British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Time once you have a case officer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/time-once-you-have-case-officer-515505/)

zummerzet_lou Feb 19th 2008 11:08 am

Time once you have a case officer?

sorry guys .. ANOTHER thread requesting timescales.

We are in a HUGE quandry .. have accepted an offer on our house, and buyer wants to move in mid March.

We are due to be allocated a case officer either this week or next if we can believe the London office guidelines.

So, once we have a case officer, bearing in mind we have no job offer, how long does it take to have our passports back?

I need to know as we have to decide if we are to get a rental or camp out at relatives for the interim period.

TIA.
Lou

happynz Feb 19th 2008 11:29 am

Re: Time once you have a case officer?

I would think that NZIS would only need to site your passports and have photocopies of them for processing so you should be getting them back right away. That's what happened in our case. We dropped off our ITA and got a phone call the next day asking me to come in and pick up the passports. If and when your application is accepted you obviously will need to submit your passports to have the visas pasted in. Our passports took about a week to process after our ITA was successful and migrant levies paid.

I hope this helps.

zummerzet_lou Feb 19th 2008 1:09 pm

Sorry - I obviously didn't make myself clear.

How long from being allocated a case officer, will it take to have the blue stickers and hence be free to reside in NZ?

I stupidly sent originals to NZIS London .. so they keep all the documentation whilst they process it. If you are reading this, and are applying I'd definately advise that you only send certified copies if you think you might need your paperwork at any time in the 4+ months it takes for them to process the ITA!!

Tan0410 Feb 19th 2008 1:17 pm

Hi there,

I read on the Immigration pages that without a job offer the whole process from EOI takes around 9 months. Might depend on how you're applying?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/

...although experiences vary and it will also depend on whether you submit everything o.k and there aren't additional queries from NZ house!

zummerzet_lou Feb 19th 2008 1:23 pm

With no job offer it takes ages! We submitted our EOI back in July 2007, submitted our ITA in Nov 2007 and have waited 3 long months till when we are due to finally get a case officer.

I just need to know how long this final stage takes as I really don't think I could cope staying with my inlaws for more than 4 weeks ...

Lou

Tan0410 Feb 19th 2008 1:52 pm

Check out the link I've pasted above... think it says 1 - 3 months

Maz Feb 19th 2008 5:17 pm

I was told we have a case officer about 4 weeks ago now, I think. I'm already in NZ and working. I said to the nice lady on the phone at NZIS (who told me we had a case officer) that I was hoping for PR by Easter, so in about 4 1/2 weeks from time of this post, and she said that might be a bit optimistic.

newzealandplease Feb 19th 2008 5:53 pm

Its all pot luck I think, based around how many times your ITA gets passed around or if case workers go on holiday.

Some are lucky and seem to get sorted VERY quickly. Other (like us) find its been sat in someones intray for weeks. In hindsight as soon as you know you have a case officer I'd do a weekly or fortnightly courtesy phonecall to see how its going and if they need anything else form you. At least that way you know whats going on.

newzealandplease Feb 19th 2008 5:55 pm

p.s. the house being sold is a good thing not a quandry :)

you can always put your stuff in storage and rent somewhere cheap. Or get a work visa (if you can) and get over here, NZIS gave me back my original passport for the work visa.

PHONEJUNKY Feb 19th 2008 6:00 pm

Hi there,

We were ITA last year (all our paperwork had to be in by July 2007) and by September 2007 we had been granted PR passports (blues stamped) back the lot!!!! We were really surprised how quickly it all went. Our case officer seemed really nice and she communicated with us on a regular basis.

Mandy