British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Teaching- NZQA question from a UK teacher (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/teaching-nzqa-question-uk-teacher-766479/)

charlotte1818 Jul 28th 2012 11:17 am

Teaching- NZQA question from a UK teacher

Hi all,

I've been using this website quite frequently, and everyone seems so helpful. So, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers to elsewhere in the hope that someone here might be able to help me out! :)

I'm planning on coming over to New Zealand in a couple of months' time on a working holiday visa, as I'm 28. I'm hoping to get some supply work etc and see how things go regarding work- I'm an English teacher in the UK.

I've been getting all my documents together and am just about to send off my documents to get my qualifications assessed, but had a couple of questions about the NZQA form itself.

I did a PGCE in the UK, and as part of this I did two work based placements. Does this count as vocational training or work experience? Wasn't sure whether to include it as was part of the post graduate training. Similarly, unsure where to include QTS- at the moment, I think I should just include it within the documents section as proof of work experience.

Also, I need to include a certified copy of my passport- does anyone know how I get a document certified in the UK? It says that it needs to be somebody "authorised by law in your home country to certify documents". In the UK, doctors and teachers as well as lawyers are allowed to do this. But do I really need to get a lawyer to do it to be safe? What does it mean they have to do? Just sign it and state that it is a certified copy?

Sorry for all the questions; I have been looking carefully at the IQA guide, but the questions I have just don't seem to be answered there.

Thank you!
Charlotte

MrsFychan Jul 28th 2012 11:22 am

Re: Teaching- NZQA question from a UK teacher

a solicitor can certify copies for you.

charlotte1818 Jul 28th 2012 11:29 am

Thank you! Can get that sorted out then :)

Chippy Giles Jul 28th 2012 2:04 pm

Ask the costs first it cost us £100's of pounds as they want certified copies of everything, course breakdowns etc, some solictors will charge £5 per page....

charlotte1818 Jul 28th 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks- I will definitely keep that in mind, although I only have the option to send original documents with the exception of forms of identity.

HeatherGirl Jul 30th 2012 6:33 pm

I'm at the same stage (certified copies for NZ teaching registration) and I am sure I saw somewhere on the website than you can get a registrar to certify copies. We certainly used the registrar to certify copies for my husbands electrical registration and it was accepted no probs. The registrar did it for free:thumbsup: Saved us a packet. Best check first though if it's acceptable.

Engel Oct 21st 2012 9:59 pm

What did you include?
GCSEs, A-levels, or just your degree and PGCE?
What about transcripts?
Did you include qualifications that were not related to teaching?
Do they need actual references or just a letter from my last school confirming my dates of work?

charlotte1818 Oct 25th 2012 11:20 am

You have to include certificates for GCSEs, A Levels, degree and PGCE as well as transcripts. I had to get in contact with my uni and request the transcript for the PGCE, as they don't always give you one as a matter of course. I don't have any qualifications not related to teaching, but I can't imagine it will do any harm including them. I didn't include actual references- I included the official letter I got offering me employment, and then just a summary of teaching roles with details of referees at bottoms- a CV like it suggests on the website. It seemed to be acceptable anyway, as have just received my report... be prepared for it to take longer than the 35 working days! Good luck!

Engel Oct 25th 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks. My old Uni's are sending transcript and even a copy of the old pospectus for my 20 year old degree. Do you think the 20 day fast track will actually take 20 days?