British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Students Fees in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/students-fees-new-zealand-675941/)

mckenziekeeperlit Jul 9th 2010 7:52 pm

Students Fees in New Zealand
 
Hi there, quick enquiry if anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

My dad currently lives in New Zealand, where I would very much like to join him. I was going to apply for a sudents visa, and go to Canterbury University.

The problem is that the tuiton fees are far too expensive for me to even begin to pay for, is there any way I can get some sort of help, or a student loan to cover these fees?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

tht Jul 9th 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Students Fees in New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by mckenziekeeperlit (Post 8689726)
Hi there, quick enquiry if anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

My dad currently lives in New Zealand, where I would very much like to join him. I was going to apply for a sudents visa, and go to Canterbury University.

The problem is that the tuiton fees are far too expensive for me to even begin to pay for, is there any way I can get some sort of help, or a student loan to cover these fees?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Unless you are an NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident you will have to pay international fees which are much higher than domestic ones (there are exceptions for some PhD's etc). I don't believe you can get a student loan unless you are one of the 2 cases I mentioned, a bank loan is also unlikely, what would there be to stop you leaving and not paying them back. You may be able to get a loan in your home country to study abroad. As an aside to get the student visa you may have to pre-pay all your fee's for each year in any case.

tht

BEVS Jul 10th 2010 2:05 am

Re: Students Fees in New Zealand
 
I'm not sure I understand.

You have also posted that you wish to return to Australia but that the Oz visa is expired.

Perhaps list which of your relatives have what PR for which country and/or citizenship and where they currently reside.

JAJ has offered a suggestion I see.

mckenziekeeperlit Jul 10th 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Students Fees in New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8690402)
I'm not sure I understand.

You have also posted that you wish to return to Australia but that the Oz visa is expired.

Perhaps list which of your relatives have what PR for which country and/or citizenship and where they currently reside.

JAJ has offered a suggestion I see.

Yeah that's correct, my grandparents live in Australia, along with my two uncles, and my dad lives in New Zealand. What I'm looking for is a way out of this country, weather it means that I go to NZ or Oz, I really don't mind.

My grandparents and one of my uncles have NZ citizenship, but live in Oz, my other uncle got to Oz a few months ago on some sort of students visa.

My dad on the other hand, like me, had an australian PR visa, but went to New Zealand, as we were all going to go to Oz at the same time. I went home to the UK, and my visa expired, and my dad ended up having a child in NZ, so he stayed there, and ended up getting NZ PR (might be citizenship now I'm not sure), so his Oz visa has now expired.

I hope that makes sense to you, it's rather complicated I know!!!

BEVS Jul 12th 2010 12:39 am

Re: Students Fees in New Zealand
 
Confusing and complicated. :D

If you don't mind my asking where does your Mother reside and have you siblings? If so, where do they live?

Are you saying that one set of grandparents moved to live in New Zealand leaving behind a son - your father?

Did your father gained OZ PR from the UK but then chose to travel to NZ and use the OZ PR to enter and remain in NZ ?

If so , how long ago was this?

mckenziekeeperlit Jul 20th 2010 3:47 pm

Re: Students Fees in New Zealand
 
I'll try and start from the very beginning, so if I confuse anyone, apologies!!

I grew up living with my grandparents, and when I was younger, they wanted to move to Oz, the problem was that they were too old, so they moved to NZ instead, to get in through the back door.

My father and I decided that we also wanted to move, but only after I finished school, which was in 2005. We didn't see the point in getting NZ PR, as we would be moving to Oz in the end anyway, so therefore we applied for Oz PR.

When I finished school, my father and I went ot NZ to live with my grandparents until they obtained their NZ citizenship, where we all planned to move to Oz together.

I then returned home as I didn't enjoy my time there, and my grandparents moved to Oz after that. My father, who intended to move to Oz, ended up meeting a woman and having a child in NZ, so therefore stayed there.

I now want to move to either NZ or Oz, by whatever means, but what I think is that the easiest way for me to get into NZ would be by getting a students visa, and that the easiest way for me to get to Oz, would be by somehow extending my visa, if this is possible (as it expired last July).

mckenziekeeperlit Jul 20th 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Students Fees in New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8694581)
Confusing and complicated. :D

If you don't mind my asking where does your Mother reside and have you siblings? If so, where do they live?

My mother lives in Northern Ireland, she didn't move there at all, as my parents are separated. I do have brothers and sisters, all but one of which live in Northern Ireland, one lives in New Zealand, she was born last year.


Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8694581)
Are you saying that one set of grandparents moved to live in New Zealand leaving behind a son - your father?

Did your father gained OZ PR from the UK but then chose to travel to NZ and use the OZ PR to enter and remain in NZ ?

If so , how long ago was this?

Yes that is more or less the idea, though my father intended on moving to Oz in the end, only for the fact he had a child, which for whatever reason, now he has NZ PR.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:11 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.