British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   teaching, senior management and Immigration Consultants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/teaching-senior-management-immigration-consultants-546338/)

tullula sunrise Jul 1st 2008 9:47 pm

teaching, senior management and Immigration Consultants

Please can anyone offer me any advice? We have decided to go ahead and use immigration consultants to help us source a job for my husband (currently a head teacher in a special school) and then with the immigration process. We recently visited NZ for three weeks which included my husband attending a job interview. Unfortunately he was unsuccessful on that occasion (they employed a New Zealander) but he received some good feedback. We are close to selling our house here in the UK so we want to place ourselves in a good position if other jobs come up so that's why we want the expertise of a consultancy. There are so many to choose from so I was just wondering whether anyone has used a particular company whose services they could recommend? Any advice from anyone who has successfully secured a teaching job too would be appreciated. In anticipation, many thanks.

newkiwi Jul 2nd 2008 9:47 am

Re: teaching, senior management and Immigration Consultants

Originally Posted by tullula sunrise (Post 6524392)
Please can anyone offer me any advice? We have decided to go ahead and use immigration consultants to help us source a job for my husband (currently a head teacher in a special school) and then with the immigration process. We recently visited NZ for three weeks which included my husband attending a job interview. Unfortunately he was unsuccessful on that occasion (they employed a New Zealander) but he received some good feedback. We are close to selling our house here in the UK so we want to place ourselves in a good position if other jobs come up so that's why we want the expertise of a consultancy. There are so many to choose from so I was just wondering whether anyone has used a particular company whose services they could recommend? Any advice from anyone who has successfully secured a teaching job too would be appreciated. In anticipation, many thanks.

any immigration consultant that charges you for assisting you with looking for jobs should be avoided in my opinion. If you want to use a recruitment agency for helping you look for a job, that is something you might legitimately do, but any reputable recruitment agent who will actually be of any potential use of sourcing a job gets their fees from the employer, not the prospective employee. If a recruitment consultant wants to charge you for helping you look for a job, run a mile... you will be wasting your time and money.

If you feel you need to go through an immigraton consultant (and im not sure you really do) then you can do that, but that is a different process to looking for a job.

Immigration consultants assist you with immigration submissions
Recruitment agencies help you find a job

I personally would avoid any company offering both services

Beware of companies promising you jobs in exchange for a fee.

teebrown Jul 2nd 2008 10:49 am

I agree with the post above, I am currently awaiting the reply from Immigration regarding the big yes or no, and I did everything myself, all the forms etc are straight forward and if there were any questions you could always ask on here.

Do you have enough points without a job offer? admitally having a job offer does speed the process up. Have you looked at the job websites, a few people on here have secured jobs via video phone links.

It is completely up to you which ever way you do it, but as I have said, if you need help and advice on anything, just ask on here.

PS if you look for websites in NZ use the NZ google www.google.co.nz

tullula sunrise Jul 2nd 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks so much for the replies and the advice. It's always good to have perspectives from others. We'll keep on searching for the jobs then as well as using the forum :)

newkiwi Jul 2nd 2008 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by tullula sunrise (Post 6526404)
Thanks so much for the replies and the advice. It's always good to have perspectives from others. We'll keep on searching for the jobs then as well as using the forum :)

I think there are people who got job offers as teachers, you can do a search on the forum.
Otherwise post and ask the question about teachers on the main NZ forum.
Good luck with the job hunting, it is a challenge but it is not an impossible one, just have a thick skin and accept rejection as part of the process....

nena11 Jul 3rd 2008 12:34 pm

I will agree with the both previous posts, an immigration agent is not always the answer and they can not guarantee you (or your OH) will get the job anyway, they may help you with interviews and this is something you can do with out paying extra fees

Have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/london then click on ‘NZ Job Opportunities’ which is at the bottom of the left hand column, there are a few links for Education recruiters, this may be a good start

Good luck