British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Sponsoring parents... it's complicated! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/sponsoring-parents-its-complicated-758840/)

Boogieboard May 20th 2012 2:26 am

Sponsoring parents... it's complicated!

Hi all - bit of a complicated situation but hoping someone can help!

My wife and I have had a residency visa for a year and a half (came in on skilled migrant category). Have totally settled, bought a house, good jobs etc.

We would love for my mum, step-dad and uncle to emigrate (as would they) and was wondering if we could sponsor under the parent category.
Mum is 54, step-dad is 56 (they aren't married), and my uncle who is 64 (mum is his carer as he has learning difficulties).

Have we been here for long enough to be sponsors?
Would my mum & step-dad need to be married for both to be sponsored?
Would my uncle be able to be included in the application?

My parents would both work if they came over, my uncle would be at home and would not need any assistance (physically or financially).

I know there is a fair old wait under the parent category, but if it was possible and something to consider for the future it would be awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

simonmarkellis May 20th 2012 3:32 am

Re: Sponsoring parents... it's complicated!

Originally Posted by Boogieboard (Post 10071442)
Hi all - bit of a complicated situation but hoping someone can help!

My wife and I have had a residency visa for a year and a half (came in on skilled migrant category). Have totally settled, bought a house, good jobs etc.

We would love for my mum, step-dad and uncle to emigrate (as would they) and was wondering if we could sponsor under the parent category.
Mum is 54, step-dad is 56 (they aren't married), and my uncle who is 64 (mum is his carer as he has learning difficulties).

Have we been here for long enough to be sponsors?
Would my mum & step-dad need to be married for both to be sponsored?
Would my uncle be able to be included in the application?

My parents would both work if they came over, my uncle would be at home and would not need any assistance (physically or financially).

I know there is a fair old wait under the parent category, but if it was possible and something to consider for the future it would be awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

You have to have had permanent residency for three years before you can sponsor someone... i don't believe your Mum and step Dad need to be married in order for both to come over, probably just need to prove they are in a long term relationship. I don't know if your Uncle could be included in your application, you'd probably need to ask immigration...

Boogieboard Jun 2nd 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Sponsoring parents... it's complicated!

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 10071496)
You have to have had permanent residency for three years before you can sponsor someone... i don't believe your Mum and step Dad need to be married in order for both to come over, probably just need to prove they are in a long term relationship. I don't know if your Uncle could be included in your application, you'd probably need to ask immigration...

Thanks for your reply - immi dont make it easy to find these questions out do they! We've got over a year until we're eligible then to figure it out! Cheers again :)