Study route - can you help???

Old May 13th 2008, 6:37 am
Just Joined

sparkmarkirl will become famous soon enough
Default Study route - can you help???

Hi all,

I'm interested in taking the study route to PR - has anyone taken this option? Have you heard anything about it?

I'm 26, from Dublin, Ireland. I work in Television Production, as a production manager (accounts, admin, health and safety, hire/fire scheduling etc) for the past 7 years. I have worked for both the BBC UK Networks and RTE (the Irish BBC), but sadly NZ don't require my skills.

My only option (not having gone to collage - I worked my way up) in my opinion is the trade/skills study route - am I correct?

Any advice would be greatly received!!!

Regards,

Mark
Old May 13th 2008, 11:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Study route - can you help???

Originally Posted by sparkmarkirl
Hi all,

I'm interested in taking the study route to PR - has anyone taken this option? Have you heard anything about it?

My only option in my opinion is the trade/skills study route - am I correct?

Regards,

Mark
I'm sorry . I haven't heard of this option.

If you wish to study in New Zealand as an international Student, you can learn about the options HERE [please click the light blue type to access the link]
Old May 13th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

desert bloom is an unknown quantity at this point

hello there..

I'm doing the study to PR option...once you have a nz qualification and with a job offer in your field of study..along with other options needed in the points system.you can apply for PR once your studies have finished...if not i think you can get a work permit and then apply for PR once you have enough points or have been in NZ for the required time...i must warn you..the fees are extortionate!!!

i'll confirm this once OH comes home as he knows these things better!
hope this helps!
Old May 13th 2008, 11:46 pm
`

This is very interesting & helpful Desert Bloom.

Are you coming in as an international student then? From your posts it does seem you will be paying international student fees.

What of your OH ? Will he remain outside of the UK, or will he come in on a visitors visa for just 6 months.

Do you have a link to the area of the NZIS website please
Old May 14th 2008, 6:00 am
Just Joined

desert bloom is an unknown quantity at this point

hi bevs..
yes..i am coming as an international student..the fees are really high...i am lucky enough to have my dad finance the whole thing...

here is a link which has some information on the study to work/PR..scroll down to the page for the information :

http://migrationnz.blog.co.uk/2008/04/

once you have a student visa..your oh gets a work permit for the duration of your course...if they are earning more than 40k you get additional points...mine has already been offered a job in chch...

hope this helps!
Old May 15th 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

George2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sending a link to my blog.

I didn't know that it would make it to this forum - what a surprise.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:43 pm
Banned

aysh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desert bloom
hi bevs..
yes..i am coming as an international student..the fees are really high...i am lucky enough to have my dad finance the whole thing...

here is a link which has some information on the study to work/PR..scroll down to the page for the information :

http://migrationnz.blog.co.uk/2008/04/

once you have a student visa..your oh gets a work permit for the duration of your course...if they are earning more than 40k you get additional points...mine has already been offered a job in chch...

hope this helps!
Hi...

I would like to know that if i have to take the study route, am i required to study for a certain period or can i just study something in the long term list (eg. chef - extensive 4 months course Cert 4 in Prof Cookery) and on completion get a job offer and PR.... or do i have to study for a period of 1.6 years... I have been told this by an Education Agent.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 18th 2008, 9:03 pm
`

hi bevs..

hope this helps!
Hi Desert Bloom.

I rather meant a link to the section of the official NZIS website. The blog seems to be just a short precis of what is on the opening pages of the actual NZIS website .

This is what I found on the NZIS website HERE. Which, if any of these, are you and your partner coming on

Joining your partner in New Zealand
If you want to join your partner in New Zealand and work, you may be eligible for a work visa or permit under our Family Stream.
All applicants must meet our health and character requirements. The other requirements you must meet depend on your partner's immigration status.

1 - Your partner holds a New Zealand work permit
If your partner holds a work permit for more than six months we may grant you a work permit for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner.
However, you are not eligible for a permit if your partner's work permit:

is a special permit that allows them to work in New Zealand until we verify their claim of refugee status
was granted under the October 2000 Transitional Policy for people who were unlawfully in New Zealand on 18 September 2000
was granted under one of our working holiday schemes
was granted under the Pacific Quotas Residual Places Work Permit Policy
was granted under the Horticulture and Viticulture Industries Seasonal Work Permit (SWP) Policy – 2006 Pilot
was granted under the Crew of foreign chartered fishing vessels policy, or
was granted under the Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) Work Policy.

2 -Your partner holds a New Zealand student visa or permit

You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner and they must hold a New Zealand student visa and/or permit to study for:

a qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or a postgraduate qualification.

3 - Your partner holds an NZAID-supported New Zealand student permit

You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner, and you must have:

evidence of a job offer (the offer of employment is not subject to a labour market test)
written approval from NZAID.

and your partner must:

meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.
If you are eligible, you may be granted a work visa and/or permit for the length of your job offer, but for no longer than your partner’s NZAID scholarship.You will need written approval from NZAID in the two-year period after the end of your partner's NZAID scholarship. This does not apply to short-term visitor visas or permits.

I'm also interested to learn more about this....

if they are earning more than 40k you get additional points
Points where? Do you mean on a subsequent EOI ?

Thanks for the info.