British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   TEMP VISA + EOI OR JUST EOI??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/temp-visa-eoi-just-eoi-738477/)

ellenarosemary Nov 10th 2011 8:55 am

TEMP VISA + EOI OR JUST EOI???

My husband is currently on his way back from NZ having been offered a job as a Baker which is on the ISSL.

My question is, do we apply for a temporary visa and EOI (then hopefully ITA/PR) (dont need to be in NZ till mid Feb), or do we take the chance (and hopefully save money) and just apply for the EOI?

We have already got all the necessary paperwork together, plus all the paperwork from the prospective employer, just need to get our police checks and medicals done and fill out the forms etc on line.

If we just went the EOI route, what sort of timescale are we currently looking at (taking into account the shutdown over the christmas period).

Thanks (i'm so excited - trying not to be yet though!!!) :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2011 9:04 am

Re: TEMP VISA + EOI OR JUST EOI???

I would say go the EOI route and hope that the turn around is quick, with a job offer you will get priority. I would also say make sure that you do have all the documents they ask for, references etc, evidence that you do actually live together marriage certificate doesn't really show that you are committed to each other.

If the EOI route looks like it may not get through by Feb your OH could always go out and get a temp visa, you just need to go to the Immigration Office in the town you will be working with the job offer, passport photo's etc and they will give you a temp work visa that day, well that's how my husband did it.

Persephone Nov 10th 2011 9:33 am

Congratulations on the job offer!

One thing to be aware of is that you will not gain bonus points for a job on the ISSL, they are given for those on the LTSSL only. You will get the 50pts for the job offer. You need to work out your points and look at recent draws from the pool to see where you stand.
It all goes on how long NZIS take with your EOI. Current processing times are on the INZ websitehttp://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/
All depends on how risk averse you are I suppose as you may or may not have enough time for a residency application. Maybe look into the costs of a work visa, if it's not too exorbitant then cover yourself???

There's no easy answer [ as always!] :)

ellenarosemary Nov 10th 2011 9:51 am

Thanks Persephone, yes realise dont get any points for LTSL, I reckon with the job offer we would between us have a maximum of 130 hopefully!

50 job
10 outside auckland
10 age
10 relatives

Slightly unsure on the following:

30 work experience (slightly unsure as only have National Insurance letter showing where he worked) as all his previous 'relative' employers have either changed hands or closed down - although he's been in his current job for 9 years - but not as a baker.
10 my basic qualification AAT Level 3
10 before july 2011

Hopefully this will be enough :fingerscrossed:

The only problem if we are accepted and need to go mid feb will be the cat, as he only had his rabies jab in october.

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2011 9:58 am

you can fill out the EOI online to ascertain your points quota without submitting so maybe try that and save it for when you are ready, then look at the last pick to see what points where being pulled.

ellenarosemary Nov 12th 2011 3:33 pm

Spent ages today filling out the EOI on line, but its all done and submitted and paid. Next draw is wednesday hopefully will get picked as got a job offer. :fingerscrossed:

Decided to go down EOI route first and if not quick enough will have to apply for a temporary visa so my husband can start his job in February.

Cyprus Girl Nov 14th 2011 6:32 am

Hi,
Good luck we are in a similar situation so please let us know if you get picked out of the pool this week.
Angie