British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Student to work visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/student-work-visa-480492/)

malcoltom Sep 11th 2007 7:56 pm

Student to work visa

Can anyone tell me if the student to work visa is the same as the work to residency visa?
The agency i had carry out my assessment tell me that i can apply for a 12 month course prior to leaving the UK and then complete the course (in a wanted trade) when i arrive. Then look for a job offer in that field.
I have no qualifications to assist me as i am but a lowly copper due to retire aged 52. I have mentioned in previous threads that i am a skilled painter and decorator but that is not on the wanted list.
I can turn my hand to anything and will be willing to give anything a go.
Anyone got any good advice?
The agency i used (no names, but in Egham) are willing to see the process through from start to finish but at a cost of £4k +.:eek:
Is it easier to come over on a hol and look for a job offer?
My brains coddled.:curse:
Regards
Mal

happynz Sep 11th 2007 8:43 pm

Re: Student to work visa

Originally Posted by malcoltom (Post 5299581)
Can anyone tell me if the student to work visa is the same as the work to residency visa?

No. To be honest, I've never heard of a student-to-work visa.

The agency i had carry out my assessment tell me that i can apply for a 12 month course prior to leaving the UK and then complete the course (in a wanted trade) when i arrive. Then look for a job offer in that field.

That is possible as long as it's an accepted qualification. I would think you are going to be dinged for international student fees which ain't cheap, amigo.

I have no qualifications to assist me as i am but a lowly copper due to retire aged 52. I have mentioned in previous threads that i am a skilled painter and decorator but that is not on the wanted list.
I can turn my hand to anything and will be willing to give anything a go.
Anyone got any good advice?

I know that Telford Rural Polytechnic in Balclutha here on the South Island have certificate programmes that might see you into the dairy industry. The dairy industry is booming! You willing to work down on the farm?

The agency i used (no names, but in Egham) are willing to see the process through from start to finish but at a cost of £4k +.:eek:

Bloody hell! That's close to NZ$12,000! For that I'd expect everything taken care of and delivered on a silver plate.

Is it easier to come over on a hol and look for a job offer?

I believe it is always better to have your boots on the ground.

My brains coddled.:curse:
Regards
Mal

Good luck Mal.