Thinking of moving to NZ

Old Dec 12th 2014, 10:30 am
Just Joined

dsg76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to NZ

Hi all,

We are a family of 5, our kiddies are 4, 2 and 10 wks old. My hubby is a gas engineer and currently has his own heating company in the UK. Where in NZ would he be likely to find work, where should we start our search? And although he has many qualifications (I will find out what they all are) what will he need to do to be more likely to secure a job? Schools and nearby amenities would be important too, as our eldest would be 5 next yr so school age. We dont mind some travel, he travels 4/5 hrs a day now so anything less is a bonus!!

We are just at the start of our journey so I will prob be on here asking loads of questions....sorry!!

Hope my ramble makes sense....got so much floating around my head right now!!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to NZ

Originally Posted by dsg76
Hi all,

We are a family of 5, our kiddies are 4, 2 and 10 wks old. My hubby is a gas engineer and currently has his own heating company in the UK. Where in NZ would he be likely to find work, where should we start our search? And although he has many qualifications (I will find out what they all are) what will he need to do to be more likely to secure a job? Schools and nearby amenities would be important too, as our eldest would be 5 next yr so school age. We dont mind some travel, he travels 4/5 hrs a day now so anything less is a bonus!!

We are just at the start of our journey so I will prob be on here asking loads of questions....sorry!!

Hope my ramble makes sense....got so much floating around my head right now!!
If he has his own company in the UK, why risk losing everything you have?
Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the South Island where it's colder would be a better bet, although heat pumps and fires are the main form of heating in NZ homes as many parts don't get cold enough for long enough to justify the expense of central heating/radiators and a lot of places don't have piped gas. We are near Wellington in a well insulated warm home,and only use our fire/heat pump in July and August (and occasionally June).

Having said that some UK friends who live in Wellington where it's colder and damper recently had gas central heating installed, but the cost was around $15,000 plus the monthly running costs so that's a lot of heat pumps/fires for the same price and is an unaffordable initial outlay for many people.

For a domestic market it's probably more installing gas fires, gas cookers and Rheen/Rinai hot water systems.

I don't know about the visa side of things, but you'd have to investigate. The plumber who installed our gas cooker (linked to a bbq gas cylinder outside) is an expat who's been here a long time. His company website is Plumbers Kapiti Coast He may be able to give you an idea of the possible market size/job potential.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

we just moved here with 2 toddlers and it's hard work I tell you. Do loads of research as it's not for everyone (obviously lol)
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would also echo what desmondo has said and say I think you would find it difficult on a tradies wage if your husband could transfer his qualifications from UK to NZ and you can uplift a visa.
Please check out the cost of living, lots of threads on that matter so use the search function above. Also the cost of moving, another thread to search through but ours was in the range of $15K with the four of us and transferring 3 bed house and car and that was in 2012.

Do you have family/friends here that could help out if you decide to move with setting up rentals, schools etc?
Old Dec 13th 2014, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There's lots of hoops to jump through to transfer qualifications and be able to work here as a gasfitter (see PGDB for more info) . Before you start looking at jobs and places to live you need to understand whether you have right qualifications and what you need to do in order to meet the visa and
Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board requirements.

A gas fitter for example is not on any of the skilled shortage lists so you would need to find a job to get a visa and you need that all important PGDB registration in order to get a job.

Gasfitter Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

Our BEVS is expert on this subject but maybe a little busy right now - so use search facilities and check out the advice given to other gasfitters and plumbers coming to NZ.

Once you have established suitable qualifications and visa then your search of where to live will largely be determined by jobs and whether your OH can earn enough money here to sustain your young family in the most difficult / early years.