British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Sticker or Passport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/sticker-passport-920137/)

Reylan Dec 12th 2018 8:48 pm

Sticker or Passport?

If granted Citizenship but still have a number of years to run on UK passport, which would be the better option, to get a NZ Passport or get an endorsement in UK Passport?

MrsFychan Dec 13th 2018 7:54 am

Re: Sticker or Passport?

entirely up to you, we are now NZ Citizens but have yet to apply for the passport, but even when we get the NZ Passport we will keep the UK one up to date.

Reylan Dec 13th 2018 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12608264)
entirely up to you, we are now NZ Citizens but have yet to apply for the passport, but even when we get the NZ Passport we will keep the UK one up to date.

Did you get the endorsement in your UK passport? I thought I had read somewhere that your residence visa becomes invalid when you become a citizen so could be a problem if you travel on a UK passport without the citizenship endorsement (I could be entirely wrong).

MrsFychan Dec 13th 2018 6:04 pm

to be fairly honest Im not to sure. we have'nt got out NZ passports. I did have a little problem getting back out of the UK back in June as I had forgotten to transfer the visa into after renewal but just meant I had to queue up and see a real person and explained I had forgotten to do it and that I was in fact now a Citizen of NZ, she cleared me through and said it happens a lot. I did call immigration about it when we got back but for the life of me I cannot remember what they said, think it was all a bit to confusing so decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Maybe I should really try and suss it out, but you know, Life at that

Not sure how we would go about leaving the country, or the logistics of utilising 2 passports on one holiday, like leave NZ on NZ passport, enter UK on UK passport.

Reylan Dec 13th 2018 8:17 pm

Not sure how we would go about leaving the country, or the logistics of utilising 2 passports on one holiday, like leave NZ on NZ passport, enter UK on UK passport.[/QUOTE]

I wondered about that as well.

BEVS Dec 13th 2018 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 12608579)
Did you get the endorsement in your UK passport? I thought I had read somewhere that your residence visa becomes invalid when you become a citizen so could be a problem if you travel on a UK passport without the citizenship endorsement (I could be entirely wrong).

That is correct.
You are no longer a UK citizen granted NZ residency. You are an NZ citizen with dual citizenship. That is different and NZ Immy records should show that.
There is a need to have the NZ endorsement in your UK passport .
Having said that we haven't done that . We obtained our NZ passports and travel on these. However I do intend that we apply for those endorsements for our UK passports at some point .

It's all money :unsure:

Vitalstatistix Dec 13th 2018 8:46 pm

We have NZ passports and UK ones. If we are going to the UK or Europe we leave on our NZ passport and enter the UK with our UK passport. On leaving we present UK passport and enter NZ with our NZ one. Simple!

Reylan Dec 13th 2018 9:47 pm

It's all money :unsure:[/QUOTE]

:( Isn't everything these days!!

Reylan Dec 13th 2018 10:31 pm

Just another question. If you have an NZ Passport and renew your UK Passport do you need an endorsement in your new UK one (which won't have any other residency visas in it). I'm thinking get an endosement until UK Passort runs out and then get an NZ Passport and a new UK one as well. Of course, I do have to hope we get granted citizenship first :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Dec 14th 2018 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12608643)
We have NZ passports and UK ones. If we are going to the UK or Europe we leave on our NZ passport and enter the UK with our UK passport. On leaving we present UK passport and enter NZ with our NZ one. Simple!

Yep thats what is what we were thinking :thumbsup:

MrsCakey Jan 31st 2019 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12608643)

The husband and kids have NZ and UK passports and we do this as well. It really is that simple :)