British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Thinking ahead. 2yrs after PR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/thinking-ahead-2yrs-after-pr-624745/)

Numptyhead Aug 10th 2009 7:26 am

Thinking ahead. 2yrs after PR

Hi

I'm jumping the gun a bit as I don't quite have my PR but I do love to plan ahead :p.

You arrive in NZ with PR. What happens with that PR. Is it indefinite? Got a feeling not. Do we have to do something with it after 2 years. Do we have to prove ourselves again, by that I mean medicals etc.

Over the months I've seen the odd post about this subject but when I want to find them I can't.

Any help would be appreciated
:fingerscrossed:

Am Loolah Aug 10th 2009 8:33 am

Re: Thinking ahead. 2yrs after PR

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7828343)
Hi

I'm jumping the gun a bit as I don't quite have my PR but I do love to plan ahead :p.

You arrive in NZ with PR. What happens with that PR. Is it indefinite? Got a feeling not. Do we have to do something with it after 2 years. Do we have to prove ourselves again, by that I mean medicals etc.

Over the months I've seen the odd post about this subject but when I want to find them I can't.

Any help would be appreciated
:fingerscrossed:

When you get your blue stickers in your passport, one of them is a Returning Residents Visa - this is valid for 2 years from your date of entry. When the 2 years is up you print off the same Residents Visa form, complete it and return it with the fee and your passports to your nearest Immigration office and then you'll get back an Indefinate Returning Residents Visa and can then come and go as you please. After that, at the 5 year mark, you can become a Citizen.:thumbup:

Numptyhead Aug 10th 2009 9:38 am

Well you cleared that up nicely. Thank you so much...I seem to be thanking you a lot just lately:sneaky: xx

Am Loolah Aug 10th 2009 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7828603)
Well you cleared that up nicely. Thank you so much...I seem to be thanking you a lot just lately:sneaky: xx

:rofl: I accept bottles of Bollinger for my efforts ... :sneaky:

Numptyhead Aug 10th 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7828618)
:rofl: I accept bottles of Bollinger for my efforts ... :sneaky:

I know this is going to sound really ignorant...what is Bollinger?...I'm guessing champayne:sneaky:

Perry Groves Aug 10th 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7828751)
I know this is going to sound really ignorant...what is Bollinger?...I'm guessing champayne:sneaky:

will Veuve Cliquot do? :)

Genesis Aug 10th 2009 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 7830244)
will Veuve Cliquot do? :)

Mumm's the word. And for us thickos (me) what exactly are the advantages of citizenship over PR with the indefinite return stamp please?? I understand the cost for citizenship is about $300 per nipper and about $450 for adults.

Matewx Aug 10th 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7830315)
Mumm's the word. And for us thickos (me) what exactly are the advantages of citizenship over PR with the indefinite return stamp please?? I understand the cost for citizenship is about $300 per nipper and about $450 for adults.

I'd love to know too...

Can dear (oh dear) BEVS brief us all please?? You wait, she will write an essay :eek: ...

newkiwi Aug 10th 2009 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7830346)
I'd love to know too...

Can dear (oh dear) BEVS brief us all please?? You wait, she will write an essay :eek: ...

U can live and work in australia if youre a nz citizen.

it is also possible for the government to revoke your PR if you are deemed to be a threat to nz or if you commit serious crimes. there was a case a while back of a UK citizen who had lived in Aus since he was two, but never applied for citizenship havig his PR stripped and deported out of aus after he committed some crime or other.

as it stands now you can move away from nz for extended periods of time if you have indefinate PR, but thazts not to say the Government wont impose restrictions on PRs living outside of Nz in future

you can represent nz in sport so if you have olympic ambitions or want to play for the all blacks..

the main thing really is the security of having a nz passport that you cant have taken off you, even if you decide to go and live somewhere else for extended periods..

BEVS Aug 10th 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7830346)
I'd love to know too...

Cheeky git. :lol:

New kiwi seems to have covered all bases nicely. In fact I'm bunging 'em karma just because.

Matewx Aug 10th 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks newkiwi... It makes sense...

Oh came to Uk on a student visa, then work visa, then PR, then Citizenship... Then we left for NZ lol ~ But at least now he is "Europeen" with all the benefits linked to it... For once, we can move back to my lovely France tomorrow n not worry about papers (sweet dreams...:rolleyes:)

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 7830663)
it is also possible for the government to revoke your PR if you are deemed to be a threat to nz or if you commit serious crimes. there was a case a while back of a UK citizen who had lived in Aus since he was two, but never applied for citizenship havig his PR stripped and deported out of aus after he committed some crime or other.

Can i just say how bad I feel for the poor idiot that committed crimes to have his PR stripped and that he got deported... Bless... The idiot should have thought about it in the first place anyway...

On a different level, it amazes me how some ppl commit crimes and then ask you to feel sorry for them coz they are being deported or similar... Well!!! How about you think to start with? I know some countries are not the safest to be deported to, I know!! Then, even more, you should think!!! Rant over! :eek:

Matewx Aug 10th 2009 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7830702)
Cheeky git. :lol:

New kiwi seems to have covered all bases nicely. In fact I'm bunging 'em karma just because.

Awww it's only coz I love you... :wub::wub::wub:

newkiwi Aug 11th 2009 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7830707)
Awww it's only coz I love you... :wub::wub::wub:

im getting out before this turns into a menage a trois...

JAJ Aug 16th 2009 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7830315)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...nd_Citizenship