British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Temporary Work Permit - How long? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/temporary-work-permit-how-long-640377/)

RogerG Nov 12th 2009 7:04 pm

Temporary Work Permit - How long?

Hi all hope someone can help.

Everyone I speak to about temp permit / visa (ie recruitment agents, employers) says 10 days to process, and even on the Wellington immigration office website it says 10 days (albeit after being allocated a CO, which could take 20 days) for Essential Skills 1 and 2.

As it is now mid November, and we plan to book shippers etc to empty our house soon to leave the UK on Jan 10th, any ideas when I am likely to get a response? Can't cope with being in limbo right upto Xmas and not being able to secure a rental / school place for January.

Thanks for any help / advice.

Matewx Nov 12th 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Temporary Work Permit - How long?

Hi RogerG & welcome on BE

In my experience, it took over 2months... For a very little medical detail...

So what I'd say is we can't tell you... And as far as am concern, I would not book/plan anything until you're sure...

LucyS Nov 12th 2009 8:31 pm

I applied for my work visa through the London office and it took almost exactly the 6 weeks - I dropped it off and collected it as was terrified of it going missing in the post!
My application was not simple, as my job is not easy to understand so the Case Officer had to refer it to a Technical Officer to decide if there really are no Kiwis that could do it! Also my CO went off sick and despite the fact that you do get a direct phone number once you are assigned one, it just went to voice mail and it was obvious no-one else picked up my application while she was sick. I had to resort to ringing the premium phone number and getting stroppy with the poor woman who answered the phone (though she was actually very heplful).

If you are applying through an office here don't forget NZ shuts down at Xmas even more than the UK does as it's main school holiday time.

Have to say it was the longest 6 weeks ever - by the time I got here my job had been held for me for over 3 months so was dreading my boss deciding it was just too much hassle!

LucyS Nov 12th 2009 8:39 pm

Regarding booking shippers, in my experince once they had worked out all the costs and knew roughly when I was going (and I had paid them!), they didn't mind only getting a few days notice. It's not like domestic removals when everyone tries to move on a Friday so you have to give them weeks of notice.

I know it was easier for me as it's just me so I just got everything collected then stayed at a friend's for a few days.

I didn't book my flight until I had my visa (mid July flight to NZ at 10days notice - boy that cost me LOL)

Good Luck!

RogerG Nov 13th 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by LucyS (Post 8094781)
Regarding booking shippers, in my experince once they had worked out all the costs and knew roughly when I was going (and I had paid them!), they didn't mind only getting a few days notice. It's not like domestic removals when everyone tries to move on a Friday so you have to give them weeks of notice.

I know it was easier for me as it's just me so I just got everything collected then stayed at a friend's for a few days.

I didn't book my flight until I had my visa (mid July flight to NZ at 10days notice - boy that cost me LOL)

Good Luck!

Lucy, thanks for your comments.I dropped the forms off in Wellington and mistakenly thought that it would take 10 days. Now I don't know if permit will come through before I am due to go back to the Uk for Xmas.

Guess I could be stuck in worse places but life costs!!

What is your profession? I'm in accounting.

Cheers

LucyS Nov 14th 2009 6:05 am

As you said there are worse places than Wellington!

I used to be an accountant (or should that be I'm a recovering accountant?!). Now work in software sales and implementations.

Not been here long but if you need any help with anything Wellingtonian PM me

Lucy

Sarah1999 Nov 16th 2009 4:32 pm

we're still waiting on ours to come through. Almost been 2 months and are just waiting on the medical assesor to get back to us. Very frustrating!

TeamEmbo Nov 16th 2009 5:03 pm

You wont need a school place in January. Kids will still be off on summer hols. Go back beginning of February.

RogerG Nov 19th 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 8102498)
You wont need a school place in January. Kids will still be off on summer hols. Go back beginning of February.

Thanks - I had actually researched that point!!

After sending fax to immigration office in Wellington yesterday they called today to say permit / visa had been approved - 11 working days in total!!

Going to get stamp in passport tomorrow - can't believe it has gone through so fast - only arrived here 7th Oct on visitor visa, now have 24 mth visa and job.

Willing to help anyone who needs my limited advice - one thing I would say is bin the lawyer / advisor.

Happy summer everyone!

MnB Nov 19th 2009 9:15 am

Hey ...good news !! enjoy, enjoy enjoy!!!:thumbsup: