British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Things moving fast - i need some advice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/things-moving-fast-i-need-some-advice-725413/)

AndrewDel Jul 18th 2011 11:13 pm

Things moving fast - i need some advice!

Hi!

Well, i starting applying for jobs tonight in New Zealand.

Within an hour or so i've had a few of phone conversations with agents and a number of email responses, lots of positions available.

I'm on the long term skills shortages list (Software Tester), my wife is on the immediate skills shortages list (Primary School Teacher).

I don't hold a degree in the relevant subject, but have a good deal of experience and hold an ISEB Certification which is a recognized qualification and will be looking to secure a role before the move anyway.

What can i do immigration papers wise to move the process along. I'm unsure whether i can start doing areas of the application process and then once i have a job offer can finalize it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i did not expect such a rapid and positive response regarding jobs.

Persephone Jul 19th 2011 12:56 am

Re: Things moving fast - i need some advice!

That all sounds positive!
Are you planning on applying for residency or a temporary work visa? What you do may depend on how quickly you get a job offer and when they want you to start [residency applications take longer than work visas though you can apply for both at the same time if necessary]
If you're wanting to apply for residency then you'll be going down the skilled migrant route, you can start filling in an EOI now and save but not submit it. This will also give you an idea as to what documents you need to gather together. Definitely proof of work experience [references/letters from employers, payslips, contracts, job descriptions, proof of hours worked per week], relationship [marriage cert, proof you have lived together for over 12m, letters and bills in both names, photos etc etc], qualifications and full birth certificates. Basically too much is better than too little! You'll need to do medicals and apply for Police certs when the application is progressing. There's bound to be something I've forgotten:)

If you have over 100points you can submit an EOI and you can add a job offer to it later but maybe wait until things are looking more finalised? Just start filling it in and collecting evidence. Some of the stuff you'll need may be needed for a work visa appl. anyway.

VickyVN Jul 19th 2011 6:32 am

Hi there. I'm a Business Analyst. I also hold ISEB certification. I have their Diploma. Immigration wise this has not helped me one bit because I too don't have a degree, just 6 years experience and my ISEB Diploma (as well as an NVQ 3 in IT User and a certificate in ITIL).

For me, I will need a firm job offer to give me the points I need to be able to apply for residency. I'm still not certain I can get in under the Skilled Migrant bit despite being on the LTSS because they keep harping on about having a tertiary qualification.

Where there's a will there's a way though and having spoken with a couple of agencies and employers previously, they are more interested in your actual work experience and skill set than your teritary quals. I just wish Immigration had the same concept of recognising our professional qualifications as well as academic qualifications. :sneaky:

Good luck. :fingerscrossed:

I personally am going out in a few weeks on a working holiday visa to tour about for a bit, help out in Christchurch and then start looking for that job offer...:thumbup:

BEVS Jul 19th 2011 6:42 am

As far as I am aware, it is a degree that is needed per NZIS website.

I'm moving this over to Immy.

Persephone Jul 20th 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9504069)
As far as I am aware, it is a degree that is needed per NZIS website.

I'm moving this over to Immy.

You're right [as always, do I get some extra karma for sucking up?:p], just had a look at the LTSSL and a degree is needed for the bonus points