Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

is there a time limit on using the visa once it's granted?

is there a time limit on using the visa once it's granted?

Old May 19th 2014, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Kat1206 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is there a time limit on using the visa once it's granted?

Hi there,

This is the first question I've posted here!
My partner has been offered a position in Wellington and they want him to start asap, naturally we need more time to plan the move etc so we thought he could go first and me and the kids follow later.
1) should we all apply for permits together or just get the ball rolling with him

2) if we applied together as a family and he left first do me and the kids need to use the visa within a time limit say 3 months?

Any advice appreciated. Also if there's a forum other than this which is good for advice let me know. Thanks so much
Old May 19th 2014, 7:43 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is there a time limit on using the visa once it's granted?

if they want him to start immediately he can apply for a temp work visa which will enable him to get out within weeks. he can then apply for a more permanent visa which will include you and the children as long as the job offer enables a visa to be issued. once you have the correct visa for the family you have 12mths to enter NZ.
Old May 20th 2014, 4:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is there a time limit on using the visa once it's granted?

MrsF's suggestion is a good one.

It all depends on how soon you're likely to follow him. If you're wanting residency anyway then you may be able to wait for that to go through, you and the kids wouldn't need a work visa then as you'd enter as residents.

His job would have to be permanent for a residency application.
P

Forgot to mention, I am not sure how long you have to enter on a work visa, it's not immediately obvious from the website.

Last edited by Persephone; May 20th 2014 at 5:09 pm. Reason: forgot to answer the question!