Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Is there any way of getting an extra 5 points?

Is there any way of getting an extra 5 points?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

GILDOC will become famous soon enough
Default Is there any way of getting an extra 5 points?

We are completing our EOI and have 105 points. As there hasn't been a selection of 105 points since March I don't want to pay the money and then be chucked out the pool in 6 months time. I know with Australia visa you can sit an IELT (some English test) and get another 5 points, is there anything like this for New Zealand?

If my dh gets an NVQ in slating/plastering we would then have 125 points (decreasing to 120 after I turn 30) but this will take about 2 years! Don't want to wait this long before we can even apply! Help
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all
Default Re: Is there any way of getting an extra 5 points?

Originally Posted by GILDOC
We are completing our EOI and have 105 points. As there hasn't been a selection of 105 points since March I don't want to pay the money and then be chucked out the pool in 6 months time. I know with Australia visa you can sit an IELT (some English test) and get another 5 points, is there anything like this for New Zealand?

If my dh gets an NVQ in slating/plastering we would then have 125 points (decreasing to 120 after I turn 30) but this will take about 2 years! Don't want to wait this long before we can even apply! Help
Check out the NZIS website for Form NZ1060 this is the English Language requirements, generally the English language tests are for those prospective immigrants who have English as a second language and may need to sit a test in order to assess their level of understanding the language.

If your education was completed in mainstream schools within Britain then you would probably be classed as an English speaking person and there would possibly be no requiremnet for a IELT test to be done.

Securing a job offer would give you more points.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is there any way of getting an extra 5 points?

Originally Posted by GILDOC
I know with Australia visa you can sit an IELT (some English test) and get another 5 points, is there anything like this for New Zealand?
No. There are no extra points for an IELTS test.

I will echo Garfield. Securing a job offer will give more points.