Thyroid cancer

Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future
Question Thyroid cancer

hi all,

I've done a search of the boards and couldn't find anything, but I'll hope that one of you can help

Hubby and daughter are NZ citizens, I'm British. Unfortunately I was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer last year, which has a great cure rate but is still a Nasty Big C. Treatment should be over and done with by Xmas this year, as the only cells left are so small they can barely be detected and will therefore be assassinated by radioactive iodine treatment rather than surgery. After that, all I need is a lifetime's supply of replacement thyroxine, which is a common (self-paid) prescription drug.

My google-fu suggests that all cancers require a 5-year all clear before immigration will touch you with a barge pole. Is that pretty much it? Should I call one of the panel doctors.. and if I did, would (s)he charge me??

cheers, Sophie
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thyroid cancer

Hi Sophie.

You are right in saying that the New Zealand Immigration Manual does state it requires a 5 year 'clear' period for malignancies.

I am going to take a really unusual step here and suggest you contact a person who uses another NZ forum board. It's not forum etiquette to do this as you know but , hey, you need the help and I think this person is exactly right to help you.

It's a judgement call I'm making here as a BE mod. It's a bit out on a limb really, but I'm betting BE admin will think it's OK under the circumstances.
This person only posts there so it is the only way to contact them.

The person/user nameyou should contact is Nickbraddock and you will find him on the ENZ forum.

After submitting an EOI towards NZ PR his wife was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and so he withdrew a PR application a couple of years back at the beginning of 2006. He and his family have just landed in Xch NZ, June 2008 ...with PR. That is a far less than 5 year period.

Send the man a PM. and please don't be a stranger to this board. Come back and keep us updated as to how you get on. You never know who may be looking in that can help further or who your posts may help in the future.

Oh ! and have some BE karma as a bribe.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that your OH and daughter are NZ citizens may also mean less strict rules apply.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi Sophie.

You are right in saying that the New Zealand Immigration Manual does state it requires a 5 year 'clear' period for malignancies.

I am going to take a really unusual step here and suggest you contact a person who uses another NZ forum board. It's not forum etiquette to do this as you know but , hey, you need the help and I think this person is exactly right to help you.

It's a judgement call I'm making here as a BE mod. It's a bit out on a limb really, but I'm betting BE admin will think it's OK under the circumstances.
This person only posts there so it is the only way to contact them.

The person/user nameyou should contact is Nickbraddock and you will find him on the ENZ forum.

After submitting an EOI towards NZ PR his wife was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and so he withdrew a PR application a couple of years back at the beginning of 2006. He and his family have just landed in Xch NZ, June 2008 ...with PR. That is a far less than 5 year period.

Send the man a PM. and please don't be a stranger to this board. Come back and keep us updated as to how you get on. You never know who may be looking in that can help further or who your posts may help in the future.

Oh ! and have some BE karma as a bribe.
Thank you very very much, BEVS! I've tried joining ENZ though, and they don't like my yahoo address Might have to figure out something which doesn't involve me setting up yet another account that needs to be logged into all the time

I will stick around too. Last time I was here was when OH and I lived in Australia and weren't even married *lol* After a few visa incidents I thought we'd learnt all the tricks. Doh!

cheers, Sophie
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
The fact that your OH and daughter are NZ citizens may also mean less strict rules apply.
Maybe, and he does have excellent skills (mechanical design engineer). We'll have to see
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Just updating this post, very very belatedly

Basically I hopped along to the ENZ forum, found some answers and forgot to come back until now - naughty Soph!

So, what's the story? I haven't been for my medical yet, because we're still figuring out when to give it a go, however I have found out more about how NZIS are likely to regard my condition.
  • Step 1: wait until my next appointment with the consultant (Oct 09).
  • Step 2: request copies of my medical records.
  • Step 3: book medical and take along aforementioned documents, so the panel doctor can forward them to the inevitable medical assessor with my results.
  • Step 4: answer any queries they might have (or rope the consultant into it, since he's already told me he thinks I have a suitably low risk of recurrance).
  • Step 5: move to NZ!

I'm certain they'll pass me, but failing that I think we have an excellent chance of getting a waiver, since hubby is a returning Kiwi with a job on the immediate shortage list. He's being made redundant here in the UK by Xmas, so there's little to keep us here past that date

Of course, in the meantime I've also had to have a dodgy mole removed still waiting for the results of that, but even if it is dodgy I've seen that the NZIS guidelines say treated skin conditions are fine.

So, fingers are still crossed, but hopeful
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:21 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophiedb

Basically I hopped along to the ENZ forum, found some answers and forgot to come back until now - naughty Soph!

So, what's the story? I haven't been for my medical yet, because we're still figuring out when to give it a go, however I have found out more about how NZIS are likely to regard my condition.
  • Step 3: book medical and take along aforementioned documents, so the panel doctor can forward them to the inevitable medical assessor with my results.
  • Step 4: answer any queries they might have (or rope the consultant into it, since he's already told me he thinks I have a suitably low risk of recurrance).

I'm certain they'll pass me, but failing that I think we have an excellent chance of getting a waiver, since hubby is a returning Kiwi with a job on the immediate shortage list. He's being made redundant here in the UK by Xmas, so there's little to keep us here past that date

Of course, in the meantime I've also had to have a dodgy mole removed still waiting for the results of that, but even if it is dodgy I've seen that the NZIS guidelines say treated skin conditions are fine.

Hi there and welcome back! Have 'met' you before in other places !
It might be worth asking consultant to write you a letter stating prognosis etc to add to records .... pre-empt a later request!
Anyway good luck, keep on with the positive thoughts!
B x
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sophiedb

fingers crossed for you seriously!
Berni
x
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi there and welcome back! Have 'met' you before in other places !
It might be worth asking consultant to write you a letter stating prognosis etc to add to records .... pre-empt a later request!
It makes sense to spread an information-seeking quest across many boards

You're right, it would make sense to ask Dr C for a letter pre-medical too. I'll mention it at the check-up in October.

ta muchly!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 127luton
fingers crossed for you seriously!
Berni
x

Thank you