Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Take the offer......or just come over then look??

Take the offer......or just come over then look??

Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Take the offer......or just come over then look??

I have a feeling HappyNz may be able to answer this one.......a drink in it if you do and can settle my fears once more...........or for anyone else who can help.

Quick run down.........

OH = HGV driver with offer. Permanent nights at $16.50/hour. Rotorua.

Kids = 3 poss 4 coming over. 3 at school age. Do NOT want to have to pay school fees for this little lot.

Me = Transport admin/dispatch. Will work when kids are settled.

So, my question is........do we accept offer and get a works/students visas and then have the possiblity that the job wont be whats wanted OR come over, find a job, then get visa's? Does it take long to get paperwork sorted whilst in NZ and should we have meds/police checks done before we go (obviously in time frame for visa application).

I really dislike the fact of someone helping us then going elsewhere once in the country. I imagine we would reather stick it out for a couple of years rather than upset anyone. My main problem is I have no intention on coming back to the UK so it has to/will work and I want to get as much right first time round than mess it all up.

House is now sold so cannot wait for another offer.

Nici
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:51 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Take the offer......or just come over then look??

Originally Posted by kato33
I have a feeling HappyNz may be able to answer this one.......a drink in it if you do and can settle my fears once more...
Hi Nici. A virtual bourbon would go down a treat.

Quick run down.........

OH = HGV driver with offer. Permanent nights at $16.50/hour. Rotorua.

Kids = 3 poss 4 coming over. 3 at school age. Do NOT want to have to pay school fees for this little lot.

Me = Transport admin/dispatch. Will work when kids are settled.
That all sounds OK so far.

So, my question is........do we accept offer and get a works/students visas and then have the possibility that the job wont be what's wanted OR come over, find a job, then get visa's? Does it take long to get paperwork sorted whilst in NZ and should we have meds/police checks done before we go (obviously in time frame for visa application).
If you accept the job on offer there are a couple of advantages. First of all you won't have to buy onward passage as the NZIS realises that plane tickets cannot be bought twelve months in advance. Outward passage will be waived. For a family your size that saves a considerable amount I'd think. Also, with the job offer you will have an open work permit allowing you to work with whomever at whatever. Your kids will have their student permits. Having these gives you more flexibility than be restricted by having visitor permits. It will help you settle in if your kids are in school rather than hanging in limbo.

If the permits are for a year I suggest get those police clearances applied for now. They have a shelf life of six months. Your meds apparently will be cheaper here and besides, they will be valid for three months so you may want to get them here.

I really dislike the fact of someone helping us then going elsewhere once in the country. I imagine we would rather stick it out for a couple of years rather than upset anyone. My main problem is I have no intention on coming back to the UK so it has to/will work and I want to get as much right first time round than mess it all up.

House is now sold so cannot wait for another offer.

Nici
Yes, I see what you are saying. I think sticking it out for the length of the first permit would be fair. It also gives you breathing space to settle in and explore what other opportunities are on the ground.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:12 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

What he said
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:48 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz

Yes, I see what you are saying. I think sticking it out for the length of the first permit would be fair. It also gives you breathing space to settle in and explore what other opportunities are on the ground.
I had a two year work permit, that tied me to the employer. After six months, I had realised that the job and my employer were crap.

18 months of misery later, I handed in my notice before the ink was dry on our PR stamps. Now have a great job and love my work.

Could have changed jobs, but it have meant going through the work visa application process, which would have meant no income until it was all sorted.

Looking back, I now think of the time as a "stepping stone" to getting PR and the life we wanted. And it was not all that bad, after all, at least we had the weekends and could go down the beach after a crap day at work!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Have now been told that the work hours are going to be 4pm till 6 am permanent nights.
I really think that our life would be awful with those hours.

I am now in 2 minds really. Perhaps its just nerves.

The visa will be for 3 years as they have offered permanent employment. With me working and the kids at school we would never see each other

Now what shall I do. The prospect of living over the other side of the world with no man beside me for 5 out of 7 days seems awful. I am strong enough on my own but love my husband very much and we really enjoy each others company.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:58 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Have now been told that the work hours are going to be 4pm till 6 am permanent nights.
I really think that our life would be awful with those hours.

I am now in 2 minds really. Perhaps its just nerves.

The visa will be for 3 years as they have offered permanent employment. With me working and the kids at school we would never see each other

Now what shall I do. The prospect of living over the other side of the world with no man beside me for 5 out of 7 days seems awful. I am strong enough on my own but love my husband very much and we really enjoy each others company.

Hi Nicci

I can't tell you what to do but my advise to you would be consider what you quality of life is now and what it would be if you went with the job offer

I'm not sure of other peoples experiences, but in our case, from the start to completion, the whole process felt 'right'. Even the hassles with immigration although bloody frustrating at the time felt like a formality.

At the end of the day you have to choose what is right for you.