would give us a lot of confidence in making the jump overseas. What do others think please?

Once your medicals have been submitted they 'last' in the system for 36 months so you do not have to repeat them if you come over on a temporary visa and then apply under the SMC. You would have supplied the General Medical Cert for a work visa.
If you are only applying under the SMC then your medical cert must be less than 3m old when your ITA is submitted. Your police cert must be less than 6m old
P
Old May 11th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Hi,
Don't worry about your hubby and his high BP.
I've had hereditary hypertension and major white coat syndrome although only just above borderline, for around 10 years and have been on medication for it for the majority of that time.
When we submitted our SMC visa application I was on a tablet a day - still am now.
It didn't even raise a further question from immigration, I expect because it is well controlled and the cost of the medication over the remainder of my lifetime is tiny - or at least under the threshold, which at the time was $25000. This was raised to $41000 in 2012 so the latter figure will apply to you.
Old May 11th 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I feel a bit more reassured now. We can't afford to have a gap in income so need to try and go from paid employment here to paid employment in NZ with the smallest gap possible.

It does look as if we might be better off with the health checks than I'd feared. When everyone was talking about being referred it all sounded really worrying.

Hopefully I'll have Skype set up soon and can talk to people in NZ which I'm hoping might make things a little easier. Only 8 months now and we'll be out on our fact finding trip
Old May 12th 2013, 7:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so you are planning a fact finding tour in 8mths so at the moment not planning on submitting any application for a visa?

Please be aware that the skilled lists do change and some have planned for months in advance to get their visa's and then when they have actually applied, teachers and some nursing springs to mind, their skills are not longer on the lsts so are back to not having enough points to obtain a visa easily. Just something to bear in mind that could possibly happen
Old May 13th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

It's something I'm keeping a close eye on thanks to the messages I've seen on here. I'd have been OK if teaching had stayed on the list but it has now dropped off and I have the impression that most of my skills will not be on the lists long if they appear at all.

I think we're hopeful that engineering of the type husband does has been on the list so long that it will still be there when we're in a position to submit applications.

The one thing I would say to anyone thinking of doing this is do it early, it's so much more complicated and difficult now we're older. My regret is not emigrating when we first talked about it 25 years ago.