British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Teacher NZQA question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/teacher-nzqa-question-806956/)

jimmygrimble Aug 23rd 2013 2:28 pm

Teacher NZQA question

Firstly, hello everyone!

So, I've taken the plunge and have applied for my visa, Residency Partnership category. Should come through very soon now.

Anyway, I have realised I've still got so much to do, and there's lots I'm unsure of. I'm hoping you guys can help!

Firstly, I'm a Primary School teacher. Do I need to get my qualifications looked at by NZQA in this instance? I've read some contrasting things, in that because I would be residency class, I don't need to do this. Can somebody shed some light on this please?

I'm really unsure if I need to have this done before I apply for registration at the teachers council or not (or at all!)

Thanks in advance, it's hugely appreciated.

The4Muskateers Sep 3rd 2013 1:14 pm

Re: Teacher NZQA question

Hi, we are in a similar situation with my wife not knowing what to do about her qualifications (also a primary school teacher)...... I should have my temp work visa for the new year as I have a job contract but my wife will in effect be unemployed and probably on a dependency visa :confused:

jimmygrimble Sep 3rd 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by The4Muskateers (Post 10883413)
Hi, we are in a similar situation with my wife not knowing what to do about her qualifications (also a primary school teacher)...... I should have my temp work visa for the new year as I have a job contract but my wife will in effect be unemployed and probably on a dependency visa :confused:

From what I think I have found out, you do indeed need to get any relevant qualifications authorised by NZQA. The biggest pain for me has been getting hold of my PGCE certificate. I didn't go to my graduation and therefore have never had it. QTS has got me by in the UK. Seething. Uni are taking forever to get back to me and sort this out. Taking into account the time it takes everything to be done by NZQA it looks like it might well be a very difficult first year in NZ for me, financially speaking.

The4Muskateers Sep 3rd 2013 6:14 pm

Ah my wife has hers phew..... it does look like we will have to do the same with her qualifications!, red tape being the bane of everyones life............... good luck!:fingerscrossed:

jimmygrimble Sep 3rd 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by The4Muskateers (Post 10883920)
Ah my wife has hers phew..... it does look like we will have to do the same with her qualifications!, red tape being the bane of everyones life............... good luck!:fingerscrossed:

Tell me about it! Same to you and your wife:thumbsup:

Persephone Sep 3rd 2013 7:03 pm

If you have a job offer then your wife will be able to apply for an 'open' work visa for the same length as your work visa.
It means she can do any job.
Registration is needed to work as a teacher whatever visa you're on. Unfortunately I can't help with the teacher registration process as it's not my field:)

M_and_M Sep 7th 2013 9:27 am

You will need to have the qualifications assessed by NZQA. The teacher reg people will also want to see the original qualifications. To be honest the teacher reg took longer than anything else, and. We ended up waiting for the originals to come back from Nz before we could send them out AGAIN to NzQA (because they don't seem to talk to each other!)

Have a look at my blog for the timeline and the order we did it in. Any questions, flick me an email, I am an ex pat teacher now registered and working in New Zealand. :)