British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Timescales and Handing in Notice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/timescales-handing-notice-681629/)

tandn Aug 17th 2010 8:37 pm

Timescales and Handing in Notice!

Hi there. I have an NZ job offer. Does anyone have any advice on how quickly I can expect my work visa to be processed? I am submitting visas for my partner and daughter at the same time. I feel it would be foolish to hand in my notice at work until I have the visas for all of us but am under pressure to start my new job as soon as possible. Sure I'm not the only one who's in this position! Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks:thumbsup:

abbey_o Aug 17th 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Timescales and Handing in Notice!

Hi there, congrats on your job offer. My boyfriend also got a job offer and it took us 2 days from when we applied for a working visa to be told we got it. We got a 3yr working visa and I got a working visa on the back of my boyfriends one. As long as you show the contract from your new employers and also they will have to send you proof that they are accredited and that they have also advertised the job in nz. it was all pretty straight forward, if I can be of any help please ask. Your police checks and medicals need to be done first and then submitted with your forms,
Abbey:thumbsup:

tandn Aug 23rd 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, Abbey. Really helpful to know that it could be so quick! We have Police checks and Medicals back too. Just sent off my app for professional registration today so once I get that back I can submit the visa apps - there's so much to do and I know this is only the beginning!

Thanks again

niam_huh Sep 6th 2010 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by tandn (Post 8783705)
Hi there. I have an NZ job offer. Does anyone have any advice on how quickly I can expect my work visa to be processed? I am submitting visas for my partner and daughter at the same time. I feel it would be foolish to hand in my notice at work until I have the visas for all of us but am under pressure to start my new job as soon as possible. Sure I'm not the only one who's in this position! Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks:thumbsup:

Hi Tandn
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but do you mind my asking exactly what visa you're applying for for your partner? I'm in NZ on a working holiday visa and was going to go Skilled Migrant (as a teacher) and put my partner de facto on that. Then I realised the timeline's a bit short (WHV expires in early December) so I rang immigration in a panic to ask if there's a bridging visa that allows me to work for the school that's hiring me while I wait for the application to process and was told no. So they advised me to apply for a normal work permit under the Essential Skills Work Policy (Form 1015) and said that my partner would have to somplete the same form. But I don't understand what policy on that form he should be applying under. And I'm starting to panic ever so slightly now...
Any help'd be great. Thanks! :fingerscrossed:

tandn Sep 6th 2010 10:12 pm

Hi there. No apologies needed at all, hope I can help!

I am completing a 1015 for myself (work to residence category) and also a 1015 for my other half under the 'family work policy' category. It's section N on the form. It's a little confusing as I've had to complete it as if I already have been granted my work visa although I've been told it's fine to submit both applications at the same time. I also have to complete a 1146 form (form for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications) for my partner to send with his application.

Hope that helps and good luck with it all. I feel like I've been put through an aptitude test with all these forms and I'm still not quite ready to send off our applications yet! Take care

niam_huh Sep 7th 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by tandn (Post 8830529)
Hi there. No apologies needed at all, hope I can help!

I am completing a 1015 for myself (work to residence category) and also a 1015 for my other half under the 'family work policy' category. It's section N on the form. It's a little confusing as I've had to complete it as if I already have been granted my work visa although I've been told it's fine to submit both applications at the same time. I also have to complete a 1146 form (form for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications) for my partner to send with his application.

Hope that helps and good luck with it all. I feel like I've been put through an aptitude test with all these forms and I'm still not quite ready to send off our applications yet! Take care

Section N it is then!Yeah, I was a bit worried about ticking the box saying I was sonsoring him as someone who already had a permit until I saw the miniscule print saying it was ok if I was applying myself at the time.
What freaked me out was I misread the part where it says you can only bring a partner if you have a six-month work permit already - I thought it meant I had to be here on a permit 6 months before I could bring him over. But I think it just means my permit must be at least that long. Feel a bit thick now!

Thanks for the help and best of luck with your application!