British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Student Visa Anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/student-visa-anyone-492107/)

Tentun Nov 6th 2007 6:51 pm

Student Visa Anyone?

Hi everyone

Just after some stories of people in the same boat as us. If there is anyone else out there - it will reassure us.

Has anyone gone down the route of studying something to get into NZ. I have chosen to study something that is on the long term skills shortage list so that at least my husband can come with me and work full time. We haven't actually gotten round to applying for the visa yet as we are still awaiting the decision from the University.

Has anyone else done this? Are we mad? Is it easy to get a student visa once you've been accepted onto a course? How easy will it be for my hubby to get his open work permit? What kind of things did people study to get them in?

Just need to know that what we are doing will work out for us as it's pretty nerve wracking!

Thank you

happynz Nov 6th 2007 7:11 pm

Re: Student Visa Anyone?

Originally Posted by Tentun (Post 5519540)
Hi everyone

Just after some stories of people in the same boat as us. If there is anyone else out there - it will reassure us.

Has anyone gone down the route of studying something to get into NZ. I have chosen to study something that is on the long term skills shortage list so that at least my husband can come with me and work full time. We haven't actually gotten round to applying for the visa yet as we are still awaiting the decision from the University.

It appears you have done your homework. From the NZIS website:
Partner’s work rights

Open work permits will be available to the partners of the following students:

* students enrolled in courses of study towards qualifications in areas of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List
* students enrolled in postgraduate qualifications i.e. levels 8, 9, or 10 on the qualifications table.

Originally Posted by Tentun (Post 5519540)
Has anyone else done this? Are we mad? Is it easy to get a student visa once you've been accepted onto a course? How easy will it be for my hubby to get his open work permit? What kind of things did people study to get them in?

Just need to know that what we are doing will work out for us as it's pretty nerve wracking!

Thank you

Which university have you applied to?

Tentun Nov 6th 2007 7:18 pm

University of Auckland.

I really don't have a clue because I've never been to NZ before but we took this mad decision to try and do this while we are still youngish. I was also considering AUT as a back up.

happynz Nov 6th 2007 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tentun (Post 5519701)
University of Auckland.

I really don't have a clue because I've never been to NZ before but we took this mad decision to try and do this while we are still youngish. I was also considering AUT as a back up.

Both are well-respected institutions of higher learning here in New Zealand.

You do know that you have chosen - accommodation-wise -- the more expensive city do live, work and study in. However, perhaps money isn't your most pressing issue. Not everyone is as skint as me.
:o

Tentun Nov 6th 2007 7:31 pm

Hmmm I do know that, it is a worry because we are coming over with our life savings which will be virtually nil once I've completed my studies and we've actually gotten around to getting permanent residence. All this for a dream!

We have friends and family in Auckland (not close enough family to sponsor us) so we thought it was the best place to start, perhaps once we're over there we will investigate alternative places to live. I fancy the South but hubby says too cold & too many earthquakes - hmmmmm.

happynz Nov 6th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tentun (Post 5519792)
Hmmm I do know that, it is a worry because we are coming over with our life savings which will be virtually nil once I've completed my studies and we've actually gotten around to getting permanent residence. All this for a dream!

We have friends and family in Auckland (not close enough family to sponsor us) so we thought it was the best place to start, perhaps once we're over there we will investigate alternative places to live. I fancy the South but hubby says too cold & too many earthquakes - hmmmmm.

Don't worry about earthquakes. The whole country is seismically active so you pays youse money and takes youse chances wherever you choose to live here. As far as cold goes, even Auckland housing can be damp, cold and miserable in the winter if you are unlucky to get accommodation that is shaded and doesn't get sun.
You might find that your housing funds will stretch further in Hamilton (University of Waikato), Palmerston North (Massey University), Christchurch (University of Canterbury) or Dunedin (Otago University).

Tentun Nov 7th 2007 6:59 am

thanks, that's helpful. I will investigate the other Uni's and see what I can find.

Traykolaj Nov 7th 2007 8:47 am

Can anyone give me any info??
I have paid my deposit for a college course staring in July next year, as yet i have not been given a code, how long does this take?and when do i apply for my meds? also i read that after finishing the course in oz you have to gain 12-18months experience before PR, my sister has been in oz for 18years and would be able to sponcor me, im 33years old, does anyone know if i would have to gain the experience, also i have nearly finished a haidressing course, but because i have no experience i will have to do it again in oz, someone pleeeeeeeeease help!!!! :eek:

happynz Nov 7th 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Traykolaj (Post 5522581)
Can anyone give me any info??
I have paid my deposit for a college course staring in July next year, as yet i have not been given a code, how long does this take?and when do i apply for my meds? also i read that after finishing the course in oz you have to gain 12-18months experience before PR, my sister has been in oz for 18years and would be able to sponcor me, im 33years old, does anyone know if i would have to gain the experience, also i have nearly finished a haidressing course, but because i have no experience i will have to do it again in oz, someone pleeeeeeeeease help!!!! :eek:

Are you going to study in New Zealand or Australia? If Aussie, well, I haven't any idea. Sorry. Have you tried the Australia forum here on British Expats?