Student Visa Issue

Old May 23rd 2011, 7:37 am
Just Joined

avchd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa Issue

Hello

This year I have been accepted to read Film & American studies at University which I will start in September 2011. A compulsory part of this course is to spend a year as part of an exchange program at a university in the U.S, Canada, Australlia or New Zealand.

My problem lies in the fact that in 2009 I was convicted of two offences (Wounding without intent & Possession of an offensive weapon). For these crimes I received a 24 month conditional discharge. I was 17 at this time.

I will be applying for the student visa during my second year which will be in early 2013. At this point it will have been around 3 1/2 years since my conviction and by then they would be deemed 'spent' in the U.K.

Whilst i understand this is a few years away i am already panicking over deciding which countries i could and could not succesfully apply to.

I understand that you there aren't always police certificate checks for visas less than 24 months in length for New Zealand although i'm assuming checks will be done if there is any 'have you ever been arrested?' questions.

Whilst i am obviously not expecting a definitive answer here my question is do i even have a shot at obtaining a year long student visa with my record?

Any answers will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Student Visa Issue

bump
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future

Sorry but can't actually give actual answers but why don't you contact each countries immigration folk and ask them the question you asked here. This way you have plenty time to get any necessary paperwork that you might need when it comes to the application, and also know for sure which countries wont let you in.

I would say that you should probably not try and deny your past as if your found out then they are more likely to refuse entry.

Hope it works out or someone else can suggest something else.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've asked for all of the other countries and done some independent research (it doesn't look good for me as far as the U.S, Canada and Aus are concerned) but i read that police certificates are not usually requested for stays of less than 24 months in NZ, which would obviously be beneficial for me if background checks are not a requirement to gain a student visa, whereas they are needed for the other countries.